UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

A Guide to Proper Buying and Selling

Terron

Knight
A Guide to Proper Buying and Selling

Selling an item? Buying an item?

Whether you're buying or selling an item, ye who initiates the transaction are the one whom should be responsible for starting the bidding. By not stating a price, you are either out to rip someone off or don't know the going price for such an item.

It is highly advised to search the price-check forum for a ballpark price for the item you're looking to buy/sell/trade. If your item is not returned in a search of the price-check forum; post a thread in that forum asking so.

If you neglect to mention an opening bid, the default is 1gp.
We do not use "reserves" here. If you will not take less than 1000gp for an item, then that must be your opening bid.

If you're selling; post a screenshot of the item up for bid in the initial post if possible.

Worried about being scammed? Take lots of relevant screenshots or a Razor Packet Video during the transaction. This will be your only hope to get a chance to get your money/items back, should you actually be scammed.

Use an appropriate, relevant topic.
Good: "SELLING: Blessed, Fallon Hued sash"
Bad: "w00t items"

And finally, DO NOT BUMP YOUR POSTS

Addicted

Disciple
Re: A Guide to Proper Buying and Selling

Terron said:
If you neglect to mention an opening bid, the default is 1gp.

We do not use "reserves" here. If you will not take less than 1000gp for an item, then that must be your opening bid.

Guys, this means you do not "reserve the right to not sell". You have to start your bidding at the min amount you will accept.

umm actaully i think it should go the other way around, the seller should always have the right not to sell. its their stuff, if they dont like the price they got then they shouldnt have to. You use a lower starting price cuz you know if you ask lets say 600k for a CBD no ones gonna bid. But if you start it at lets says 350k, people start bidding and hey dont even realze theyve bid over 600k for it. It should be once youve bid you should have to pay that price. The reason being, you see some one on the forums that supposidly "scammed" you. You bid a high amount on their item and then not buy. Then no one else bids on that item and you dont get to sell it. This is just what i think. I mean this isnt real money anyway i think if you wanna sell then sell but if you dont want to then keep it. Its only fair. I dont see these forums really as an ebay for uo but more like a price checker for your items. Lets face the acts ive posted many time on the price check forums and got 0 responses. This is just easier.

Mr. Fluffles

Wanderer

Crazy Cracker;1047182 said:
umm actaully i think it should go the other way around, the seller should always have the right not to sell. its their stuff, if they dont like the price they got then they shouldnt have to. You use a lower starting price cuz you know if you ask lets say 600k for a CBD no ones gonna bid. But if you start it at lets says 350k, people start bidding and hey dont even realze theyve bid over 600k for it. It should be once youve bid you should have to pay that price. The reason being, you see some one on the forums that supposidly "scammed" you. You bid a high amount on their item and then not buy. Then no one else bids on that item and you dont get to sell it. This is just what i think. I mean this isnt real money anyway i think if you wanna sell then sell but if you dont want to then keep it. Its only fair. I dont see these forums really as an ebay for uo but more like a price checker for your items. Lets face the acts ive posted many time on the price check forums and got 0 responses. This is just easier.

No offense to you personally, but this attitude wrecks the trading forums by encouraging the following (sadly, very popular) strategy:

-Post a thread that claims to be an auction for an item.
-Start the bid at a price for which they will not actually sell the item, so the thread gets bumped by people who are duped into thinking the seller is actually, well, selling. This is not an auction.
-Set the buyout at the minimum price they expect for the item. This is a direct sale. This is not an auction.
-State that "I reserve the right not to sell." There is no bill of rights for the trading forums; if there were, that would sure as hell not be one of them. This is not an auction.
-Post no indication whatsoever of an ending time, so the seller can leave the thread open indefinitely without having to complete the sale. This is not an auction.

Basically, the idea is to take all of the rewards of a real auction, without any of the risks, wasting everyone else's time in the process.

I'm not trying to rage out on people who accidentally forget to post a starting bid, ending time, etc; I've done it a few times myself. The real problem is in the people who purposefully misuse the forum.

The argument that the selling thread is just a price check forum is circular; the selling forum ends up being a half-assed price check forum because people with that attitude use it as such.

a19980512

Wanderer

Have u ever been to an auction house? If so you probably know that the strategy used here, even if it is an e-strategy, is almost the same (without the buyouts mostly). I agree with you about the buyout part, but not the bidding process. Auction houses make their PROFIT by setting a dirt cheap price for the things they auction (well below its book value) and then people start bidding and they end with a higher price than anything they could have set. This is done with 2 purposes in mind:

1. Once people get caught up in the bidding process they enter a competitive, status-driven frenzy state in which they bid more than they would normally do cause it started cheap. (case in point everything at a drive through where u pay 1.99 for something then 2.99 for something else and the "quick" total is like 3$ but in reality u are almost paying 5$ cause of the 0.99, same principle really)

2. The whole show, and what gets some people to go to an auction house is the whole bidding process. if u set the strating bid too high then u would get 2 or 3 bids tops and people would get bored. Also, if people dont go cause its boring u cant get small customers to go and bid more than they should.

I think the problem is the buyout, it turns things into something it really shoudlnt be. Maybe if they prohibit buyout setting forum would work more like an auction.

Traker

Wanderer

I want to auction a house I got, but i need 15 posts to link to a screenshot.... any workaround aside from posting random retarded sh1t(trolling)? Funny my account is 3 years old, but only like 2 posts!