UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

@Devs - Make Razor Great Again

Let me start by saying I've been a Razor user since 2008 and personally I love it. However, the truth is I'm in the extreme minority. I've hopped through three servers in the past three years and Razor is mocked by virtually everyone everywhere. If you say that you use Razor on a server where Steam is openly allowed you get dozens of "lol noob"s and other jibes and full length paragraphs about why Steam is better. And the same thing happens in the backstage on servers where people aren't supposed to play with Steam or EUO.

I remember reading a long while ago that autolooting wouldn't be added to Razor because users would consider it "cheating" and the dev team was trying to keep Razor clean for purists/loyalists. I admired that statement at that time... but what has ended up happening by keeping Razor "clean" is that it has all but died as a result. People just abandoned it in favor of other programs that gave them the goodies they wanted. Look at these forums, for example. There's barely any discussion or replies and on the first page in this section there are almost as many questions about Steam as Razor. Look around at the last couple year's posts on the coding/macro sharing pages for the major UO servers. They aren't talking about Razor. I'll outline why I think that's the case and hopefully convince you to take it in a new direction.

The idea of keeping Razor clean for the purists assumes that there are a statistically significant number of purists worth doing it for. Time and conversation has proven to me that there aren't. Personally I love making complicated macros in Razor. I think of it like an art. But by and large players don't want to work hard to make their macros. Whenever I'd post a complicated macro on a forum and explain how to change things liike item ids to get it to work for them, people would always reply either "are you for real?" or "i can't get it working". People want it easy-peasy lemon squeezy. They want drop-in scripts and macros that they don't have to look at or understand, they just copy/paste to the right folder, hit Play and go. Then they want to get in game and ask where all the best loot is and where to farm the best gear and use the pre-fabricated rune libraries to get there because people are lazy, plain and simple. And this makes sense. It was predictable, even. People who use these programs largely don't even want to play the game. That's kind of become the point. Why would we expect players to work hard at learning to create macros and scripts when they're looking for a program that can help them not work hard?

The average player and the greatest majority of players are not like you guys and they aren't like me. Their only joy in the game is seeing piles of gold and goodies at their feet gained with minimum effort and thought involved. And the two or three other people besides me who like Razor as-is can quibble on the boards about whether or not Razor should have an autoloot feature added, but the world has passed them and the program by. There aren't many UO servers out there with 300+ players anymore and there aren't many players on those servers using Razor from what I can see. If you want to preserve Razor as the relic it is, that's your prerogative of course. You could even call it noble to do so. But do it with full knowledge that that's what you're doing if you want to go that route. But if you'd prefer instead that Razor gets a modicum of respect in the gaming community and that it stops being the running gag, then it needs to be brought up to speed with the more versatile programs. I understand being resistant to change. Clearly, otherwise I wouldn't have posted this. But I'd really like Razor to change before I do.