UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Dueling Interface

zarag

Wanderer
Dueling Interface

I tried out that dueling interface for the first time tonight. I just wanted to say I think that alone is worth playing on this server for. My hat is off to the folks who put that in place... if I understand correctly, one or more of you wrote most or all of that code yourselves? Man, NICE job!!!

Can you post the directions for usage up again? It got lost in the wipe. I am wondering if it is possible to get to the arenas without having to start out as a duel with someone, because if not, that's the only comment I would have that you might consider in the next "version" :)

The only thing that sucks about it is finding out how bad dexxers suck in a closed arena agaisnt mages... or rather how bad I suck on my dexxer in a closed arena. I know everyone likes to talk sh*t about noob dexxers, but I enjoy playing them more than I do mages... especially with the poisoning. It's a great way to improve PvP skills though without having to put up with the bull$hit of losing all your gear when you lose, rezzing, talking or listening to shiite, etc.

Jismo

Wanderer
Can't you get more hits in in more inclosed spaces(?) or do you mean being able to run off screen and heal?

Apart from that I agree. It's an awesome way to learn to pvp, although pvp outside the duel arenas is realy different.

zarag

Wanderer
Thx for the link... After looking through that, I do have another comment (aside from making it so that a single player can show up at the arenas without first having to have someone to duel): Make explosion potions legal... and hiding legal (if it's not already) in the customization options. Maybe even make a few arenas that have a few obstacles. My point is it would be nice to have a dueling pit with "street rules" that anyone would and does encounter in a pk/pvp war outside an arena. Good for training, and also the "real shit" imo, for a duel anyway.

Galgum

Page
I think it's all in the customizable section of the dueling interface. The only beef I got with the system are the players themselves. I try to challenge people on my Eval Fencer Mage with my runics, I set it up for runics, send the challenge, instead of a duel I get ridiculed for having any association with the melee class. Most of the time it's, "lol runics cilck and chas n00b u suk irl" Other then that, it's a really bad ass system.

zarag

Wanderer
I don't get the "noob dexxer" shit. Let's add up the macro keys... dexxers have to deal with heal pots and bandaids as their only life line. They have to disarm, rearm, switch between 1 and 2 handed wpns, add on explosion, str and dex pots (a necessity). Trapped pouches are a necessity to live (mages need them too, but they can live w/o), If they have an auxiliary skill ike poisoning, hiding, stealing or magery, they need to have keys for that. Let's compare that to a mage, who has to worry about two things - running and about 5-7 key macros that are generally ALWAYS used in the same combination, over and over and over and over, ad nauseum. OK, and I'm not busting on mages, I just want to make a point to the folks always talking shit about dexxers... Who really has a more complicated character to play? I'd say it's about even. Add to this that ANYTHING giving melee ANY kind of advantage (like para blows) is met with gnashing of teeth and wailing by 90% of the pvp community because 90% of them are mages. Compare that with archery, which has been fucking gimped from 5 years ago and has NEVER come back to being anything better than an auxiliary spn for a single shot to start or end a fight. It's fucking sad, so any of you people who want to talk shit about dexxers, go make or join your own server where there's nothing but magery allowed, and there's no variation in characters... you can all use the same templates and circle jerk with each other all day and talk about how much better you are than the dexxers that don't exist in your safe little imaginary world.

Galgum

Page
This arguement has been beaten to death, at one point Osiris and I had like 2 pages of us going back and forth listing how our favored class was more gooder. I was defending Fighters with much of the same information, Osiris defended mages. If the thread was still alive, I'd post the link. Basically, in my eyes, what it comes down to, it's harder to keep a fighter alive unless you're a hybrid but once a mage loses mana they're pretty much screwed. I dunno, I like to say that fighters are no less difficult to play than a mage, but some people still don't agree with that.

fonis

Knight
Oh, but when they hit 0 mana all the mages do is rely on your lag to run, run, run in circles...

fonis

Knight
Also, you can get to the Del Pond dueling arena by going to Del and outside the gate.

Also, in the farthest NE corner of T2A (past the lake) there's another one.

And there are a few more scattered throughout T2A.

zarag

Wanderer
Chewbacca said:
Can't you get more hits in in more inclosed spaces(?) or do you mean being able to run off screen and heal?

Apart from that I agree. It's an awesome way to learn to pvp, although pvp outside the duel arenas is realy different.

Yeah, ur right about better hits in enclosed spaces, but I still suck in this game and am trying to re-learn everything. I was getting wiped by massive mana dumps, and wasn't really clear on what I could and could not do before the duel (i.e. str and bandage up hp) started, etc. I was acting like a mega-gimp and fighting mages who obviously were a hell of a lot more experienced at pvp, so I would have definately wanted to run off screen to heal a few times for sure, lol.

chupo

Wanderer
Mages take way more skill to play. Thers more timing involved, covservation of mana, and despite what you say way more variation in spell combos. This does not mean that all dexxors are newbs, but there is a general trend that less skilled (aka new) players start out on dexxers. Some get good and never switch to mages, some do, and some never even play fighters. Now if you dont believe me that mages are harder to play I encourage you to try one out, play on him till you get good as a mage and see if you win as much with him as you do with a fighter. Before you get all mad at me I need to tell you that I have a med warrior that I'm decent at playing, I've even beaten some of the top duelers on the shard with him( they have beaten me too). However I'm currently trying to switch to a mage and it's much harder. I started as a warrior because I wanted to concentrate on healing thru dumps before jumping into the mage role with both feet. It is a lot easier to concentrate on just healing yourself and when they run out of mana chasing them with your big stick. This doesn't mean that anyone can start on a warrior and be good. However, warriors are much easier to play. Your point by point comparison of fighter vs. mage doesn't hold water. It smacks of you needing to justify playing a warrior. The only justification you need is you like it more. So people say warriors are newbs- FUCK EM. Honestly if you care what people say this is the wrong shard for you, no matter what you do someone will call you a newb for it. No matter how good you get someone will talk shit to you, tell you why your a newb for how you BEAT THEM. Just keep playing a warrior if thats what you like, it doesnt make you a newb.

zarag

Wanderer
chupo said:
Mages take way more skill to play. Thers more timing involved, covservation of mana, and despite what you say way more variation in spell combos. This does not mean that all dexxors are newbs, but there is a general trend that less skilled (aka new) players start out on dexxers. Some get good and never switch to mages, some do, and some never even play fighters. Now if you dont believe me that mages are harder to play I encourage you to try one out, play on him till you get good as a mage and see if you win as much with him as you do with a fighter. Before you get all mad at me I need to tell you that I have a med warrior that I'm decent at playing, I've even beaten some of the top duelers on the shard with him( they have beaten me too). However I'm currently trying to switch to a mage and it's much harder. I started as a warrior because I wanted to concentrate on healing thru dumps before jumping into the mage role with both feet. It is a lot easier to concentrate on just healing yourself and when they run out of mana chasing them with your big stick. This doesn't mean that anyone can start on a warrior and be good. However, warriors are much easier to play. Your point by point comparison of fighter vs. mage doesn't hold water. It smacks of you needing to justify playing a warrior. The only justification you need is you like it more. So people say warriors are newbs- FUCK EM. Honestly if you care what people say this is the wrong shard for you, no matter what you do someone will call you a newb for it. No matter how good you get someone will talk shit to you, tell you why your a newb for how you BEAT THEM. Just keep playing a warrior if thats what you like, it doesnt make you a newb.

It doesn't bother me really, but I felt someone needed to say something back. I know that "noob" is the most overused term in any MMORPG with PvP, but it doesn't mean I won't say anything back.

Also, I HAVE played a mage, seriously, and for many months... as luck would have it though, well before mages were any good at pvp (my very first character), and it was pretty imbalanced against them. I enjoy some aspects of playing a mage, but I just happen to like playing dexxers a lot more, it's probably a personality thing or something.

Your points are well taken, and I know most ppl new to UO start out with warriors, hence the "noob image." NTL, I'm not trying to justify anything, and I definately don't agree with your reasons that mages are more difficult to play, but fuck it, I'm kicking a dead horse anyway... just wanted to rant against the "self important" noob (imo), shit-talking mages busting on dexxers in about 1 post out of 10... trying to even the score.

Q: How many UO mages does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: Three. One to screw it in and the other 2 to talk about how much harder it is to screw it in using magery keystrokes instead of dexxer keystrokes.

:)

Mr.Mischief

Sorceror
Which is harder is irrelevant. People play what they enjoy more, period. For some people, enjoyment comes from difficulty. This may come from either magery or dexxing.

Its not important in the least.