UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Guide: Frenzied Ostard Training & Damage Output

Maharajji

Sorceror

A Frenzied Ostard Damage & Training Guide:

Why should you take a group of Five (4X) Frenzied Ostards seriously? You have a perfect 7x mare and dragon combo you say? Why are you wasting your time on this thread? Well...

(I used a 7x 525/525 Mare and a 7x 824/824/475 Dragon)
(7x Ostard Pack: 180/166, 183/169, 180/163, 183/168, 179/169)

Frenzied Ostard’s maximum stats seem to be 185hp/170 str, as I have never tamed one above these stats. (dex increases to maximum of 125 through training)

Here the results are in text form in case the imgur.com link expired, three monsters:
Ettin: Mare/Dragon 4 seconds, Ostards 4.5 seconds.,
Cyclops: Mare/Dragon 14 seconds, Ostards 12 seconds.
Ogre Lord: Mare/Dragon 36.5 seconds, Ostards 35 seconds.

Winner Overall: Frenzied Ostards, better damage over a sustained time while Mare/Dragons have better burst damage.

Out of Three Fights:
Frenzied Ostards beat a near perfect 7x Mare/Dragon by 3 seconds total in 2 fights. While the Mare/Dragon beat the Frenzied Ostards by only .5 seconds in 1 short fight.

OTHER TESTING:

Wasn't sure if a pack of frenzieds could take down a Balron, I was worried about the firebreath on the dragon, but they pulled through, both were killed as quick or, more likely, quicker than what a dragon/mare combo could accomplish.

The advantage here is you only need about 82 taming and lore to have 100% chance to control frenzieds with commands, that frees up 36 skill points, if you can squeeze another skill or two for some points (like bringing meditation down to 70 from GM) then you can have a near decent extra skill you didn't have room for before.

This was purely a test of damage output, because we all know a mare/dragon will be the tanking option of choice against top level mobs with Hybrid’s current rule set. Though we should also take into consideration the PvP power of 5 frenzied ostards in close quarter combat, where they can effectively block someone in, preventing them from escaping (teleports & recalls would be interrupted).

BEFORE BEGINNING TRAINING

"Zero" your pets
=======================

I highly recommend “Zeroing” each Ostard, by that I mean, killing each ostard (after being bonded of course) 50-100 times until each skill is 0. Why? The skills that are the most difficult to train should be trained first since the closer a pet or a player gets to the 700 skill cap the slower overall skill gain becomes. Resisting Spells is notoriously difficult, train it first. ALSO: You won't be able to maximize a pets dexterity unless that stat has been given enough chances to raise. For instance, with 0 skills, going to 100 gives stats the maximum amount of opportunities to raise, as every single skill raise (.1%) has a chance to raise the correlated stat.

A NOTE ON DISCORDANCE: Lowers ALL pet's skills & stats by 20%. This means,ALL skills generally gain 20% faster. [i.e.: skills at 60% gain much faster than skills at 80%]

STEP 1: SPELL RESISTANCE TRAINING

A. Trap every Ostard on 1 tile.

Stand one tile away from where the ostards are, double click one, then dismount, double click the next, dismount etc. etc. etc. (refer to picture) Trapping can be accomplished with wooden boxes or a tile blocker of your choice. (refer to picture B in section B, I used wooden boxes)

B. Get THREE Mages far enough away from the Ostards so that melee combat is impossible. Have 1 Veterinarian stand inside or beside the pack.

0-30 Fire Wall (Only 1 mage & 1 veterinarian is needed for this )

One veterinarian heals each ostard once in a looping macro with 5 seconds between heals.

For the mage, setup a macro that casts a firewall every 50 seconds give or take 8 seconds..., the previous firewall must be gone before a new firewall can be added, otherwise you are wasting reagents.

Your Ostards will be 30 spell resist very quickly and will not raise above 30.4

[Poison field/paralyze field will not raise spell resistance further]

C. 30-100 I used Mana Vampire (expensive on regs, but eliminates any need for bandages, and will take each Ostard to GM spell resist) Being that I had some extra cash to spare and I didn’t want to deal with pet deaths and -1% skills per death (being that the Frenzied Ostard has low health compared to mares/drakes etc. it would be easy to have plenty of accidents)

YOU WILL NEED AROUND 12,000 OF EACH (BLOOD MOSS, MANDRAKE ROOT, BLACK PEARL AND SPIDERS SILK) TO GM FIVE OSTARDS FROM 30 MAGIC RESIST IF YOU USE THE INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE BUT TIME EFFICIENT MANA VAMPIRE ROUTE

Build a macro that that casts Mana Vampire on each Frenzied Ostard. Then, go back through that macro and after each "Absolute Target" (if using razor) add in a 1 second delay, followed by a "Insert If"->"Mana<40" followed by "Meditate -> pause 40 seconds" followed by "End If".

STEP 2: MELEE COMBAT TRAINING

I like to use a swamp dragon for their high hitpoints and low damage output. I don’t know of any other animal that comes close in this way. The White reindeer antlers you see jutting out of the ostard pack is my discordance-bard/veterinarian that has a looping macro that heals every Ostard once, (with a mandatory 5 second timer in between heals) & in between each five second heal timer, there are plenty of opportunities to throw in some 1 second discordances to each ostard. (EDIT: Discordance ruleset changed, no longer 1 second between discordance attempts) Do not “throw” a discordance on the swamp dragon or you will be back treading through swamp country in no time.
Overall, these macros are pretty simple if you have a basic understanding of macros and UO timers, easy to learn if you don’t. This is not a macro guide, though I'm sure a few exist.
A. Each Veterinarian around the swamp dragon has a looping macro that is basically, “Heal closest friendly -> Pause 5.00sec”. Three veterinarians can keep a swamp dragon alive until each ostard gets around 100 Wrestling 60 anatomy 60 tactics (which in discordance will come out to 80/40/40, so your swamp dragon will be dead sooner if you do not use discordance, USE DISCORDANCE) After each ostard reaches this point, the swamp dragon is on borrowed time and will soon be torn to shreds.
There may be people out there who will somehow manage to heal a swamp dragon against 5 ostards til they GM or, some people will just remove some ostards and stable them to reduce damage output. I however chose to pair them up as a 2v2 and have 1 ostard sit out until the other 4 were done.

I have one discordance-bard on the sidelines, while 3 veterinarians all have an identical macro that heals each ostard one time with the mandatory 5 second timer between heals. It is 100% NECESSARY to be certain each veterinarian’s macro is healing a separate ostard at any given time, so that heals are not wasted, otherwise you will have lots of dead ostards and -1% spell resistance to brighten your day.

B. During the Last 5% of anatomy and tactics training, their damage goes up to the point where you can have some dead ostards even if your three veterinarians are arranged perfect. You may need a fourth veterinarian, which is what I did as shown by the four different colored antlers jutting out of the pack. I kept them discorded manually but may just build a macro that does both healing and discordance... ugh...

I hope this guide helps people see how a 4x pack of these deadly creatures are within reach, and how they are a fun "toy" to have.
=============================================================

=============================================================
START TRAINING YOURS TODAY!

Last edited:

Sirkah

Sorceror
when i farmed vorpals i always went 5 hell hounds or 5 frenzied. the vorpals died a lot quicker imo, and since i was a nooby i didnt have to worry about paying tons of gold for a decent drag/mare.

Quizalotte'

Sorceror
WOW... I cant beleave it. I was wondering about this and there is actually a thread on it. Way cool and thanks for all the hard work! O and I really like the graph.