UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

How to Measure a House (Don't be Fooled!)

UO real estate is my specialty, and I want everyone to know that one of the most common scams I see is sellers who advertise their plots as something bigger than they actually are, and then claim they didn't know because the guy THEY bought it from lied to them. This is may be true in some cases but usually the seller is simply scamming you. He wants more money than his plot is worth, and if he can convince you the plot is bigger than it is, he might get it. But having said that, this scam would never work if people knew how to measure plots, so I have put together this helpful guide in the hopes it will keep the housing market more legit:

HERE IS THE WAY YOU MEASURE A CUSTOM PLOT:

#1. Stand directly under the sign. If the sign is right above your head, you are at the SW corner of the plot.
Elric_11-8_07.09.jpg
Now, go one tile South, and this will put you in the "Open Tile" that surrounds the plot, so nothing will get in your way as you measure. Count this tile as #1
Elric_11-8_07.09-1.jpg
#2. Make sure pathfinding is off. It will mess you up every time. Now, simply click east down the South face and move your guy one tile at a time along the stairs. Remember you are starting at #1, so your first click would be 2, then 3, then 4 etc. Stop counting when you get to the end of the stairs
Elric_11-8_07.10-1.jpg
Congratulations, you have now successfully measured the plot's first dimension, in the above example it's a 10x8, so it was 10 tiles from the sign to the end of the stairs.
#3: Now, go one more tile East, this will put you in the free tile that runs up the East side of the plot. Go TWO tile North (please remember, the stairs do NOT count as a tile on the plot! Again, THE STAIRS DO NOT COUNT.

You are now at Tile #1 and are ready to measure the second dimension of the plot:
Elric_11-8_07.10-2.jpg
Measuring this side, I find it handy to simply hit the PGUP button which will move you one tile North for every time you press the button. Hit the button, measure 2,3,4,5,6,7 and in the above example which is a 10x8, there will be an 8th tile when you come to the NE corner of the plot.
Elric_11-8_07.11-1.jpg Verify that you are at the end of the plot by going one more tile North and then try to go West. If you can't go West, you weren't at the end of the plot yet and you need to count another tile in the 2nd dimension. This also helps if there's blockage from neighboring houses and you can't really properly see the NE corner. If you can go west around the back corner of the house, there's no need to measure the North or the West...you are done! The plot is a 10x8 in the above example. Practice this technique with smaller plots until you've got it mastered, and then you won't ever again get sold a 15x16 in place of a 16x18 where the guy just friended you to the house and said "See? Check the sign, it's 2437!" Max storage houses have the same storage, so it's easy to fool people who don't know how to measure. Hopefully this will be helpful in eliminating these shenannigans. Peace. -Elric

Attachments

• Elric_11-8_07.11.jpg
    Elric_11-8_07.11.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 70

Smokeuog

Sorceror
Thanks for moving this guide! :)

Hopefully we see you back on hybrid again Soon Elric.

This is a great guide for measuring a plot with or without a design on it but I Just wanted to add that if you are buying an empty plot like in the screens above, if you own it or can get the seller to friend you, you can actually just check the value of the house in the house sign menu and then match that gold value to the different plot sizes/prices in the house placement tool menu :)

I'm going to double check when I log on in a bit but i think the only plot sizes that have the same value would be for example 9x14 and 14x9 which you will know the difference as they are completely backwards of eachother if that makes sense lol