UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Mike Rowe on High Cost of College

Pepsi_Rox

Knight

Some really good info in here, post topics if you'd like to discuss them. Really curious what other college educated or blue collar people take out of this interview.

It's a really good video, and if you don't know Mike Rowe is a total fucking badass. He doesn't just play one on TV.

captinpower

Sorceror
Yeah I always did like Mike Rowe, intelligent guy. Good video.

As a cultural anthropologist myself I have many opinions on this subject, but I will leave it at this; college only pushed me further into debt without a real career path, though I feel worse for my cousin who became a lawyer and has 10x as much debt with a job she hates. I will likely get my CDL in 2016.

Pepsi_Rox

Knight
Yeah I always did like Mike Rowe, intelligent guy. Good video.

As a cultural anthropologist myself I have many opinions on this subject, but I will leave it at this; college only pushed me further into debt without a real career path, though I feel worse for my cousin who became a lawyer and has 10x as much debt with a job she hates. I will likely get my CDL in 2016.
Totally agree. I studied economics in college and have worked blue collar and white collar on and off since. As someone who enjoys computing, I actually prefer blue collar. There is something satisfying about using your own hands and mind to troubleshoot and solve problems.

At some point this bubble will pop. The burden of student loan debt is pushing a lot of young adults toward renting as opposed to buying a home. Whereas 40 years ago an 18 year old would incur $100,000 in debt with a tangible home mortage. Now 22 year olds graduate with $100,000 in debt and an intangible item that has no monetary value to reclaim, less indentured servitude.

captinpower

Sorceror
Yep you know it. I mostly worked as a shipping manager in the renewable energy industry before and after college. Funniest/Ironic part was that I went back to the same job after college and I got paid less. LOL

Tobias

Sorceror
Even though we have somewhat free education, here in Denmark, the problems Mike Rowe described, is also excatly what is going on here.

Too many people, takes 2-3 higher educations, meaning they won't start their actual work before being 28-30ish.
People tend to overqualify, for no real reason than because "they can".
Quite sad really.