UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

New Poll - Should AOE be true AOE?

Should Area of Affect spells truly be Area of Affect and hit anyone in their path?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

White Lotus

Sorceror
Why YES?
-Well AOE spells ALWAYS hit everyone from day one.
-This change was recent and made when people voted for POTS not to hit people in town. There was never anything brought up concerning AOE spells and i personally think they got changed on accident.
-There are other ways to make the game "harder" for reds
-Why play a red when you can just sit on a blue and cast eq/ms/blades and have no risk of attacking other players. They are called AREA OF EFFECT for a reason people.

Josey

Traveler
Why YES?
-This change was recent and made when people voted for POTS not to hit people in town. There was never anything brought up concerning AOE spells and i personally think they got changed on accident.
-Why play a red when you can just sit on a blue and cast eq/ms/blades and have no risk of attacking other players. They are called AREA OF EFFECT for a reason people.
complete cancer.
Just leave it how it is please, its perfectly fine.

Death To You

Sorceror
I think spell aoe, including summons, should have true aoe. However I think explo pots aoe should stay the same, used to be the lamest thing when people would dismount guard wack you or when you're 1v1ing someone on your blue and there friend comes up to get hit by your pot so you would become grey. Let's be real, you're not going to be able to kill anyone 1v1 that knows how to play without explo pots, not with the playstyle people use these days, i.e. wands and offscreens.

Without pots it would kill a lot of ability to solo on a red, if you're not soloing in dungeons then you will most likely go to brit bank to find a fight. You won't be able to throw pots in town without a very large risk of getting guard wacked and they will just be able to hug guard zones or run back to guard zones if you manage to get one out with no consequence.

haggen

Sorceror
Honestly selective AOE makes things much simpler, I like it. But I've always enjoyed the crudeness of UO, so to be fair about it I'd say go with AOE hit all. But then again it's kind of hard to predict spell and pot effects this way, so I'd say go with AOE hit all but also think of someways to make those effects known and predictable, to give less room for mistakes.

Anti.Christ

Sorceror
current SPELL AOE is great and gives many of the spells like poison field, parafield, and aoe spells a use. In Champs and actually making a mage a template to farm with!

before no one used them because it was pretty much a flag waving (Hey come flag me and kill me )
Why YES?

• Potions DAY ONE Have been like that too sir.... so why the fuck should potions and spells be different? its like you guys wana pick and choose.
Potion AOE = Easy mode with no risk of death/flaging to the most powerful template (all drawbacks removed w/ aoe) Spell AOE = Hard or a negative for pks end of story. Seems like u guys want easy mode potions and then spells to be changed because it gives reds a disadvantage.
In other words you only want AOE changes to apply to things that will give u some benefit and not to apply to things that give you a disadvantage,.... Seriously if this changes i think potions need to change. There should not be a pick and choose BS. it needs to stay balanced ALL THINGS HAVE SAME AOE.

• Why should potions be changed and not spells? thats bs in my book.
  • Please name your ways to make it harder for reds. This change will make it easier for them w/ pretty much no draw backs. If your going to take out something that currently gives reds a disadvantage (Pretty much The only one) there needs to be a substitute. (Balance)
  • Why play a red if your going to whine about pretty much the only draw back of being red? i mean its like you want reds to have no negative consequences

Last edited:

Anti.Christ

Sorceror
I think spell aoe, including summons, should have true aoe. However I think explo pots aoe should stay the same, used to be the lamest thing when people would dismount guard wack you or when you're 1v1ing someone on your blue and there friend comes up to get hit by your pot so you would become grey. Let's be real, you're not going to be able to kill anyone 1v1 that knows how to play without explo pots, not with the playstyle people use these days, i.e. wands and offscreens.

Without pots it would kill a lot of ability to solo on a red, if you're not soloing in dungeons then you will most likely go to brit bank to find a fight. You won't be able to throw pots in town without a very large risk of getting guard wacked and they will just be able to hug guard zones or run back to guard zones if you manage to get one out with no consequence.

Incorrect. Other shards have kept the OLD AOE for potions and made dismount guard wack a non issue.

Lets be real you guys want easy mode alchy and to take out the disadvantages for being red. I MEAN YOUR A PK Shit should be Hard,Annoying, Rough, and annoying for you guys!!! your a fucking EVIL PLAYER.

for god sake THis would be a disadvantage for BLUE players that are following the path of righteousness. WHY the fuck should pks EVER be given the upper hand?

Im a old schooler, and i just cant understand this new era of trammy pks lol

Last edited:

Death To You

Sorceror
Incorrect. Other shards have kept the OLD AOE for potions and made dismount guard wack a non issue.

Lets be real you guys want easy mode alchy and to take out the disadvantages for being red. I MEAN YOUR A PK Shit should be Hard,Annoying, and for you guys your a fucking criminal for god sake.
You would have to name the shard, as not many shards have the same ruleset to have a comparison to Hybrid.

I don't think reds should be punished, instead they should be rewarded for creating pvp.

Anti.Christ

Sorceror
You would have to name the shard, as not many shards have the same ruleset to have a comparison to Hybrid.

I don't think reds should be punished, instead they should be rewarded for creating pvp.

Lets reward the murderers in real life. I mean most of them are killing other low life scum bags right? SOO they are helping us LOL
Full retard mode.

Your to dense and cant get past your close mindedness to see the bigger picture. There are players that dont revolve around pvp (casual gamers) more than you probably realise. All changes need to be looked at from every player type.

i changed my post since that quote btw

Death To You

Sorceror
Lets reward the murderers in real life. I mean most of them are killing other low life scum bags right? SOO they are helping us LOL
Full retard mode.

Your to dense and cant get past your close mindedness to see the bigger picture. There are players that dont revolve around pvp (casual gamers) more than you probably realise. All changes need to be looked at from every player type.

i changed my post since that quote btw
Lucky this is a game not real life..

What is the impact on the so called "casual gamers".

I'm all up for suggestions however you should go into more depth as to why feel pots should have true aoe from a game mechanic perspective.

Anti.Christ

Sorceror
Lucky this is a game not real life..

What is the impact on the so called "casual gamers".

I'm all up for suggestions however you should go into more depth as to why feel pots should have true aoe from a game mechanic perspective.

I have before many times. This thread is about spells im going to stay on topic, but if u wana hear my view i will be happy to pm u an old post i made on that.

Pepsi_Rox

Knight

Blue - True AOE
Red - True AOE
Faction - Selective AOE (pots in town)
Grey - True AOE

Murderers should not have the benefit of throwing potions in town, even if a blue attacks first. If you're worried about factioning in a red then you are probably on the wrong color character already. Reds in factions is a modern day problem, that used to be self correcting.

like the 2012 election - No vote is the best vote.

Ryan

UOGamers Founder
Staff member
Let's be clear, we dont have an abundance of murderers here... we probably have just the right balance honestly.

chad2.0

Traveler
Let's be clear, we dont have an abundance of murderers here... we probably have just the right balance honestly.

I would say there is a shortage, if anything. Just about the only people I see playing reds solo in high traffic areas are myself and Genocide Pete. I can't speak for him, but I know that about 90% of my fights occur in or around guard zones. As others have pointed out, in this day and age, it's near impossible to kill anyone with half a brain without explosion potions. It would be unfortunate if we were to lose the ability to use them in towns.

As for the actual field spells, I think true AoE is a better mechanic. I often see groups of blues factions face check each other with swarms precasted and they aren't punished for their poor positioning. Overall, I think it adds another element of skill to PvP.

TL;DR - Leave potions alone, change spells if you want to.

Anti.Christ

Sorceror
If you wana change spells so be it, but i think potions should be changed if spells are aswell. This is how to do it Other shards have this.

Make Pets take on the notoriety of the Pet Owner Gray owner = Gray Pet, Orange Owner = Orange pet.

Now you can Make everything True AOE and not worry about horse guard wacking. AS Chad just said this will add another element of skill to pvp.

White Lotus

Sorceror
  • Potions DAY ONE Have been like that too sir.... so why the fuck should potions and spells be different? its like you guys wana pick and choose.
Potion AOE = Easy mode with no risk of death/flaging to the most powerful template (all drawbacks removed w/ aoe) Spell AOE = Hard or a negative for pks end of story. Seems like u guys want easy mode potions and then spells to be changed because it gives reds a disadvantage.
In other words you only want AOE changes to apply to things that will give u some benefit and not to apply to things that give you a disadvantage,.... Seriously if this changes i think potions need to change. There should not be a pick and choose BS. it needs to stay balanced ALL THINGS HAVE SAME AOE.

Personally i agree all things should be fully AOE. However concerning potions I know alot of people would rather have potions not hit non combatants in town due to guard wacking and the fear of getting ganked in town. Also for making it harder on the solo'r. That being said at least the majority of people seem to use common sense and say potions for the sake of pvp shouldn't hit others just the combatant. Its not pick and choosing BS as you put it just common sense. You want to make as fair a playing field for all templates as possible.

Why should potions be changed and not spells? thats bs in my book.

Personally i think all things that are AREA OF EFFECT should be truely that. I mean it is not an AREA OF EFFECT spell (or potion) as it is now. It is selective catoring to blue faggotry on a PVP server. You are sitting here argueing why reds shouldn't have an advantage but in reality even with this changed back they are still at a huge disadvantage.

How Reds Are At A Disadvantage.
(just off the top of my head im sure there are more then this)
-They have no guards to protect them.
-They can be attacked by anyone without consequence.
- When they attack they can no longer flee, gate out, or hide in guards.
-Blues with no counts can recall out when attacked, reds cannot.
-They have to fight on guard zones to even get a fight against blues giving them no were to hide while the blue can hide.
-They cannot access any town bank(aside from occolo or bucs)

Please name your ways to make it harder for reds. This change will make it easier for them w/ pretty much no draw backs. If your going to take out something that currently gives reds a disadvantage (Pretty much The only one) there needs to be a substitute. (Balance)

Firstly clearly you don't play a red often as i just named 6 disadvantages off the top of my head. Obviously this is not (the only one). That being said I am not sure but ill get right on that I am all for making it harder for the red to follow the path of evil. In fact i think it would be cool to incorperate some sorta path of rightousness and path of evil into the game somehow.

Why play a red if your going to whine about pretty much the only draw back of being red? i mean its like you want reds to have no negative consequences

No one is whining this was an offical made thread people are just stating their opinions. AREA OF EFFECT at least for me has nothing to do with giving either an advantage or dis-advantage it just makes no sense that an AREA OF EFFECT is not EFFECT(spell or pot)doesn't EFFECT the AREA of the SPELL(or pot) fully.

Anti.Christ

Sorceror
That being said at least the majority of people seem to use common sense and say potions for the sake of pvp shouldn't hit others just the combatant. Its not pick and choosing BS as you put it just common sense. You want to make as fair a playing field for all templates as possible.
Well Lets see here Common sense? Smart AOE potions take any and every draw back away from alchy right now. In fact it takes skill away bro. There isnt one draw back for the skill alchemy which can take over 1/4 hp of a player with one potion. (very close to a 1/3 )

Personally i think all things that are AREA OF EFFECT should be truely that. I mean it is not an AREA OF EFFECT spell (or potion) as it is now. It is selective catoring to blue faggotry on a PVP server. You are sitting here argueing why reds shouldn't have an advantage but in reality even with this changed back they are still at a huge disadvantage.

How Reds Are At A Disadvantage.
(just off the top of my head im sure there are more then this)
-They have no guards to protect them.
-They can be attacked by anyone without consequence.
- When they attack they can no longer flee, gate out, or hide in guards.
-Blues with no counts can recall out when attacked, reds cannot.
-They have to fight on guard zones to even get a fight against blues giving them no were to hide while the blue can hide.
-They cannot access any town bank(aside from occolo or bucs)

1. Guards to protect them from what? The innocent people they kill?
2. I named this one, but in all reality reds WANT this. it gives them free reign to come into guards and own newbies.
3. Legitimate Draw back i personally cant play a blue char and keep my counts at 0 - Then again the players who dont kill anyone can recall, but thats okay cuz clearly they dont pvp.
4. See above
5. Oh noes you guys cant have free reign to kill blues all the time. Still though draw them away from guards. (half ass drawback) because when they attack you WHICH they will you can run all up in the guards and own him.
6. lolz i dont even think i should comment on this, but here goes. - Who really uses the bank on pvp chars? VERY few. lol

No one is whining this was an offical made thread people are just stating their opinions. AREA OF EFFECT at least for me has nothing to do with giving either an advantage or dis-advantage it just makes no sense that an AREA OF EFFECT is not EFFECT(spell or pot)doesn't EFFECT the AREA of the SPELL(or pot) fully.

Hmmm I think it is all about advantage, Disadvantage, and tears. See below

It is selective catoring to blue faggotry on a PVP server.

Why should the blue player have a RED players problem?
reasons why i think spells should stay the same
  • Gives poison,Fire, and para field a use in killing animals. Animals non poison resistant will cast cure over and over. Fire field interupts spells. Para field good for taming/surviving mass mobs.
  • able to use EV/BS with out worry of people flaging you to kill you and/or loot ur kill. oooor give u counts.
  • Champ Spawns
pretty much aoe ruins all these spells.

No one used them before this change due to the fact its a big flag waving in the air COME FLAG ME AND count or KILL ME

there is a easy fix to aoe and doesnt require any changes. (play a blue char)
see my previous post above for the potion AOE fix.

Last edited:

amtothepm

Knight
when potions hit area of effect, there was literrally 0 pvp in town.. when a newb logs in and sees pvp at britain bank [whereever] it shows them there is action

to be found on our server

Anti.Christ

Sorceror
when potions hit area of effect, there was literrally 0 pvp in town.. when a newb logs in and sees pvp at britain bank [whereever] it shows them there is action

to be found on our server

i say leave everything as is, but dont pick and choose spells or potions. Everything needs to have same rules and even posted a fix for guard wacking with your horse.