UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Patching your client

Shino

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Why patch?

Patching ensures your client is up to date with the server's version of UO. This way you'll be able to see all the latest content and you won't get stuck due to map differences. Occasionally, EA will even fix client bugs!

How to patch?

To get the latest client, you have two options:
  1. Running the game patcher.
  2. Re-installing the client from a recent installer.
(Sallos users, please skip to the bottom of this post.)

Running the game patcher is the usual method of patching. Only the new patcher included with client 7.0.24.0 will work out of the box, though, as the EA patch servers moved. To use the game patcher with an older client, see [this post] (requires some file editing).

Option 1: Running the game patcher

To start the patcher, simply run UOPatch(.exe) in your UO game folder. If UOPatch(.exe) is not present or if you've just re-installed, then run UO(.exe).

Both executables need to be run with administrator privileges on Windows Vista, 7 and 8. (Right-click -> Run as administrator)

The new patcher will always patch your client fully and cannot be cancelled at a specific patch.

Errors you may encounter:
  • "Could not connect to patch server"
    The old patch servers were moved. See [this post] on how to change the patcher's server. You can also re-install from a recent installer instead.
  • "Product mismatch"
    The patcher should perform a full file check automatically and resolve the issue. If it doesn't, tick the box next to that option.
Option 2: Re-installing the client

The latest installer can be downloaded here:
http://web.cdn.eamythic.com/us/uo/installers/20120309/UOClassicSetup_7_0_24_0.exe

Should this link go down, then you can find the most recent client download on the official UO website (click "Classic Client"):
http://uo.com/Client-Download

This can be installed over your current client. After installation, refer to the patching section for patching it further. You have to run the patcher at least once to get a working client from the new installers.

If, after the re-installation, Razor can no longer locate your UO client, you will start receiving the "Razor was unable to locate and load a suitable UO cliloc file" error. This can be fixed by adding a registry key to point Razor to the new client folder, explained here:
http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/changing-automatic-client-detection.460847/

Compatibility issues and fixes
  • Windows XP
    If you experience frequent client crashes while recalling or going through moongates, downgrading to an older client has shown to fix these issues. The same advice given to Sallos users below can be used.
  • Windows Vista
    Enable the following compatibility options on Razor(.exe): Disable desktop composition
    This will make your counters visible again.
  • Windows 7
    Enable the following compatibility options on Razor(.exe): Disable desktop composition, Disable visual themes
    This will make your counters visible again, and stop the client freezing.
  • Windows 8
    Set Razor(.exe)'s compatibility mode to: Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
    This will stop the client freezing.
  • Sallos
    Sallos will not work with any clients patched to 7.0.8.44 or above. If you wish to play with Sallos, you can use the 7.0.7.1 installer available here:
    http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/87497/ultima-online-stygian-abyss-classic-client-v7-0-7-1 (Unofficial mirror)

You can use that client as-is, or patch it to a maximum of 7.0.8.2. (Any higher and Sallos will crash on login!) Missing artwork can be put in manually using tools like UOFiddler, and you can copy a hues.mul file from any newer client to see new hues.

On Windows Vista, 7 and 8, also enable the following compatibility options on Sallos(.exe): Run this program as an administrator
(To open compatibility options, right-click the executable, click Properties and open the Compatibility tab.)

Questions?
Post below!

Shino

Forum Moderator
Staff member
does it matter that the server is saying we need to patch to 7.0.9.0 or further and sallos is on less?
Well, Sallos currently crashes for clients any higher than 7.0.8.2 (due to the file format changes in the High Seas client versions). It leaves you little choice. Hopefully, in the near future, Sallos will be updated to work with the newest client versions. The 7.0.9.0 notice is just a warning, it will not deny you access to the server.

Bones123

Page
so my patch errored at 7.0.4.5 and now when i open razor it gives me an error: (i have windows vista)

What do i do now
---------------------------
Error
The UO game client has crashed. To report this crash, hit Control-C and paste the contents of your clipboard

into an email addressed to [email protected] with a description of what you were doing when it crashed.

Version: 7.0.4.5

Exception Id: 3221225477

Module: client.exe

Checksum: 878200320

OK

Shino

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Error
The UO game client has crashed. To report this crash, hit Control-C and paste the contents of your clipboard
Those crashes frequently occur in the early 7.x clients. It's best to patch your client further to 7.0.8.2 (if you use Sallos) or all the way. See the "Error applying patch" section in the first post for instructions on how to get around a broken patcher.

420howard420

Wanderer
hey im patched all the way up and every time i start razor it gets up to the waiting for client to load then crashes any ideas? not sure why its crashing or what it says it just drops and doesnt give me time to read why it happend

Shino

Forum Moderator
Staff member
hey im patched all the way up and every time i start razor it gets up to the waiting for client to load then crashes any ideas? not sure why its crashing or what it says it just drops and doesnt give me time to read why it happend
The crash report may show some information as to why Razor is crashing. See "Crash.log" in your Razor folder.

My guess is that the client is somehow unable to start. You could verify this by running "client.exe" in your UO folder (without Razor). If this crashes as well, I would recommend reinstalling your UO client. The links to the most recent installers can be found in the first post.

Newport

Wanderer
Need help got the new patch installed and now it keeps erroring out. It errors out right after pushing play on UO Connect. I can't figure out how to post the error log it doesn't let me copy and paste. Please help me. Thanks

Shino

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Need help got the new patch installed and now it keeps erroring out. It errors out right after pushing play on UO Connect. I can't figure out how to post the error log it doesn't let me copy and paste. Please help me. Thanks
Hm, my clients don't appear to start up using ConnectUO either. I'm not sure if there's a fix for that. You could always launch Razor directly though. (It's probably in C:\Program Files\Razor. If it is, don't forget to right-click it and "Run as administrator".)

If you don't have Razor yet (unlikely), get it here:
http://www.runuo.com/razor/Razor_Latest.exe

dixie

Sorceror
It seems that the link you posted for the UO file is bad. I uninstalled it and tried using the file you posted here but got a ton of errors and problems. I think it's because that version is Shadowlords and is too old. I've had better success with the Mondain's legacy version on the cnet website.

Shino

Forum Moderator
Staff member
It seems that the link you posted for the UO file is bad. I uninstalled it and tried using the file you posted here but got a ton of errors and problems. I think it's because that version is Shadowlords and is too old. I've had better success with the Mondain's legacy version on the cnet website.
Which link is that exactly? Both clients in the first post are fairly new. The 7.0.7.1 installer is from May 2010, and the 7.0.10.3 one is from November 2010.

You may receive a "Cliloc not found" error when starting up Razor, but this is just because Razor doesn't know where the new clients install their registry keys. A fix for this is posted here:
http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/finally-on-windows-7.449882/#post-3573806

I'll add that to the first post. :)

Puma1337

Sorceror
You don't need to do that registry hack to not get that error. Just simply manually locate your UO data folder from razor and it will go away

dixie

Sorceror
I located the files needed to run uo correctly but I still got errors and weird things in-game, like after a spell, there would be some error with a long number after it. I just installed Mondain's legacy from the cnet site and patched that. Honestly I don't give a damn about the new handouts and mounts and wish I hadn't even uninstalled uo to begin with. What a waste of time.

Shino

Forum Moderator
Staff member
You don't need to do that registry hack to not get that error. Just simply manually locate your UO data folder from razor and it will go away
That doesn't seem to fix it for me. Razor uses the directory from the registry keys for the welcome screen. Only after that will the specified alternative directory be taken into consideration. The error message before the welcome screen still pop ups without a registry fix.

Honestly I don't give a damn about the new handouts and mounts and wish I hadn't even uninstalled uo to begin with. What a waste of time.
I'm sorry you experienced it that way. It can be quite aggravating, I agree, but I was hoping this thread would be of help. In any case, if you have a working client now, that's good enough. :)

Puma1337

Sorceror
I used to get that error and someone else I know did as well and as soon as we specified the data directory it went away.

dixie

Sorceror
The cnet version worked fine after being patched. I have the correct patch installed now so I can play with no problem. Thanks Shino for the tips even though they didn't work out so well for me. I'm sure others found then useful!

-666-

Squire
Ok I did this originally because I couldnt see my christmas presents, I use sallos and I stopped at 7.0.8.2 (which still doesnt let me see presents) but now when I open sallos it brings up a UO directory, and i have to go thru my folders and click on uo to get it to work, is there any way to make it work on its own? It's quite irritating!!

Shino

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Ok I did this originally because I couldnt see my christmas presents, I use sallos and I stopped at 7.0.8.2 (which still doesnt let me see presents) but now when I open sallos it brings up a UO directory, and i have to go thru my folders and click on uo to get it to work, is there any way to make it work on its own? It's quite irritating!!
You can add registry keys to help Sallos find the directory on its own (this also works for Razor). See the following post:
http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/finally-on-windows-7.449882/#post-3573806