UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Pets attacking master!!

Kiluad

Sorceror
This bug is costing me gold, has cost me about 100k now in the past week, i'm getting sick of it.

So, can someone tell me what exactly is going on? is it when the mob my pet's trying to attack is out of it's line of sight? that it decides to attack me? or what? it's getting old fast, nothing like having your pet bite you in half out of the blue for no reason...

why do pets guarding their owners turn grey/start attacking them? without the owner doing a negative act.

Kallitcha

Squire
This bug is costing me gold, has cost me about 100k now in the past week, i'm getting sick of it.

So, can someone tell me what exactly is going on? is it when the mob my pet's trying to attack is out of it's line of sight? that it decides to attack me? or what? it's getting old fast, nothing like having your pet bite you in half out of the blue for no reason...

why do pets guarding their owners turn grey/start attacking them? without the owner doing a negative act.
I know that if your using razor and having the smart target option set up will sometimes cause your pet to target you if you say cast heal to heal yourself. Sometimes it will do it regardless.

I have bypassed this by creating a macro that sets target closest grey, wait .5 sec, honor last target, wait .5, attack last target. This does a couple of things: builds your honor great for taming gd's. If the wrong combo of setting target happens then you target yourself with an honor which gives you the option to hit cancel.

As far as the guarding and pet randomly attacking you, it's a bug in the code that no one seems to admit. Seems that sometimes in guard mode a dragon, mare, ect will treat you the same as if they were untamed, targeted by movement towards them. Doesn't always happen but I think that's what's happening. If your quick enough you can give an "all follow me" command and they will stop attacking you. Its instinctively the wrong thing to do, but Telling them to stay stop ect does nothing.

Edit, Note: I never had this problem on osi, even using razor. So there is something with the code that allows this to happen. On osi if you told pet to stop, stay they would stop attacking you (if u got them attacking you). On osi of your pet was attacking you and you told them to follow you it was a speedy death. Here it's just the opposite. I think on osi of you were to give a all kill comand followed by heal self, the heal self would drop the previous pet command from que. Here it doesn't seem to drop pet comands from que when you interrupt that cue with say a heal followed by target self.

Hope that helps...

Kiluad

Sorceror
I don't use razor, it's too buggy. UOSteam is a lot more stable and accurate.

Thanks for the reply, It's a definite bug in the system, i'm just trying to see what part of the system it's in, i do think it's line of sight, but i'm not 100% sure it is, it happens more when im in dungeons or on steep hills, as opposed to being out in the open, which is my main reasoning point on it being line of sight.

Yeah pets are messed up majorly, creatures in general are messed up, wrong stats, missing behaviors, wrong spawns, etc etc etc. The main game has been ignored for years, the pets attacking their master bug is relatively new, someone edited something and they started doing it, but as usual, it didn't affect pvp, so it was never fixed. I think it started about 1-2 years ago.

Kallitcha

Squire
I do know that since I scripted the select nearest target, honor last target, attack last target macro. I haven't had my pet attack me, and find my self getting the are you sure you want to honor yourself menu about as much as I use to get clobbered by my pet. Oh it also makes it so you don't have to target your enemy's manually, another bonus.

The whole guarding thing, it might be line of sight, but if you tell your pet to guard you. If he starts attacking a hostile and you run around quickly away and towards him, he will target you almost duplicatable 50% of the time.

Bama

Bug Huntress
While in a guild I have accidentally cast a fire ball/e-bolt/mind blast/whatever at my pet many times
I mine up ore elementals and sometimes I hit my fire beetle and not the elemental with spells
My pet goes criminal/grey but I don't and without giving it a command to stop or stay it does not attack me if it is engaged in combat.Even if whatever it was fighting is no longer around it will not attack me

Further more if you happened to be in the area you would not see me or my pet as criminal you would see us either blue/red/green but not grey

It is a good trade off though when you consider that you can have pets (like a unicorn/cu/greater dragon etc.) guard you and attack anyone or anything that attacks you without having any animal taming/lore to control them

That part about what color you can or can not see applies to more than just pets that decide to attack their owners

The previous Admin was made aware of this and many other issues regarding criminal/non criminal status but that Admin either decided to ignore it or could not fix it.
But HEY you have Brightsight Lenses

Kallitcha

Squire
While in a guild I have accidentally cast a fire ball/e-bolt/mind blast/whatever at my pet many times
I mine up ore elementals and sometimes I hit my fire beetle and not the elemental with spells
My pet goes criminal/grey but I don't and without giving it a command to stop or stay it does not attack me if it is engaged in combat.Even if whatever it was fighting is no longer around it will not attack me

Further more if you happened to be in the area you would not see me or my pet as criminal you would see us either blue/red/green but not grey

It is a good trade off though when you consider that you can have pets guard you and attack anyone or anything that attacks you without having any animal taming/lore to control them

That part about what color you can or can not see applies to more than just pets that decide to attack their owners

The previous Admin was made aware of this and many other issues regarding criminal/non criminal status but that Admin either decided to ignore it or could not fix it.
But HEY you have Brightsight Lenses
We are talking about a completely different thing. We are not mishandling our pets. This is you cast heal and target yourself and your pet turns on you (likely bad timing for you because your health was low enough to consider healing yourself) this is you tell your pet to guard you, it is busy attacking something and you fall out of line of sight come back and it turns on you. Not that big of deal if your pet is a beetle, maybe more of a big deal if your pet is a greater dragon and he hits you with his claws, bleed attack and a fs followed with dragon breath.

The point is. The system does not behave like osi and everytime anyone brings it up, people insist on saying its mishandling your pet or Calling it a trade off. It is rediculous, because taming is no longer the over powered template it was and hasn't been since pre pub 16. The only reason tamers are able to solo anything big is the addition of other skills, ie music skills, necro, archery ect. To be honest I can kill stuff faster with my warrior, but I've played a tamer since the very beginning of ultima online 1997 and it's my roots... It's not like the days prior to control slots and having 10 dragons to hunt with. Taming is nurfed enough and does not need a bug where your pet turns on you.

Kiluad

Sorceror
This bug is easily recreated. It's definitely a line of sight bug too, in debug mode, pets will say 'i can't see my target" before they switch focus over to their masters.

If you put yourself in an area your guarding pet can't get to, have something attack you in that area, your pet will freak out, try to kill it, realize it can't get to whatever's attacking you, and decide to attack you.

the logic is so bad right now. must protect master, something is attacking master, must kill! can't see it, kill master. That's the exact flow you get. there's several ways to fix it, none of which seem complicated, a simple check to see if it's master, before it goes and sets it focus on killing master works.....

IMO it's more or less caused by cluttered code, the same variable being used too much for different code. I suspect without having followed the code, that when the pet can't see the enemy, it returns to follow its master, but since the master is still under attack, it goes back to attack mode, though its target was overwritten when it returned to master(ironically with it's own master) and decides to kill it's master instead of protecting it. which is based on what i did see, a lot of m_mobile.controltarget's being used in the AI scripts. some for following some for attacking.

Kiluad

Sorceror
All guard me avoids having your pet attack you when it cannot see the target enemy
using the context menu to select Guard, will cause your pet to attack you if it cannot see the target enemy it's trying to defend you from.
all guard - i am unsure, though i assume it's the same as the context menu option.

Two Wolves

Knight
This bug is easily recreated. It's definitely a line of sight bug too, in debug mode, pets will say 'i can't see my target" before they switch focus over to their masters.

If you put yourself in an area your guarding pet can't get to, have something attack you in that area, your pet will freak out, try to kill it, realize it can't get to whatever's attacking you, and decide to attack you.

I have been swatted by some bug like this many times in the past.

Reports:
http://www.uogamers.com/community/index.php?threads/347087/
http://www.uogamers.com/community/index.php?threads/444445/

Here is a screen shot of Pachua flagging gray and at top loyalty level, just after another player kills his target.

Pachua_gray.png

Pachua is no longer with us. He vanished while trying to auto-stable in Gauntlet. fui quod es, eris quod sum

april0395

Sorceror
I've never had this issue, but I use the command 'all guard me.' The only time my pet attacks me is if I use 'all kill' and I'm going crazy on my target self and last target wheel scroll.

Kiluad

Sorceror
Here's the issue, and why people struggle to recreate it. Saying all guard me alters a pets behavior, after hearing that command, it is less likely to attack you for a LoS issue, even if you later switch to guard through the context menu.

I set things up at my house so i can do it with 2 small tamable s that attack me on release.

First, if you have been logged in with your pet and have said "all guard me" stable the pets and unstable them.
all you really need is one scorpion/giant rat/snake/whatever is going to attack you and not hurt you much.
put your trusty steed, GD, whatever you want in a locked room within your house, so it can't see you. or get to you. then using the context menu, click guard. now release the small creature that will attack you.

You now have a pet that wants to kill you, or will not chase after things attacking you, but is still in guarding mode. ( or two if you count the wild one too.). the one that's still tame and guaridng you will turn grey to you, whether you're in a guild or not.

It's easy to recreate. follow those steps and you will see the bug.
there is nothing happening but mouse clicks on the context menu and one click for the accept release.

Facko

Sorceror
I can tell you from my own personal experience that 'all guard' is fine. I only use the commands, 'all kill', 'all come', and 'all guard'. I've heard other people over the years have this issue but they all use commands like 'all follow me' or 'all guard me'. Maybe its a glitch in the pet ai or something where adding 'me' to the end of a command makes the pet target you in a hostile way.

Never once in over 9 years here has one of my pets attacked me unless I mishandled it in some way. Even when that happens using 'all guard' or 'all come' makes my pet stop attacking. Not saying that the glitch isnt there, but I really think the problem lies in adding 'me' to the end of a command.

Eos

Demise Administrator
Staff member
Moved to bug reports. The provided test does indeed turn a pet gray and can cause it to attack.