UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Poker : Texas Hold'em : Basic Informations

MadeInQuebec

Forum Member of the Year 2008
Poker : Texas Hold'em : Basic Informations

I have talked to someone saying that they had no idea how to play poker. Since I have not seen anything in the guides, I have decided to write all the basic information here in the hopes that it'll be usefull to some.

Object of the game:
Players will win money by winning a pot that contains all the bets the players have made during this hand. Matching a bet is known as calling.

Rules:
The two players that are at the left of the dealer will have to place the blinds. The Small Blind is at the left of the dealer and the Big Blind at the left of the Small Blind. The Small Blind is usually half of the Big Blind, and the Big Blind is normally the size of the minimum bet according to the table rules.

Once the blinds are on, all the players receive 2 cards, called hole cards. These will be the only private cards that players will have during a hand. From there on, there will be a round of betting that will start at the left of the Big Blind and go all the way around to the Small blind. During that time you have options to Call, Fold, or Raise. Calling means matching the highest bet on the table at the moment, Folding means to throw away your cards and any money invested in the pot up to there, and raising means to increase the value of the current bet.

Once the first betting round is through, 3 community cards, called the Flop, will be revealed and followed by another round of betting. At this point players will have the option of checking which means to just hold onto your cards without doing a bet. Players are not forced to put in money as long as another one has not already done so. A players is able to make the best possible poker hand of 5 cards using any community cards and any of his own hole cards. Then a fourth card, called the Turn will show up, then another round of betting, and a fifth one and final one, called the River, deadly to some, savior for the others, and followed by a final round of betting. If at least 2 people are remaining at the end of that betting round, there will be a showdown that will declare which player has the most valuable hand, thus earning the pot.

Ranking of Hands:

#1: Royal Flush: ( Ace, King, Queen, Jack, Ten ) - All suited
Five sequenced cards of the same suit with the highest one being the Ace

#2: Straight Flush: ( Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Jack ) All suited.
Five sequenced cards of the same suit regardless of highest one. In the very unlikely event that there is 2 straight flush at the same time on a table, the rank of the highest card determine the winner.

#3: Four-of-A-Kind: ( King, King, King, King, Deuce )
A.k.a Quads, is a five card hand that contains 4 cards of the same value. The higher the card, the stronger the Quads.

#4: Full House: ( Nine, Nine, Nine, Queen, Queen )
Three cards of the same value, with two cards of another one makes a full house. In that case it would be called Nine full of queens. The rank of the Full house is determined by the rank ot the Three cards.

#5: Flush: (Deuce, Queen, Ten, Four, Seven) All suited
Any five cards that are from the same suit (i.e. hearts) makes a flush. If there is more than one flush at the table, the player that contains the highest card in his flush win the pot.

#6: Straight: (Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight) Non-Suited
Five sequenced cards that are not suited. The higher the rank of the last card in the straight, the stronger it is.

#7: Three-Of-A-Kind. (Ten, Ten, Ten, Eight, Ace)
Three cards of the same value completed with 2 any other card. It's a.k.a Set or Trips. And again, the higher the value, the stronger the hand.

#8: Two Pairs: (Six, Six, Eight, Eight, Jack)
Two cards of the same rank, and two of another will make Two Pairs. The value of the highest pair determine the strenght of your Two Pairs.

#9: One Pair: (Ace, Ace, Jack, Nine, Four)
Two cards of the same value with three unrelated ones give you a pair. If two players has an identical pair, the winner is determined via Kicker, which is your highest unrelated card. In this case it would be a Pair of Aces with Jack kicker.

#10: No Pair: (King, Queen, Seven, Six, Deuce) Non-suited
Five unrelated cards that did not develop in anything. In this situation, it would be High Card King.

I will work on some other documents involving more strategical aspects of the game and will post them again then.

Hope that som people may found this information usefull.

Re: Poker : Texas Hold'em : Basic Informations

deadly to some, savior for the others. unless the player is completely bluffing and goes on to lose all of their gold. then goes on saying, that losing is nothing for them. thats not a really the point of the game, atleast in my mind. my advice for that, is dont bluff.

MadeInQuebec

Kefka|Red-Hybrid;1669134 said:
deadly to some, savior for the others. unless the player is completely bluffing and goes on to lose all of their gold. then goes on saying, that losing is nothing for them. thats not a really the point of the game, atleast in my mind. my advice for that, is dont bluff.

Bluffing goes into the strategical aspects. I think it's acceptable and part of the game.

MadeInQuebec

ploki;1669140 said:
pics?
.. i'm a visual learner

I will have to increase my forum abilities to do that, I am not too sure how exactly to put pics here, nor do I have them ready, but I will try to find that out and edit them in as soon as I have a chance.

I forget but i believe its illegal to use multiple accounts while playing texas hold'em..?

MadeInQuebec

Kefka|Red-Hybrid;1669146 said:
I forget but i believe its illegal to use multiple accounts while playing texas hold'em..?

Correct.

ploki

Knight

MadeInQuebec;1669144 said:
I will have to increase my forum abilities to do that, I am not too sure how exactly to put pics here, nor do I have them ready, but I will try to find that out and edit them in as soon as I have a chance.

make an accout with photobucket.com .. by far, best image hosting site imo

when you upload a picture, it will give you image code to copy paste :)

keungtc

Wanderer

Nice Guide!

the place i live dont play Texas hold'em,
also took a period of time to familiar this game.

Tomox2

Wanderer

This thread was SO made for me.

EDIT:

And thats not cool, you lowered myself esteem by like 50 points.

peteliv

Knight

dont raise preflop
be wary of pocket twos threes and fours they often beat by flop pair
theres more but youd learn it just by playing low table for a little

cokane

Sorceror

Ehm...

don't raise preflop? Are you serious? If anything, in alot of cases, you want to have a heads up situation rather than a multiway pot, hence you *must* raise preflop.

Of course position is key. I mean if you're under the gun or utg+1 you don't have to raise unless you have JJ+, AK suited, AQ suited, but please, if you're button or cutoff and have a decent hand, you really *should* raise preflop.

cokane;2003237 said:
Ehm...

don't raise preflop? Are you serious? If anything, in alot of cases, you want to have a heads up situation rather than a multiway pot, hence you *must* raise preflop.

Of course position is key. I mean if you're under the gun or utg+1 you don't have to raise unless you have JJ+, AK suited, AQ suited, but please, if you're button or cutoff and have a decent hand, you really *should* raise preflop.

lol, a lot of people here who know nothing about poker.
Can we keep it that way please ? :) I like having the upper hand and I wanna keep it that way :p

Luti-Kriss

Sorceror

Violently Calm;2030611 said:
lol, a lot of people here who know nothing about poker.
Can we keep it that way please ? :) I like having the upper hand and I wanna keep it that way :p

What are you worried about? That was probably the most obvious of advice to give on poker, but also the worst advice at the same time.

From reading those simple words, I can see a noob trying to follow the tips and completely failing at it because of other advice that would have to go along with such advice. Right?