UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Roleplaying Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aveit

Wanderer
Roleplaying Guide

Roleplay Guide by Aveit
I suggest every new Ultima Online player to first get the feel of the game overall. Fight a few battles, kill a few monsters, die a few times. You’re best off starting roleplaying once you fully know the game (tech wise). You won’t make much impression with the well known “How do I ... / Where can I get ..” questions.

First Step: Character Creation.
Choose a character, be it a male or female and the desired profession.
Choosing a name can make quite a difference for your first appearance. Naming yourself “I am teh Blacksmith” doesn’t give that much of an intellectual impression towards others. Rather go with a more mature / professional name consisting at least 2 words such as “Jack Brown” for example.
When creating the character you will be required to fill in your desired skills. Try and work out a template, matching your role, befor setting your character up. When picking professions, keep in mind each person/character should only be able to pick one type of craft / combat skill. It would be rather silly seeing a Smith running around sewing robes while making wooden boxes. Or an Orc swinging with a katana yelling Corp Por! Where I’m going at with this is to live up to a certain character. A smith needs his ores for smithing, thus being a miner. Seeing as he knows how to work with metals, he could be able to do some tinkering. A wizard, being weak yet strong of mind, would not walk around in platemail and some axe.

Step Two: Appearance.
Your appearance is one of the basics in roleplaying. Wear simple outfits and regular colors. Walking around with bright purple hair and neon robes just won’t do the trick. I suggest keeping one main outfit for your character.
Personally I wear a blue shaded skullcap, same color fancy shirt, shadow colored leather pants and thigh boots.

When roleplaying, the main point to keep in mind is that you are your character. You don’t know everyone and you can’t see name tags. When meeting new people, ask for their names, remember how they look like and what they do. This way you can let your characters become either friends or foes.
Be careful with what you ride. I’d be roleplaying a Pirate, but you won’t ever see me on a beetle or a dragon. Why you ask? Simple, they don’t match both my role and the ways of a pirate. Same goes for ethereal mounts. How do you explain you’re floating on air, besides blaming it on magic. Try not to use any ethereals for that matter.

Step Tree: Language and Speaking manners.
Try to avoid internet slang, smilies and shorthands at all times. E.g. Etc, lol or brb.
Try using emotions instead. Emotions show a great deal of how you play your character. Simple typing “Haha” when laughing can be both interpreted as normal talking or small roleplay ability.
*Looks around the armed man and grins* “Harhar!” “Ye be mockin’ me?”
Try to talk with Capitals. Capitals show professionalism and builds up to a mature roleplaying environment. It’s all in the details.
For the more advanced roleplayers there might be an extra thrill to talk with a speech impediment:
A lisp: Can’t say R’s quitte right. (Just like Elmer Fudd! “Shh be vewwy quiet, I’m hunting wabbits!”)
Stuttering: Can’t say H’s quitte right. (“Come ‘ere you!”)
Or there could be even made an entire new language for Orc / Savages. There are many translations for those to be found on the internet, I’ve never done any of those so no further info for that.

When you’re not in the mood to roleplay but are among roleplayers or players that know you for your roleplay reputation. Simple talk in brackets for OOC – Out of Character. Each has their own ways for that, I simple chat in between brackets: [Yep not quite in the mood for Roleplaying atm]

Step Four: Ready to Roleplay!
Follow these steps and you’ll be ready to roleplay along! But be carefull, this server is well known for the large amount of grievers and player killers. When you meet one, always stay in role. Try to stay polite or just simply walk away, never trash talk back. They will either get bored or start screaming you talk in some homosexual language. Don’t get offended.
Simply press Control-O to open up your option menu. On the right side you’ll find a raster icon. Click the Icon and you’ll be directed to the Ignore page. Problem fixed.

Icon and Ignore Option

Try to live up to your character and interact as much as possible. Thank you for your time and hopefully this will be worth your while. Enjoy roleplaying and feel free to ask any problems you may encounter.
I am in no way a perfect roleplayer but I’ve seen some terribles out there in need of this guide.
Any suggestions are always welcome.

Aveit.

selo

Wanderer
Re: Roleplaying Guide

Very nice thread. Something alot, of roleplayers on this shard should read. :)

Re: Roleplaying Guide

inside the town of cove in the guard tower up in the mountains are sparkles taht take you to the rp lands.

Also the guard outpost directly east of the orc fort have sparkles on the roof.

Inside one of the rooms in the yew bank has sparkles.

The basement of the painters building in brit located on a hill, building right north east of the west brit bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.