UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Tamer Balance

How should taming be balanced?

• Remove bonding

Votes: 237 17.0%
  • Reduce pet speed

Votes: 138 9.9%
  • Reduce pet damage

Votes: 182 13.0%
  • Heavier bonded pet skill loss

Votes: 145 10.4%
  • Remove recall with bonded pets

Votes: 193 13.8%
  • Its fine how it is

Votes: 822 58.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark

Tamer Balance

Many players have expressed to me that there is an inbalance in taming.. specifically with pet strength. What do you players as a whole think would be an ideal solution?

M

Mark

endfro said:
I would personally like to see Taming become a harder to gain skill. =]

That has already been happening very slowly, and will be independant of any action taken here.

Hunts1287

Wanderer
Its fine the way it is ;\ it just makes it easy for reds to kill a tamer and if your fighting someone then hey cope with it sheesh.

M

Mark

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so damn easy. This is just one step of many that need to be taken to achieve perfection. Spawns must be gradually slowed as well. Now and days, most groups have 3-4 tamers, and almost everyone has a tamer alt. (including myself), and we need to look past ourselves and find the best solution to make this shard the very best.

Hi Mark :)

I think the easiest thing to do would be:

Anybody with the Taming skill is unable to join a faction.

No idea how easy that would be to implement tho.

Oh and the Remove Boning is just what the Griefers would like, anything to make life hard for people, after all what has Bonding got to do with how you fight a battle?

M

Mark

Rogueci5 said:
Hi Mark :)

I think the easiest thing to do would be:

Anybody with the Taming skill is unable to join a faction.

No idea how easy that would be to implement tho.

Its not just factions: IDOCs, graveyards, dungeons... its all the same to me. I just want being a tamer to require skill and dedication. No one likes fighting groups of 4 or 5 tamers.. especially when there is no risk of losing pets or reward for killing them.

M

Mark

Also, please don't take this poll as a sign that tamers are about to get fucked over, thats simply not the case. When dealing with changes that could possibly piss a lot of people off, I like to get everyones input and consider all available options, hence this poll.

Hunts1287

Wanderer
I agree with you mark. I cant make a fight against that, sadly but I would still like it as is, but if the people want it go with it.

zero-hybrid

Unreasonable
Pets have been an issue for a long time now. It's clearly known that pets are a way hunt (farm as many call it) for gold and engage in player vs. player combat. I have had many discussions with Mark about how to most effectively make taming more "fair". While yes, people say that "taming is a skill to, and you should get those benefits" other skills don't give you very much, such as begging.

As of right now, pet bonding has virtually eliminated team hunting on single monsters except the few hardest spawns on the server. It has allowed (especially with recalling) single players to turn into gank squads. It's no secret that nightmares/dragons/ww's have a rediculous amount of health and mana. So what you get is something that won't be directly attacked because of bonded pet resurrection, but also because it's hard to kill, even with a small gank squad constantly ebolting.

The other main issue is "well I trained my pet". Lets be honest, stat loss is really not that bad for pets currently. Half the time when the tamer actually dies, people don't even kill their pets. This causes a real problem known as pet luring. Pet luring happens because people hate pets, and realize that pets are currently unfair in pvp. If they were fair, nobody would waste their time leading someone's pet 20 minutes away.

Personally I'm for removing bonding, and not the weakening of pets. It's understandable that there is still risk for tamers while hunting due to pk groups etc. However, if people are going to use pets, and train them, then they should be more careful with them. And what, you lose your pet, it will take a little time to tame a new one. God forbid that anyone spend a little extra time to keep their advantage over monsters and other players.

I think that it's an excellent alternative to weakening pets and making them more useless, while discouraging people to use pets in pvp a bit more unless they want to spend more time taming.

I think that removing bonding would really hurt the non-PvP taming population. The damage and speed are the reason people want the pets in the first place, and those are respectfully balanced. A dragon should be hard, and a nightmare isn't called a Nightmare because 2 great harts can own it. The stat loss is just another method of time consumption, something this shard seems to avoid with fast skill gains, etc., and wouldn't really change anything except make tamers bitch more. That being said, I feel that removing the ability to recall with bonded pets would be the best solution. First, it's the speed factor and the element of surprise of recall that give it an undue advantage. "Wow, it's nice and peaceful...*poof*, white wyrm on your ass and a nightmare to follow. It also works in the reverse, a fearful and outnumbered tamer sees a group of enemies approaching, *poof* huge dragon and tamer gone. Gate would cause the tamer to use strategy in timing, and rune locations. Like back in the day when the troops would flood in on horseback, the battle would rage, and the tamers would come in a few seconds later from a different location and then the war would really begin.

Being forced to use gates is not that much of a disadvantage, but I think it would be just enough. The blue population would not be too upset with the loss of recalling with bonded pets, it's just an ash instead of a moss and a bit more mana. The extra mana used in gate would also make the tamer less of an instant threat in PvP, when gating he couldn't do a full dump after casting a 7th Circle spell.

Since the problems with tamers seem to be centered around their use in PvP, I think this addition would add neccessary disadvantages to the PvP system while not inhibiting the non PvP action too severely.

van el fanel

Wanderer
dont touch tamers

Leave bonding alone... but maybe make stat loss for pets bigger. they die once they lose 9 points instead of .1,
and then make it hard to gain those points.
Maybe take weeks to GM a pet.

look in pvp tamers use mostly mares for their speed since they run at around almost the speed of a player running on foot and they use bolas.

so i think if u want to do something about tamers without removing bonding

i think you could make mares slower and give some kind of timer to bolas so people cant just hop off their mount and insta bola people.

trag

Sorceror
" A dragon should be hard, and a nightmare isn't called a Nightmare because 2 great harts can own it. "

okay man, really, how hard is it to tame a mare and a dragon? :rolleyes:

kl0wn-hybrid

Wanderer
Make it so pets refuse to attack other players, like NPC hireables. You can still farm to your hearts content, and it removes the tamer gank squad from pvp.

VileStyle

Wanderer
I had long discussions on this, and came to some conclusions

Basically, the major gripe is in pvp. and bolas. instead of nuking bolas and tamers, how about changing the casting speeds? i know this was already being talked about. one problem with bolas is its really hard to run away with a mage tamer dumping on you. longer spells would give the bola'd person a chance.

Also, maybe a disruption for precast bolas. think about real life, if your swinging a bola and get hit in the face with a hammer or a ball of fire, could you throw it again? hmmm no. maybe something to that affect.

some other things too, but im bored of typing. discuss! :>

Wrath Child

Sorceror
i say leave it as is.. mages have their advantages.. dexxers have their advantages.. but what about tamers? tamers being relatively weak they rely on their pets to be their force of attack or counter attack... granted alot of tamers have magery on their character but still that only goes so far especially when said tamer ventures out alone, it would be the same principal to say that the pets act as the tamers gank squad.. say remove bonding it would be the same as telling pvp groups not to go out in large groups to rape blue's.. you can tell them not to but that wont stop them.. personally it would be my opinion that if the one complaining about tamers using pets in pvp should have a nice cold glass of STFU... they want to talk of unfair advantages what is the whole para gank squads or the ebolt from hell squads? thats unfair as well when your out by yourself.. yes i'm apart of a guild but i'm usually alone wandering around.. and yes i'm a tamer with magery skill but my offense cannot be based solely around my magery since the delay timer with spell casting so the pets act as a back up means.. if they are primary physical damaging pets like a Giant Beetle or a Swamp Dragon then they act as the distraction needed to pop off higher powered spells... so my vote goes to Leave it as is.. and if for one minute anyone here thinks to call me a trammie for my thoughts you can eat me..

Roman-hybrid

Wanderer
Most times im bolad and die to a tamer its not from spells casted by the tamer, so changing spell timers wouldnt really fix anything.
I think there are a few different possible solutions to this problem. I think dramatically reducing the amount of damage pets do to players would seriously help to quell the pvp tamers. Also I thought that removing the bonding ability from tamers once they join a faction might also work. It would allow pvm tamers to continue their hunting and pet skill building in peace and help to balance the pvp scene. And my final idea was to do a shard wide wipe of animal taming and animal lore skills and make it gain as it did on Osi.
I think these would definitely help the pvp scene become more balanced.

Tamers and PvP

Destroying the gold economy produced by the tamers would devastate the entire uo community im some indirect way, by changing recallign with bonded pets would not do anything to that, just cost an additional ash. The bola two mare system of faction pvp should be fixed, if u want to pvp with tamers thats ur issue but making the pvp system unstable is not a must, how about pets in factions can only die once and then after it reses it has to be rebonded this way people would think twice about pvping with bonded animals and this would apply only to faction pvp, also change the bonding skill loss and make all skills harder to obtain not just taming.

Status
Not open for further replies.