UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Resurrecting the Shadowclan Orcs

1John5vs7

Wanderer
Resurrecting the Shadowclan Orcs

Dear nubhosh dumheds,

Allow me to remind you of one of the most entertaining and excellent periods in Ultima Online's roleplaying history. I am speaking, of course, of none other than the long-dead Shadowclan Orcs. I have fond memories of dozens of players RPing as orcs in the Yew orc fort. Do you remember when our guild got so popular that the Seers actually let us put in lockable boxes and a guild stone?

Or what about porting people into the holding pen inside the fort and leaving them stranded there? Good times. Then of course there were the spontaneous waves of noto-PKs with 5 ice wyrms each. And that guy, Iroxwitdaorks, who would run naked into the fort and prance around until someone poked him to death with a sharp stick. And who can forget the clump of trees near the fort that was impossible to run through? We would set up shop a few screens away from it and demand tribute from passersby. Of course most people told us to shove off, at which point we chased them into that roadblock of trees and surrounded them on all sides with orcs before proceeding to club them to death. Good times.

My personal favorite, though, was the detail and depth of the RP. We had our own language, our own caste system, our own way of doing things. We had coming-of-age quests and rituals. We even conquered the world once by taking a huge boat-load of something like 40 orcs (I'm laughing at the very thought of this) to the Titan island and PKing for epic laughs. If any of you are out there and remember this trip, you'll remember many poor, sorry orcs getting hopelessly stranded at sea when the incredibly laggy boat system (did they ever fix that? Good grief!) would spontaneously just dump them off on a water tile. Since most orcs were forbidden to use magic (only the Majokas could use it!), there was no hope for them but to use the "I'm stuck" feature...which I am not certain even existed back then. Hah!

These are all reasons that this guild needs to be resurrected. I was very young back at that time, and so I forget most of the dialect. I suppose we could recreate it, but I think it would be so much better if a veteran of the Shadowclan Orcs who remembers things as they were were to help me re-create this guild. You're welcome to have full guild leadership; I want to do this solely for the purpose of entertainment and a good RP experience for all. I am serious about doing this and would commit my spare time to accomplishing a solid recreation of this guild. With the huge number of PvPers on this server, it's bound to be a barrel of fun until the server is shut down (which will hopefully be many years hence!).

Send me a PM or you can get me on AIM: MentorOfMinos or Yahoo: TheSinsOfOld

God bless you all for all the wonderful memories and the fun,

David Stratton

Torgin.

Sorceror
Re: Resurrecting the Shadowclan Orcs

First, I will say that, while I am a die hard Shadowclan orc, there is already a well established orc guild on this shard.

Second, I will say that your post sounds a lot like nostalgia and the idea will probably die in a max amount of two weeks when you grow bored and lose interest.

Third, Shadowclan is still around, just not on any real UO shard at the moment. You don't need to "recreate" the dialect because all of the content is still located on the website.

Fourth, you do not have permission from the Clan Helm to open an official branch of Shadowclan on the Hybrid shard. It would take a lot of sincere effort on your part to convince the Helm to allow you to open a branch on Hybrid, seeing as how the lack of interest to play UO has spread to pretty much everyone apart of the guild.

I'd do it anyways, who cares what the shadowclan helm thinks, we all know they are a bunch of pansie bitches that are a mere shadow of what they once were. You don't really need their permission anyways, since when do orcs need permission to rise against their superiors and try to take over? It's what orcs do. It's all in the rp, go for it bro.

Shadowclan helm, these nuts. What you really need to worry about is trying to uproot the almighty Bloodclan orcs.

Yog hupez tu peek lat en meeb furt. Meeb wil ryp lats hed uve agh skah duwn lats nek, pushdug!

Yeah I say go for it. Even if it is just to give a message to the kid who posted saying you dont have "permission".

To the kid: Go back to school or get on hybrid and be schooled. .. Grow up there is no such thing as an original idea only played out ideas. If someone wants to make a guild with the same name same structure and language they can. Unless you have certain patents that say otherwise. Just because some kid has a website and he puts copyright at the bottom does not give him rights to it. Hehe stupid kids these days i swear.

Torgin.

Sorceror

plague_spores;1944847 said:
Yeah I say go for it. Even if it is just to give a message to the kid who posted saying you dont have "permission".

To the kid: Go back to school or get on hybrid and be schooled. .. Grow up there is no such thing as an original idea only played out ideas. If someone wants to make a guild with the same name same structure and language they can. Unless you have certain patents that say otherwise. Just because some kid has a website and he puts copyright at the bottom does not give him rights to it. Hehe stupid kids these days i swear.

lol? Wow this sounds so familiar.. oh wait! Remember LordCool and his "new" Yew Militia? It all goes back to a respect issue. If you are going to use someone's well established name, I think you should make sure they are alright with it. Just because your daddy never taught you anything about respect or how to not give a shit about anyone else but yourself, doesn't mean you can't have any character in how you deal with others.

So as not to get confused, I don't really care if he makes his own orc guild with everything the same as a Shadowclan. I've always wanted to see a Shadowclan branch on Hybrid and if he would establish himself with the guild and apply for an official branch, not only could he get the backing of the name, but he would get the support of all the members who are still very strongly apart of the community even if they are just a "shadow" of themselves.

Torgin.;1944891 said:
lol? Wow this sounds so familiar.. oh wait! Remember LordCool and his "new" Yew Militia? It all goes back to a respect issue. If you are going to use someone's well established name, I think you should make sure they are alright with it. Just because your daddy never taught you anything about respect or how to not give a shit about anyone else but yourself, doesn't mean you can't have any character in how you deal with others.

So as not to get confused, I don't really care if he makes his own orc guild with everything the same as a Shadowclan. I've always wanted to see a Shadowclan branch on Hybrid and if he would establish himself with the guild and apply for an official branch, not only could he get the backing of the name, but he would get the support of all the members who are still very strongly apart of the community even if they are just a "shadow" of themselves.

You bring up one example of someone doing this on Hybrid which resulted in a bad guild. It happens, there were a ton of a shitty rp guilds on this server. What about the guilds that were here unnofficialy and were succesful? I can name a few, the original guardsmen that came here, and the Yew Militia led by ele. Many times when unofficial guilds turn succesful they turn into official guilds. I would cream my pants to see a bloodclan/shadowclan rivalry going on right here on uogamers. Ever hear the saying, imitation is the highest form of flattery?

Torgin.

Sorceror

Vas Griffith;1944928 said:
You bring up one example of someone doing this on Hybrid which resulted in a bad guild.

Sorry this was the most recent that I could think of.

I would cream my pants to see a bloodclan/shadowclan rivalry going on right here on uogamers.

Me too. When Bloodclan made a try on Angel Island, back when the shard was still up and Shadowclan was still a strong force on there, we had a lot of good fights and some mean and nasty RP.

Ever hear the saying, imitation is the highest form of flattery?

I'm not saying its a bad thing, but when Bloodclan broke off from Shadowclan they didn't name themselves "Shadowclan2". They came up with their own name. My entire issue isn't about a new orc guild, its about giving respect to a group that has been around for a long time. It is the same for all the guilds that have had great success over the years. I know I would be angry if I started something successful and then down the road somebody was using the same name, claiming it as their own, and not even given the parent name a nod or recognizing what they have done under that name.

Torgin.;1944891 said:
If you are going to use someone's well established name, I think you should make sure they are alright with it.

Luckily it doesnt matter what you "think".

Okay i agree with your comment. If using someones well established name then you should make sure they are okay with it.

Shadowclan is not a well established guild on hybrid.

Case closed.

Torgin.

Sorceror

plague_spores;1945269 said:
Okay i agree with your comment. If using someones well established name then you should make sure they are okay with it.

Shadowclan is not a well established guild on hybrid.

Case closed.

Heh there's just no arguing with you, Herc. You are just too closed minded about anything that you don't think is right.

1John5vs7

Wanderer

Land's sakes. I had no idea when I posted that I would provoke such sentiments!

1.) Alright, if there is already an orc clan on the server, this will make things very interesting. I may try to track down the leader and see what's what and if he would rather just keep it one guild or make it interesting with another guild on the server.

2.) I was not necessarily suggesting we keep the name "Shadowclan." I agree with the comments about respect. Shadowclan was an awesome guild way back when; I have no idea what they're up to today, and I don't care because they aren't doing it on UO, which means they're doing it on some more new-fangled (and therefore vastly inferior) gaming platform. However, this is not grounds for tarnishing the name.

3.) Since there appears to be some interest, perhaps I will send a PM to the gentlemen who run this server and let them know of our interest in starting up a new orc guild.

Could anyone tell me the whereabouts of Bloodclan? I'll go search the forum and see if I can't scrounge up some info for m'self.

Thanks a bundle,
DS

1John5vs7;1945553 said:
Land's sakes. I had no idea when I posted that I would provoke such sentiments!

1.) Alright, if there is already an orc clan on the server, this will make things very interesting. I may try to track down the leader and see what's what and if he would rather just keep it one guild or make it interesting with another guild on the server.

2.) I was not necessarily suggesting we keep the name "Shadowclan." I agree with the comments about respect. Shadowclan was an awesome guild way back when; I have no idea what they're up to today, and I don't care because they aren't doing it on UO, which means they're doing it on some more new-fangled (and therefore vastly inferior) gaming platform. However, this is not grounds for tarnishing the name.

3.) Since there appears to be some interest, perhaps I will send a PM to the gentlemen who run this server and let them know of our interest in starting up a new orc guild.

Could anyone tell me the whereabouts of Bloodclan? I'll go search the forum and see if I can't scrounge up some info for m'self.

Thanks a bundle,
DS

Starting a guild here has nothing to do with staff and u prob wont even receive a response in return if you bring it up to them. They only acknowledge and/or help with those who show their intentions thru actions.

Create the guild make it great and staff will smile upon you.

Let me know if you need any help.

1John5vs7

Wanderer

It would seem the biggest help I could get is a nice sharp knife to cut through the spirit of elitism that plagues old school games. It would seem that the more behind-the-times the graphics, the greater the likelihood that someone thinks they're SO much better than everyone else at something that they get to cop a condescending, arrogant tone to everyone else.

Invariably the result of this is bitterness between everyone involved which leads to further degradation of the game because people leave--or in a best case scenario just stop participating in--the game community. Perhaps it was not the intent of most of the people posting here to come across as snotty and overbearing, but if that's so, you sure fooled me. Why people can't just have a shred of decency when dealing with one another either online or face to face has ever been the source of endless consternation to me. Much more is accomplished through simply stating facts in response to questions rather than stating egos.

One caveat bears mentioning here: I am not suggesting that we treat each other like fluffy, delicate little flowers. I'm not suggesting that you invite your fellow gamer over for tea and crumpets. What I'm suggesting is the permanent stowage of attitudes of "you're not good enough to play here" or "how stupid of you for not knowing any better" or "why not put your money where your mouth is." There is a vast world of difference--or at least their darn well ought to be!--between a PVP server and a smorgasbord for 30-something basement-dwelling sociopaths. For the latter, there is this lovely invention out there called World of Warcraft where you actually advance in the game by being a mindless nard.

What I've decided to do from the attitudes here is to not bother with trying to start something new because it's likely, based on my best guess that the posters in this thread are a representative sampling of the player base, that any new guild would be more or less instantly torn apart by bickering and subsequent sulking. I have plenty of that in my day job trying to run a team of people, each of whom think they're the best thing since ginger snaps (those things are friggin' AWESOME! Hoowah random segues!) and the fact is they are uneducated, uninspired, and unwilling to lift a finger to better themselves, so I was hired to light a fire under their butts to DO something because I give a crap. I don't have the energy to try to FORCE someone to have more fun playing a recreational game. If you want to continue with the same stale crap, then go for it; I won't add anything new or interesting to the game, scout's honor. -.-

1John5vs7;1945937 said:
It would seem the biggest help I could get is a nice sharp knife to cut through the spirit of elitism that plagues old school games. It would seem that the more behind-the-times the graphics, the greater the likelihood that someone thinks they're SO much better than everyone else at something that they get to cop a condescending, arrogant tone to everyone else.

Invariably the result of this is bitterness between everyone involved which leads to further degradation of the game because people leave--or in a best case scenario just stop participating in--the game community. Perhaps it was not the intent of most of the people posting here to come across as snotty and overbearing, but if that's so, you sure fooled me. Why people can't just have a shred of decency when dealing with one another either online or face to face has ever been the source of endless consternation to me. Much more is accomplished through simply stating facts in response to questions rather than stating egos.

One caveat bears mentioning here: I am not suggesting that we treat each other like fluffy, delicate little flowers. I'm not suggesting that you invite your fellow gamer over for tea and crumpets. What I'm suggesting is the permanent stowage of attitudes of "you're not good enough to play here" or "how stupid of you for not knowing any better" or "why not put your money where your mouth is." There is a vast world of difference--or at least their darn well ought to be!--between a PVP server and a smorgasbord for 30-something basement-dwelling sociopaths. For the latter, there is this lovely invention out there called World of Warcraft where you actually advance in the game by being a mindless nard.

What I've decided to do from the attitudes here is to not bother with trying to start something new because it's likely, based on my best guess that the posters in this thread are a representative sampling of the player base, that any new guild would be more or less instantly torn apart by bickering and subsequent sulking. I have plenty of that in my day job trying to run a team of people, each of whom think they're the best thing since ginger snaps (those things are friggin' AWESOME! Hoowah random segues!) and the fact is they are uneducated, uninspired, and unwilling to lift a finger to better themselves, so I was hired to light a fire under their butts to DO something because I give a crap. I don't have the energy to try to FORCE someone to have more fun playing a recreational game. If you want to continue with the same stale crap, then go for it; I won't add anything new or interesting to the game, scout's honor. -.-

The best advice I can give is to keep forums and game play seperate. Especially in the rp community. All of the people on here are actually extremely different in game. On forums everyone is brutally honest with their opinions and will say whatever. In game for the most part the people in this thread keep it very professional and are very level headed. You cannot let the forum deter you from your in game decisions.

Users have different persona's from within game to forum. This is why most people think im an A$$ because they know me on the forum but then once they rp with me in game they tend to become good friends. I keep my rp and my forum/political views seperate. (for the most part ;))

bowlderfizt neeb runteez helb

wow, didnt know it was possible... but you girls bitch worst then the river runners on divinity, lemme break it down quickly. i am (unfortunatly) gm of orc guild on divinity the ever so poppin 150 populated at a good time time... im sure all you orcs are happy with your epic lootz / hosh guild, i played a few times with yall, great time :).. however, divnity is startin to come together to fight us off... even though suckin at it, they will get their licks in overpowering us a few times. im not asking to leave hybrids epic colors that orcs dont use or the mares a orc cant ride, i am just putting a orcs cry for help out in the world... the rules are a bit diff, we are only a few months old... and i was left to lead a orc guild with only grunt experience from SP shadowclan, were currently the largest guild on server mostly made of players that log on once a blue moon... however we do have our core members/somewhat active's. either way we have fun anytime a group is on.

to those on the opposite side of things, flame all you want, i wont be reading this... infact if your butthurt about anything i said, come log on your divinity account and come get some with your boys :) its weird when exp pots dont stick. i would make a bigger deal of it to challenge ppls larger groups if i knew i had the firepower, (unfort i dont) but im sure we can hold our own against a couple of ya's :p

i need every person that is ready for a little something new in their gaming, some real die hard gruntees! this is not an idea ppl, its goin on as you read this, and there are no plans to stop.

contact info
aim: badderwithnames
divinity vent, orcs channel... PM me from general im usually around, ifnot PM another orc with a message.

if you dont have any of the above, im sorry your doin it wrong.