UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Why KK insteal of M

Vander Nars

Sorceror
Im prolly stepping on a hornet's nest by asking this question but it baffles me so im ask anyways. Why do the people of demise say 1kk instead of 1mil? To add a lil context to my question, iv played on many osi shards even none English and never seen anyone use a different code for million.

MadeInQuebec

Forum Member of the Year 2008
Im prolly stepping on a hornet's next by asking this question but it baffles me so im ask anyways. Why do the people of demise say 1kk instead of 1mil? To add a lil context to my question, iv played on many osi shards even none English and never seen anyone use a different code for million.
We've had that discussion before.

People will come at you with reasoning that makes little to no sense. It's just how things are done here, and it will be hard to change de community.

It bugs me a whole lot, as I've mentionned in previous threads, my brain stutters everytime I read that.

Thus, all I do is I make a concious efforts, to never, ever but these two letter next to each other...

april0395

Sorceror
I feel like this subject comes around every year or so on the forums.

I prefer mil and use it all the time.

Here's some old threads (Thanks MIQ)
http://www.uogamers.com/community/index.php?threads/426833/
http://www.uogamers.com/community/index.php?threads/423548/
http://www.uogamers.com/community/index.php?threads/581546/

Apparently Diablo has the same problem! haha
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5106020573

I've tried searching for "kk instead of mil" and apparently it's too common of a search for the forums. :D

Last edited:

Vander Nars

Sorceror
Fair point that I should have prolly searched before making the post, its been a long time since I posted on a gaming forum so I kinda forgot about the golden rule of search before you ask.

april0395

Sorceror
Fair point that I should have prolly searched before making the post, its been a long time since I posted on a gaming forum so I kinda forgot about the golden rule of search before you ask.
It's okay, I couldn't even search for it on the forums because it said that the phrase I used was too common, so I don't know how you would have been able to find it anyway. I had to resort to google, and MIQ is awesome and provided some links! :)

MadeInQuebec

Meh, tbh search didn't bring up anything.

I scrolled through my history to bring it out, for someone reason it considered the keywords too short to make a search :)

Don't blame yourself, you are the first one to ask in 2016, so you pass!

MadeInQuebec

It's okay, I couldn't even search for it on the forums because it said that the phrase I used was too common, so I don't know how you would have been able to find it anyway. I had to resort to google, and MIQ is awesome and provided some links! :)
LOL I never tought about google, that would have saved me some time ;)

MadeInQuebec

To be honest,

All these threads should be merged, and stickied on top in order to remind people are annoying that is.

silvertiger

Knight
I guess one reason you will hear is 1 thousand 1 thousands. The best reason is that's how it was when I got here. Ha-ha! :p

zulu2401

Squire
K- actually measures distance so it's a nonstandard notation when used for numbers but basically k- three zeros so kk- six zeros meaning 1,000,000.

Last edited:

Toke

Traveler
Im prolly stepping on a hornet's nest by asking this question but it baffles me so im ask anyways. Why do the people of demise say 1kk instead of 1mil? To add a lil context to my question, iv played on many osi shards even none English and never seen anyone use a different code for million.
what i do know is that in many mass economy games mills are called kk as well like runescape people use kk for mills so that could be why just other games communitys returning to uo with their slangs

MadeInQuebec

its a real term.

Prove it.

These guys here have a debate, yet KK is nowhere to be seen in it: http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/181917/mixing-use-of-k-for-thousands-and-mm-for-millions

Wikipedia said:
One million (1,000,000) or one thousand thousand is the natural number following 999,999 and preceding 1,000,001. The word is derived from the early Italianmillione (milione in modern Italian), from mille, "thousand", plus the augmentative suffix -one.[1] It is commonly abbreviated as m[2] or M;[3][4] further MM ("thousand thousands", from Latin "Mille"; not to be confused with the Roman numeral MM = 2,000), mm, or mn in financial contexts.

Wikipedia also does not seem to recognize KK as being a "real term"

And then you have this: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kk

Wiktionary has a whole different definition for kk

I mean, if it's a real term, all I ask for is for at least one source, even if it's only semi reliable (UOG Forums are not) proving that it's something that's used in the world, outside of Demise, because really, that's the only place in this whole damn word, that I've seen that abbreviation ever used.

MadeInQuebec

http://investorshub.advfn.com/boards/read_msg.aspx?message_id=60947514

Its a term coders use. Literally took me one minute.

Besides, dont you know anyone can edit wikipedia?
I actually disagree with that being seen as relevant.

This is the "response" this particular guy gave

To this actually post# 25149 by dadx4

unspokenvoice clearly does not have any reliability attached to him, as it would be the same thing as taking a post from this forum, and trying to convince a third party that everything that's here is absolutely true.

We can also go further back to understand what we are talking about

As you could see in my previous post, other sources are able to back Dad and Cibola, so their statement can be somewhat verified and identified as legitimate.

All that you've found, was another somebody who believes that KK is an actual real term, when in fact, it is not.

MadeInQuebec

Besides, dont you know anyone can edit wikipedia?

Even if anyone can "participate" in edits on wikipedia, some basic things can be assumed right.

I can't go on wikipedia, and edit that the number "1" is part of the martian alphabet and have it immediatly applied on the main wikipedia page. You need reference to edit wikipedia.

The chances that someone went on wikipedia, and made sure to erase that "kk is an actual real term" in order to keep our argument going is slim to none.

The chances that, if there was a reliable reference source, stating that "kk stands for millions" it would have most likely already been edited in wikipedia.

Akka

Sorceror
People around the world recognize "kk" as thousand thousands, if you wont, its your own fault for being hardheaded. KK Is an actual term cause people use it, not because its "on wikipedia".
I bid thee goodday.

PS. do you say hundred thousand ingame like, "0,1kk/m" or "100k" ?