UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Best way to train dex on a pet?

raveX

Page
Ok, so we have a stat gain of once per 5 minutes.

Lets discuss this is a little bit greater detail, though :)

So I started training up some of my pets. With a greater dragon, I killed it/res'ed until it had 0 in all skills. I then cast curse on it to train resist until max (~107). I did this twice and I gained 10 dex the first time and 8 the second. This sound like the best method? What are others doing?

i was disappointed with a Cu I tried this on from 80 resist to 100, I gain 0 dex. I did not kill/res down to 0 yet though.

raveX

Page
I would also like to know what is the best way to gain GD's dex up. Atm it's 65.... :oops:

So I can at least tell you how I have been doing it.

For GD I create a macro to Res and then a quck mind blast to kill. Loop th macro until skills are down to 0. Skills will show as '--' once they drop below 10. They will continue to drop even though you will not be able to see, and the same goes for gaining skill; they will raise but you won't be able to track until they get above 10. (dumb, I know).

Once you killed your dragon down to 0, create a macro to cast curse on it. Also, with the little code that pro hunter shared with us above, I added some time in to pause. You want to maximize the dex gains on the way back up to 100 skill. I am able to get anywhere from 10-20 dex increase overnight.

Be sure to add in feeding your pet to the macro. A loop that runs for 30-40 minutes and then feeds will do the trick.

Resist training is the easiest way to be able to macro this so once the pet gets to 100, I don't bother with melee gains unless I am only a few points away from max dex. I will kill pet down to 0 and start over with resist.

For Cu's the kill macro has to be timed well since they self heal within a few seconds when they are high skill. I use a Res/Fireball macro to do this. With Cu's I will train up their healing (and anat goes up with it) first since they get good gains for it. I do healing first so they don't resist me casting poison on them which i use when there skill in healing gets higher. My macro I adjust along the way up. I don't have any specific skill levels at which I do this since I am still experimenting. But, I start with a few fireballs every few minutes(currently at 4 minute intervals). Once they can start reliably healing, I add a poison into the casting, so Poison, Fireball, Fireball,, etc. I adjust how many fireballs according to their skill level too.

Once healing is done, I will move on to resist. It seems for cu's starting with decent dex(85+) I only have to kill them down to 0 twice.

As an experiment, I tried just going into lich form and letting the Cu (who started at 0 skill) heal me. I only gained 2 points dex overnight so won't be doing it that way again.

Bama

Bug Huntress
I would also like to know what is the best way to gain GD's dex up. Atm it's 65.... :oops:

Put in a bug report explaining that pets should gain stats faster than player do
On OSI by just taking the dang pet out hunting works fine.In fact you can max out your pet's skills and stats before they bond
Having to kill your pet over and over until you get their skill/skills to zero is just stupid

you dont need to. Have two pets fight each other over night, or weaken spam them for a few seconds every 5 minutes.

Ive never had a problem training a pet to 125 dex in a single night, well except greater dragons but im pretty sure they fixed the stam on those.

raveX

Page
I always seem to max a pets skills before dex gets to max (in fact, dex is very far from max...less than 100), so I have to kill them down since they don't seem to gain stats unless they are also gaining skill.

they definitely still gain after skills are capped.

Yes, resist check is just like any of the combat checks. You will gain stats.

raveX

Page
2 hours macroing....no change. Am I too hasty?

I am not confident that pro hunter is right that they gain stats once their skills are capped. Or, he was right at some point in time but it is bugged/broken now. After my Gd's skills were capped, I stayed at the same dex for two weeks while hunting/farming. Not until I killed the dragon down did my dex start to raise again.

I trained cus,reptalons,and hell hounds all like this. I stopped my hell hounds all above 120 to reach the max swing rate they could because i was in a hurry to use them. I never trained dex on a greater dragon becuase it was pointless with the stam issue.

pets.png

I thought they fixed greater dragon stats on demise but looking at the screen shot you posted Im wrong. If its not fixed than dex is pointless because stam is set separate from dex which results in stam not raising with dex.

Code:
SetStam(120,135);

raveX

Page
I am not confident that pro hunter is right that they gain stats once their skills are capped.

After a few hours of casting on a Cu, I got it's Dex to go up one point with it's resist already maxed. So, at least for the Cu's I have confirmed this for myself, although at a pretty slow rate compared to what I am experiencing with skills actually raising.

raveX

Page
So, I 'Clumsy' spammed my Cu with maxed skills for 9 hours and my dex went up 11 points from 93 to 104. Thanks prohunter! Much easier that way. Now I will have to try it on that greater dragon to see if I can get dex to raise as well.

Frasier, you having any luck?

Just to clarify, you want to have eval on your character when you train your pet with mage spells.

As for training greater dragon dex you may want to wait for an official response regarding the bug.

So, I 'Clumsy' spammed my Cu with maxed skills for 9 hours and my dex went up 11 points from 93 to 104. Thanks prohunter! Much easier that way. Now I will have to try it on that greater dragon to see if I can get dex to raise as well.

Frasier, you having any luck?

You can get the dex for g drag to go up, but the stam will be hard locked. I believe it's a bug in the code.