UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Bigtime CPU Lag, Plz Look!

Bigtime CPU Lag, Plz Look!

Ok so i just decided to give this game a try again after getting tired of wow, been a few years since ive played and everything is running like shit. The client maxes out my cpu at 100% and about every 4-5 steps when running my guy will pause for a second or so, then continue running, this happens over and over. Ive tried dropping my desktop resolution down and it helped a little bit but it didnt fix the problem. Any insight on this would be great. I have a pretty decent comp and can run plenty of up to date games and ive ran uo fine in the past, but for some reason its giving me trouble now, I am using razor also. also if i play in windowed mode my UO cursor is so laggy i cant hardly do anything, this was never an issue in the past. Thanks for the help, hopefully someone can help me get this sorted out. :)

Road Dogg

Wanderer
Re: Bigtime CPU Lag, Plz Look!

Hmm..if you ran WoW on the same computer you should be able to play uo.

As for the cpu maxing out, are you sure the only program your running is uo?

Also, have you checked your ping? say "-ping" in game. the lower the better.

Stoltz

Sorceror

1. Get an hammer
2. Get an glas of vodka
3. Pour the vodka over the computer and bash yourself with the hammer!

Sorry, I couldn't help it! It doesn't have to be the computers fault, could be your internet connection, I guess you could always try to reformat your computer. :) Good luck!

Mara

Knight

I bought a new mouse and speedpad, and was using a USB 1.1 connection. I found that using 125 Hz polling was best with my 2.0Ghz processor.

I wasn't sure if it was an issue with my processor being too old, or an issue with the amount of data trying to come through the USB 1.1 hub.

I installed a $15 usb 2.0 card and things seem quite a bit better. I'm currently using 500 Hz polling, but reducing it even further would help reduce CPU usage even more. One thing you can also try if you use UOAutomap, is to turn off the setting that follows your mouse cursor.

Razor Options I use:

Use smart CPU reduction - off
Hotkey for Clear Scavenger Cache - if you use this agent - haven't needed in a while
Hotkey for Clear Drag/Drop Queue - if you move alot of items by macro - haven't needed in a while

Client Options:

Music Off - Preference for me, but helps CPU
Run mouse in separate thread - On(Checked/Default)
Use Circle of Transparency - Off
Cache this many houses on client - I always used 1 all to the left, but have begun to experiment with leaving it at default. The documentation I've read seems to imply that caching more houses on your hard disk speeds things up, but the caching process is something I believed slowed me down. I lag alot in places like Yew Moongate, so not sure what is best.

You should also try reinstalling Razor with the latest version, as well as doing a fresh install of the Client. I recommend patching to one of these levels. UOAutomap bitmaps can be drawn for these(another issue altogether).

6.0.6.1 - Razor RPVs and Razor Party UO positioning still works. Seems like it has fastest loading time to me.
6.0.14.3 - Most stable and Razor Party UO positioning still works. Most recommended by staff at this time.

Or you can patch all the way. Some people do, and think that that is the best.

You should also check in your Task Manager and see what processes are eating up your CPU usage. Perhaps there are services that you can turn off that you don't need, or maybe you have a program that is causing problems.

Ok, about the cpu usage, when i minimize uo, it drops to 2-5%, when i maximize it hits 95-100% instantly, the game is playable, but not playable enough for pvp. Im patched to 6.0.14.3, Razor up to date, Graphics drivers up to date, etc. Like i said, ive played in the past with no problems, Could run wow at nearly 60 fps at all times, HL 2, The witcher, PSXe games, and just about anything else from 2005 and older with no problems, Ive also noticed that if im playing in windowed mode and i shrink the window to where only the gameplay window is visible the game will run flawlessly, My desktop resolution is set to 1680x1050, if i drop that down it runs a little better but the only way i can get perfect results is if i shrink the window like i said above, or play in full screen, ive been looking around for someone with a similar problem and cant seem to find one... Very strange that this is happening when i played before on a 8 year old comp with no problems. Also my ping - min = 43 max = 96 average = 85. Thanks for responding guys but im still stuck with this one :(

Mara

Knight

Not sure if it helps, but:

I use a desktop resolution of 1360x1024
In razor I use force gamesize option to 1024x768

Could give it a shot and see what happens. A lot of people have supposedly had issues with using smart CPU reduction on computers with multiple cores. Definitely try turning it off if you haven't already.

The mouse thing that I was talking about. Not sure where the issue was in my system, but anytime I moved around when I was using the higher polling rates, I would instantly spike to 100% because of all the data being processed by UO and UOAutomap. Setting the polling rate to 125Hz is an option to try.

Hope you get it all sorted out.

peteliv

Knight

i can attest to the multicore issue with ultima and choppy framerate, i am using 1024x768
as both my montior and my razor size

if anything run defrag and see how much white you got left if your comp is totally filled or close (80) try a system restore then youll be all good

LordAb0rtion;2008695 said:
Ok so i just decided to give this game a try again after getting tired of wow, been a few years since ive played and everything is running like shit. The client maxes out my cpu at 100% and about every 4-5 steps when running my guy will pause for a second or so, then continue running, this happens over and over. Ive tried dropping my desktop resolution down and it helped a little bit but it didnt fix the problem. Any insight on this would be great. I have a pretty decent comp and can run plenty of up to date games and ive ran uo fine in the past, but for some reason its giving me trouble now, I am using razor also. also if i play in windowed mode my UO cursor is so laggy i cant hardly do anything, this was never an issue in the past. Thanks for the help, hopefully someone can help me get this sorted out. :)

the problem is you shouldnt use a computer

if uo maxes out your cpu you either have a BEYOND garbage system,

or you have virus's and the like because its your first day on the internet

noob

Lol.. Im running a Core 2 duo @ 3.2 ghz w/ 2 gb of ram and an nvidia 8600gt graphics card.. im quite sure that is enough to play this game considering it will run on a pentium 2. Its obviously not an issue with my computer or i wouldnt be able to run up to date games... And im sure ive got enough sense to make sure i dont have viruses/adware/malware etc. But thanks for your psychic insight on my "garbage" system, you obviously didnt read my next post. But thanks to those of you who actually tried to help me figure out the problem.

Mara

Knight

I did a quick search for your graphics card and here is one review Tech ARP - NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT Graphics Card Review Rev. 2.0. It talks alot about the limitations of the card when run at higher resolutions, and mentions a 1024x768 or 800x600 max for certain games. Maybe rendering the high res desktop and game window together is the issue.

Other things you can try that weren't mentioned before: Lower the refresh rate to 85Hz or less, turn off vsync, and triple buffering if applicable.

If you are running Windows 7 - put client.exe and razor.exe in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode. If running Vista, I'm not sure - but they probably have similar option.

Well after looking at that i tried it with 800x600 and it works fine. Which is strange cause ive never had problems with other games at high resolution... I guess it just has something to do with the way the game works and my card. That seems to be the only thing that works tho, ive turned off Vsync and my refresh rate was already at 60hz But nothing helped untill i lowered my resolution all the way... Strange =P Thanks for your time tho. :)

For what its worth, after testing a few more things ive found that it doesnt matter what resolution i use as long as i force 16 bit color for uo rather than 32 bit... Any idea why color style would cause game lag?

zoo york

Knight

Try a newer patch. I have 4 clients running at the moment, and none of my four cores are over 5%. W7 x64, not sure if that has anything do with it. My video card sucks too, oldass 7600gt. Also, make sure smart cpu reduction is off if you haven't already.

Mara

Knight

I think that your desktop resolution is too high. When you are in windowed mode, UO/graphics card still renders all the black area around your game window where you put your paperdoll and everything else. If you experiment with different combinations of gamewindow size and desktop resolution, you will see differences. I think that your graphics card is processing the max amount of data it can, and then some of the load is getting shifted to the CPU. All the other games I played were in full-screen where I think that the game decides the resolution (usually pretty low) in the game options.

Try desktop resolution of 1152x864 and then use 800x600 for your game window. Razor can force the game window to sizes different than those available in the client options too, under the more options tab.

Personally I like 1360x1024 for my desktop and 1024x768 for game window. The ratio yields the perfect amount of black space for me around the game window and is also at a resolution that my graphics card can handle. My refresh is at 85Hz with 32-bit color, ATI Radeon 9550 / 256MB, pretty old card by todays standards. This is what it looks like for me(see below).

One last thing that I thought of: If your graphics card uses a fan to cool it, the fan may have stopped cooling properly. I had it happen to me, and when I put extra load on it, the graphics would start locking up. If you do run the machine with the case open to look at it with a flashlight, be careful not to touch anything. Prior to touching things, remember to discharge all your static electricity on something metal, turn off the machine, hold power in to discharge residual, etc.

Maybe you could pop in a couple of those other modern games you play, try to play them at the desktop resolution that you were using(not the gamesize res), and see what happens. Stuff is a pain in the butt, been there a few times myself since I am usually too cheap to buy a new computer. The one I'm using is from 2002. Good luck.

Attachments

• Morasha_12-31_15.56.jpg
    Morasha_12-31_15.56.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 34