UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Demise Sports a New Look

LadyCrimson

Wanderer
Demise Sports a New Look

Demise is proud to announce the new website. While a few areas are still under construction, the overall look and feel of both the website and forums has changed.

This is a fantastic change for Demise and helps us put our best foot forward for anyone looking to join the shard.

LC

LadyCrimson

Wanderer
Re: Demise Sports a New Look

It was noted a while back we needed a new site. When it initially went "down", Ryan was working on it but then decided to bring in Ra to give the sites an overhaul. That's all I know :)

LC

Also, as a note, this is more or less the same skin and graphics that were used for Divinity's new site as well.

I must say, the banner is 100x as good as the old one, (which was 'borrowed' from Hybrid, as I recall...) though I can't say I'm QUITE too keen on many elements of the skin. Namely, I personally prefer bright text-on-dark backgrounds, for one... Though as I agree with LC and others in noting that the gold text of the old board *had* to go.

Additionally, I personally preferred the old "spellbook" icon to the "torch" icon for sub-forums; it was more readily identifiable. And likewise, I'd personally prefer a hue change of books rather than swapping from the open/closed ones. That's just my opinion, though. Overall, it's an improvement. :)

Ra

Sorceror

Nottheking;337170 said:
Also, as a note, this is more or less the same skin and graphics that were used for Divinity's new site as well.

I must say, the banner is 100x as good as the old one, (which was 'borrowed' from Hybrid, as I recall...) though I can't say I'm QUITE too keen on many elements of the skin. Namely, I personally prefer bright text-on-dark backgrounds, for one... Though as I agree with LC and others in noting that the gold text of the old board *had* to go.

Additionally, I personally preferred the old "spellbook" icon to the "torch" icon for sub-forums; it was more readily identifiable. And likewise, I'd personally prefer a hue change of books rather than swapping from the open/closed ones. That's just my opinion, though. Overall, it's an improvement. :)

The whole idea behind the torches being used as the new forum icons was to give the idea that this is all "on a stone wall", thus flaming torches hanging on that stonewall.

The books, I think, make sense as a 'thread' icon. But, its all a matter of preference of course.

Ra;337178 said:
The whole idea behind the torches being used as the new forum icons was to give the idea that this is all "on a stone wall", thus flaming torches hanging on that stonewall.
Oh, I agree it's *very* thematic... It's just that I preferred the spellbooks purely due to how they changed their appearance entirely between the "no new threads" and "new threads" appearances, rather than just the difference of the flame.

Though were it a stone wall, wouldn't something a bit less bright (or at least less color-neutral) be in order? :p

Ra

Sorceror

Nottheking;337186 said:
Though were it a stone wall, wouldn't something a bit less bright (or at least less color-neutral) be in order? :p

No.

:p

marcusstone

Sorceror

Torches hang on stone wall, but are also a metephore for all the flaming that goes on in our forums :)
J/K looks great... seemed bright at first, but getting used to it now...

[Drakull]

Knight

I personally don't dislike the change, but a couple suggestions:
1) Allowing to choose an alternate "less-bright" (or even between an option of a couple of them if possible) skin based on the user's profile.
2) Also would be great if being allowed to choose between books or torches based on the user profile options or skin choosen. Even if the thematic will persist (c'mon... there are also bookcases in the walls ;) ) it will also give more clarity.
3) What is the "my uodemise" option in the main menu? it does not seem to do a thing? Will it show the characters in a future like it does in I think it was hybrid?
4) Change the grey font in used, for example,in the active-users list and in the birthdays list, and also in the groups/threads descriptions to a color that puts a little bit more of contrast with the background. It's a bit harder to see (specially in the last post column where the background is also a little bit darker).

Other than that, great job :)

Ra

Sorceror

1) When it comes to allowing the user to choose an alternate skin, that can be done. HOWEVER, I have put a lot of time into getting this design full-fletch, and it'd take me even more time to make a dark version. I am a web designer, thus I only have limited time. If the occasion rises though, I dont see it being a problem in the future.

2) All thread icons are not permanent. However, I believe the forum icons (hanging torches) are probably permanent. It was a suggestion by some of the staff, and it seems to be playing off well. All you gotta do is look for an animated-burning torch opposed to an non-animated dead torch :)

3) The MyDemise link is not available at this time, because it'll take some time to develop it. I have no control over that area, so I really have no comment. But, I do believe it is in the very near future!

4) Request for gray font change has been considered. Ill be making a few different color adjustments tomorrow after I wake up from a much-needed sleep.

I hope my answers were helpful. And remember, as I mentioned previously, a good website is never truly finished. And being that I will be the dedicated web developer, I will see that both site and forums will remain as up-to-par as possible.

I thank everybody for their suggestions, and encourage you all to suggest more if need be. Im not saying your dreams will come true, but everything is always considered with LOGIC.

Thank you for your time :)

Also, please refrain from making new threads about the design. If you have any questions/comments/suggestions, just make a reply here. Thanks.

Heh, you posted that at the EXACT same time I made a thread of the very type you were just requesting we didn't make. :p

At any rate, this is mostly a re-post of what I said in the aforementioned thread; just comments on what, to me, seems to be the higher-priority things as far as updating the website goes...
  • Downloads page
    • The page lists ConnectUO as "the easiest way to connect" while no mention is made toward the fact that Razor can connect to Demise on its own, and rather easily itself, since it's in the drop-down and all.
    • Also, the description for Ventrilo says you can "chat with other members of UOGamers: Demise." However, to the BEST of my knowledge, there is, sadly, no Vent server for the whole shard, just some guild-owned ones. Perhaps someone might be interested in rectifying this? :p
    • Lastly, there is no mention of UOautomap; since other "helpful extras" are mentioned, I think that this one would bear mentioning.
  • Rules page
    • VERY importantly, I believe that there should be mention among the rules of what third-party programs are allowed, perhaps along with notices that use of modified Razor or Kkrios would merit an insta-ban.
    • While some might consider it "common sense," I think that mention of exploits should be mentioned in the rules page, to remind people that they should *report* them rather than try to use them. This would serve to point out that the staff *are* aware of the presence of potential exploits, and *do* take care of them.
  • Other things
    • I noticed that the new page lacks the presence of of the "players online" figure.
    • In a similar vein, I noticed that the page also lacks the "ConnectUO ranking" banner, which also means that it lacks the direct link to vote for Demise. After all the hard pushing we did to bring this site to #1, the link then gets taken away? :p
    • Lastly, the page *also* seems to lack a quick link to the online status report, or for that matter, a known address where we could find said report.

Ra

Sorceror

Hehe, talk about back-and-forth :p

Ra;337758 said:
For now on, please visit http://www.uodemise.com/forum/showpost.php?p=337753&postcount=12 to post any concerns with the new website.

Now then, to answer your questions:

As far as the downloads page goes, as long as it is desirable by other staff members, then Ill go ahead and add those links. Unfortunately, I dont make decisions, Im just a TOOL.

I did not write up the rules page, I just coded it. HOWEVER, Im pretty sure a change with our rules setup is coming soon.

As LC mentioned, the ConnectUO vote button, as well as server status, will be available in the near future. We are developing a new 'thematic' way to fit in with the new design. LC couldn't have said it better, the yellow was way to loud for the design. Rest assured, it'll all work out well.

[Drakull]

Knight

Ra;337753 said:
3) The MyDemise link is not available at this time, because it'll take some time to develop it. I have no control over that area, so I really have no comment. But, I do believe it is in the very near future!

4) Request for gray font change has been considered. Ill be making a few different color adjustments tomorrow after I wake up from a much-needed sleep.
About 3) Any advance you can make about what it will be used for? :) (curiosity killed the cat, I know. :D ).

About 4), if you notice, also the white color selected for example, for the name of certain staff members (like Ryan) is really hard to read with the white in the "wall" design (same with the aim in your signature).
Thank you for considering the suggestions :)

Drakull-demise;337588 said:
3) What is the "my uodemise" option in the main menu? it does not seem to do a thing? Will it show the characters in a future like it does in I think it was hybrid?
Forgot to notice this bit: both Hybrid and Divinity have this feature. Among other things, it includes "tracking" of the shard's guilds and players. On Hybrid, it also has tracking of factions, stastitics, (which for Demise would be a prime place to link to the online report) as well as recording RPVs of everything through their duel systems, as well as tracking of their poker system.

On demise, since we don't have Hybrid's dueling system or poker system, we wouldn't have databases of that information, obviously. However, it would likely have stuff on characters, guilds, factions, the Demise Status report, and maybe something else... Perhaps tracking of the most recent gauntlet artifact drops? (i.e, item dropped, boss type, date/time, and POSSIBLY the winner, though perhaps kept secret to protect their privacy...)

Lastly, as a note, I realized that at least for Divinity, it doesn't update terribly fast: the statistics for my Divinity character are *way* out of date. :p