UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

EA games, a class-action lawsuit, and my $100 victory

Chaos_Lord

Sorceror
I'm not sure if anyone was aware of the class-action lawsuit against EA games regarding the their monopoly on the NFL license of player/team likenesses.
I filed my claim last year and recently received my check for about $100.

To be honest I wouldn't have filed if EA games never bought OSI. Although they did monopolize the NFL franchise on games, I always felt that since I voluntarily purchased Madden and NCAA that it was my choice.
I filed the suit because I hate EA games over their handling of UO. I had a right to file, but it was my personal dislike, not the monopoly, that I filed over.
Since EA banned my account for saying "We raped you guys at tortoise" (I'll never forgot those words, we raped UOF at tortoise :) ), my first ever account warning resulting in a perma-ban, I will not purchase EA games. EA games has been banned from my household.
My kids get pissed over a few titles (mainly battlefield) when they request an EA games for Xmas(this happened one time in 08) but overall it hasn't really negatively effected anything. My wife was pissed when I cancelled her POGO (her account was linked to the same debit card) but shes replaced those time wasters with Facebook games.
Although $100 is nothing compared to what I paid EA games over the course of playing UO, I feel victorious!
I will continue my battle with EA games! No EA games/products/services will be purchased by my money in my household. I will trash EA, EA customer service, and their policies at every turn possible. I will continue playing run-uo shards without a thought to the massive rip-off that is the EA created monstrosity they call UO!

In the end I know everything I can do is ultimately pointless in the face of such a massive company as EA Games but that will not stop me. I know the loss of my paltry $306 per year(Madden 60, NCAA 60, UO 156, POGO 30) is nothing to EA games but it is everything to me. My consumer choice and word of mouth are the only weapons I have. I am massively outgunned but I will keep fighting!
Phuck EA Games!

everything in italics was an edit! Stikethroughs were also edited.

whoever you were on LS, you probably sucked anyways.

Source: i played LS, and nobody is better than me. As i am the greatest person to ever live in the world.

Everblossom

Squire
Made me lol.

Also abit 2 face since you play uo and uo is part of ea games.

You retrict your kids and wife to play certain tittles since they are owned by ea and well you don't even follow your own rule.

Sad.

This. The fact that you filed a claim doesn't bother me as much as the fact that you're so controlling when it comes to your family while you bend the rules you set for them in your favor.

HOHOHOHOHORACE

Wanderer
lol.
I'm not sure if anyone was aware of the class-action lawsuit against EA games regarding the their monopoly on the NFL license of player/team likenesses.
I filed my claim last year and recently received my check for about $100.

To be honest I wouldn't have filed if EA games never bought OSI. Although they did monopolize the NFL franchise on games, I always felt that since I voluntarily purchased Madden and NCAA that it was my choice.
I filed the suit because I hate EA games over their handling of UO. I had a right to file, but it was my personal dislike, not the monopoly, that I filed over.
Since EA banned my account for saying "We raped you guys at tortoise" (I'll never forgot those words, we raped UOF at tortoise :) ), my first ever account warning resulting in a perma-ban, EA games has been banned from my household.
My kids get pissed over a few titles (mainly battlefield) when they request an EA games for Xmas but overall it hasn't really negatively effected anything. My wife was pissed when I cancelled her POGO but shes replaced those time wasters with Facebook games.
Although $100 is nothing compared to what I paid EA games over the course of playing UO, I feel victorious!
I will continue my battle with EA games! No EA games/products/services will be purchased in my household. I will trash EA, EA customer service, and their policies at every turn possible. I will continue playing run-uo shards without a thought to the massive rip-off that is the EA created monstrosity they call UO!

In the end I know everything I can do is ultimately pointless in the face of such a massive company as EA Games but that will not stop me. I know the loss of my paltry $306 per year(Madden 60, NCAA 60, UO 156, POGO 30) is nothing to EA games but it is everything to me. My consumer choice and word of mouth are the only weapons I have. I am massively outgunned but I will keep fighting!
Phuck EA Games!

You are crazy, please use that money wisely and spend it on therapy.

mantorras

Sorceror

Chaos_Lord

Sorceror
Okay, I edited some of the OP to reflect reality.

I will not argue I may be a little off but I think my OP was more aggressive than reality.

underthought

Sorceror
So you boycott EA games, I get it. I boycott things in this over corporatized society too , as long as your not forcing your ideals on others. Talking it over on how you see it, is always a much better approach. I don't see it contradictory to be playing a EA game for free either ,that they took over from another company. I can also see your mistake on the OP lol
Kinda wished I would have applied for this 100 bucks, I would have donated it to charity.

Chaos_Lord

Sorceror
noooooooooooo!

Change it back, we are only interested in controversy. The original post is much more conducive for this purpose! lol

Agreed, I was going to try and explain how; I'm not a controlling dick , My teenagers have their own choices, and I am not totally mental (only slightly) but rereading the post I had to agree with the consensus that i was a madman.

I do have a specific hatred for EA games. Not only for the banning of my accounts, the handling of UO, the handling of SimCity, microtransactions for everything (deadspace 3 and Star Wars:ToR) but also their use of "one-time" codes for online play on modern titles such as madden and NCAA.

The one-time online codes really piss me off. This raises the cost for me directly, as a player and as a parent. I now have to buy (if I played Madden) a code to play online so I can play with my own account. Considering I have 2 kids and myself, that makes Madden/NCAA/NBA/NHL titles cost $80 instead of $60 to get the same playability that I received for $60 from previous Maddens and competeing titles(if there were any due to the monopoly of EA games on Sports franchises). These codes destroy an entire used-game marketplace (Gamefly and Gamestop, I like availability of cheap old games) with those gaming restrictions, raising the cost of playing in order to protect the $60 buy-new value.

They buy up small companies who focus on making a great game that might make money and change it into a penny-squeezing POS for the masses. As generally a niche gamer (come on, I play 20 year old titles like UO), I miss those niche gaming companies that didn't pander to the lowest common denominator. I also miss NEW sequels to old titles, not just a retextured version of whatever I bought last year with new player rosters/levels/items.

Not to mention they make cookie-cutter games with sweatshop programmers. They force their game teams to work 70-90 hours a week with no overtime pay (they have lost multiple lawsuits for labor violations, google it).

Ea games stands for everything I hate in modern day game companies. Large monstrous conglomerates focused on pure profit who arn't afraid to totally destroy a franchise in order to make an unfinished game ready on time .

(EDIT) I didn't even get a chance to rant on thier customer service.....the worst CS in America!

/ end rant

mytilus

Sorceror
Agreed, I was going to try and explain how; I'm not a controlling dick , My teenagers have their own choices, and I am not totally mental (only slightly) but rereading the post I had to agree with the consensus that i was a madman.

I do have a specific hatred for EA games. Not only for the banning of my accounts, the handling of UO, the handling of SimCity, microtransactions for everything (deadspace 3 and Star Wars:ToR) but also their use of "one-time" codes for online play on modern titles such as madden and NCAA.

The one-time online codes really piss me off. This raises the cost for me directly, as a player and as a parent. I now have to buy (if I played Madden) a code to play online so I can play with my own account. Considering I have 2 kids and myself, that makes Madden/NCAA/NBA/NHL titles cost $80 instead of $60 to get the same playability that I received for $60 from previous Maddens and competeing titles(if there were any due to the monopoly of EA games on Sports franchises). These codes destroy an entire used-game marketplace (Gamefly and Gamestop, I like availability of cheap old games) with those gaming restrictions, raising the cost of playing in order to protect the $60 buy-new value.

They buy up small companies who focus on making a great game that might make money and change it into a penny-squeezing POS for the masses. As generally a niche gamer (come on, I play 20 year old titles like UO), I miss those niche gaming companies that didn't pander to the lowest common denominator. I also miss NEW sequels to old titles, not just a retextured version of whatever I bought last year with new player rosters/levels/items.

Not to mention they make cookie-cutter games with sweatshop programmers. They force their game teams to work 70-90 hours a week with no overtime pay (they have lost multiple lawsuits for labor violations, google it).

Ea games stands for everything I hate in modern day game companies. Large monstrous conglomerates focused on pure profit who arn't afraid to totally destroy a franchise in order to make an unfinished game ready on time .

(EDIT) I didn't even get a chance to rant on thier customer service.....the worst CS in America!

/ end rant

HAAZAAAAAH!

Dexter-LoM

Knight

/ end rant

Back in my younger days there was more companies that had sport games. BUT in all games "EA Sports" had the best. I don't blame them. If you had the chance to take control and exceed in every way you would do the same. If I read your post I guess you feel the same way about the Xbox "microsoft" charges a monthly fee on top of the other monthly fees ie (Netflix) you pay your netflix 9$ month and you still have to pay microsoft just to connect to the internet that you also pay. It's a easy way to pocket money and the worst is that people pay that is why they do it.

mytilus

Sorceror
its the digital mafia...

if you don't pay your bill you're going in the oven head first!!
ok maybe not but you can't play our games lol

unknownhost

Sorceror
surprised this post didn't get more positive support.

totally applaud the resolve!

to some degree i can empathize, to this day i have only bad words for raph koster and willingly turn away from anything suffering his foul taint.

sk8nomad

Sorceror
its just business. anytime something changes, someone always gets mad, and someone is always happy. even if u don't change anything someones always mad, and someones always happy. life goes on. life is good! cool thread though :) even if it is off topic.