UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Game of the year?

SpiralIPY

Wanderer
Game of the year?

What game you think will win game of the year?
Which games do you think deserves an honorable mention?

dead-eye

Knight
Re: Game of the year?

Halo 3 will win this. you all know this. So i dont see why you bother posting others.

Ive heard bioshock sucks monkey balls.

psz

Administrator

The only people who hated Bioshock were PS3 owners and people who like out-and-out FPS' (which Bioshock is NOT, I don't care what the "genre listing" says).

Halo 3 is everything everyone EXPECTED, so I don't think it'll win. Bioshock ended up being better (both in sales and reviews) than everyone expected, so it looks to possibly take top honours. (Not better in sales than Halo 3, I mean better than what people expected of it ;->

CoD4 is universally regarded as amazing.

AssCreed (>:->) is getting mixed reviews, but overall seems to be getting a good head of steam.

Mass Effect isn't out yet, so no comment.

But... Overall, I'd have to say......

Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

Guys I'm going to have to give honorable mention to this beauty:

Attachments

• mariokart.jpg
    mariokart.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 142

If you hit A B Y X and i THINK L and R at the same time on the character selection screen, you can shrink your characters and all your opponents for the following races.

Eskeshehir;327621 said:
If you hit A B Y X and i THINK L and R at the same time on the character selection screen, you can shrink your characters and all your opponents for the following races.

I am undefeated at SNES Mario Kart.

Don't try and impress me with your petty so called "Knowledge" about the greatest game on the planet earth.

lol.

<3's Esk.

pbguy434

Knight

dead-eye;327404 said:
Halo 3 will win this. you all know this. So i dont see why you bother posting others.

Halo three would win if the best game of the year was a poll. Luckily for us, best game of the year rewards come from mostly magazine companies. Anything that comes out solely for a console, imo, is far from a best game of a year.

From a pure gameplay perspective, BioShock was all sorts of amazing. It will be a total contestant as long as they don't take in the PC troubles.

I'd definitely have to go with BioShock, out of the ones I have played.

My guesses? I'd place bets on the following for each platform. At any rate, I'd note that this has very clearly been a year for FPS titles, as you'll see. I'll list them in order of what I consider their chances:
  • PC:
    • Crysis - People, this is what the NEXT generation of console games will look like. It's friggin' BEAUTIFUL, and the gameplay matches the appearance.
    • Unreal Tournament III - We've been waiting for it, and here it is: an Unreal Engine 3.0 game that was NOT made for a console first; as such, there were few limitations holding back the designers.
    • The Orange Box - Kinda cheap to name a whole compilation, but hey, people are treating it as one game. And it's hard to beat the value for $50US: 2004's hands-down GOTY for the PC, PLUS both episodes, PLUS Team Fortress 2, AND best of all, the delight that is Portal. Still, the fact that it's a compilation may put it off, since it's not a single game.
    • BioShock - Some people say they were surprised by this game. Was anyone who's familiar with the System Shock games really all that surprised? An amazing atmosphere was present here.
    • S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - What an atmosphere. Although most media have reserved from giving it artificially-glowing reviews, it's pretty clear that this is a game to beat, combining FPS gameplay with the world and atmosphere you'd expect in an RPG.
    • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Unlike the previous two games in the series, it appears that Infinity Ward actually went and did something NEW here, rather than the re-hash that was CoD3, and the disappointment that was CoD2.
  • Xbox 360:
    • BioShock - BioShock... What more need be said? With its gripping atmosphere, it was great enough that people were able to overlook some of its other flaws in gameplay.
    • The Orange Box - Just like on the PC, another contender on the Xbox 360, for the exact same reasons. Especially given the elevated price of Xbox 360 games, it's good to have a title with so much content and playability that isn't more expensive.
    • Halo 3 - People waited, people got it. Though in all honesty, while it *is* a great game, it feels a lot like just a refinement of Halo 2, rather than a massive revolution. Multiplayer just about hits it perfect here, finally, though the graphics are perhaps a bit sub-par for an Xbox 360 title. One wonders: What took Microsoft so long to get to this point?
    • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - In all honesty, for a while, the Xbox 360 was lacking in shooter games, which is supposed to be one of the cornerstones of Microsoft's console lineup; with only the vastly disappointing Perfect Dark Zero upon launch, and then only Gears of War (which isn't even first-person) to speak for the next year, it's important that more FPS titles came out.
  • Playstation3
    • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - It's been a flush so far for this game, and it seems that it's done well on every platform it's come to. Unfortunately, this seems to be really the *only* truly good title out on the PS3, and to add insult to injury, it's just a port, even if a good one. Metal Gear Solid 4, where are you? The PS3 remains laughable until you can arrive.
    • Assassin's Creed - Yes, it's also available for the Xbox 360, but there it wouldn't stand much of a chance against the juggernauts available on it. However, here, it might stand a chance, again highlighting the PS3's poor library, even one year into its life cycle.
  • Wii
    • Super Mario Galaxy - People have perhaps waited some 11 years for this: a worthy successor to the legendary Super Mario 64. No, it isn't an FPS, but it's arguably the finest game out yet this year. And the reviews reflect this: even with most reviews already in, reviewers consider it the second-finest game of all time. It's quite possible that this game not only has a lock on the Wii's GOTY, but the console GOTY as well, much to the Xbox 360's chagrin.
    • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Though perhaps a bit more of an action-adventure title, this still has a lot of FPS elements to it. And it certainly was worth the wait.
    • Super Smash Bros.: Brawl - Even though this isn't even out yet, it's quite possibly bested almost any title out there for the amount of buzz it's had going: people have been talking about it for over a year. It's certain to be good when it hits the scene in December, but the question is HOW good?

dead-eye;327404 said:
Heh, you mean what is, according to reviews, only the THIRD-best FPS released for the Xbox 360? And since when does the GOTY have to be an Xbox 360 game?

Kowe

Wanderer

Super Mario kart wins hands down!

But in all cerealness, I played the crysis demo and loved it, but it didn't quite hook me fully, I'm sure I'll get the full game and finish it and love every minute. Deffinate contester, I don't know about winner.

COD4 is in the same boat as Crysis, as is UT3. (though the UT3 demo didn't really showcase much at all that will be in the full game)

The only new game I've played recently that has fully hooked me is Super Mario Galaxy. Metriod 3 had it's grip on me for a while but the grip wasn't strong enough :p

Also, some other good mentions: Super Paper Mario, Blue Dragon(X360), Hellgate: london (this one is iffy, good game but needs work IMO), Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (great game), and of course who could forget:

Beautiful Katamari!!!!!!!!

psz

Administrator

Blue Dragon is good. It really REALLY is (I'm on disc 3), however, seeing as it's really an SNES Final Fantasy made for 360 (this is NOT a bad thing, BTW... FF5 and 6 ftw), I don't see it winning (at least to Western reviewers)

Katamari is Katamari is Katamari: Addictive, Fun, but no longer original... It really IS the PS2 games with new maps on a better machine.

Jericho looked interesting, but just didn't quite make it. It's desensitizing, unfortunately, after the first 20 minutes.

Here's one "out of left field": Naruto - Rise Of A Ninja (X360). Take the open world of a GTA or Crackdown, mix in really good graphics, hundreds of side-missions/mini-games, a "sourcebook accurate" map, and a really clever and fun fighting engine, and you have a really genuinely fun "quicky" game (pop it in, play for 20 minutes to a couple of hours... Whatever suits your fancy)

Bioshock will, most likely, win... It was never meant to be a "Killer App" and ended up topping sales for August on both platforms (X360/PC) it was released on, even though it was only released for 2 weeks in August. The additional "Secret Achievment for 100 points" on the 360 adds to the interest, of course... (Running theory is either "Beating the game on the hardest level without using a Vita-Chamber", or "Harvesting All Little Sisters")

Kowe;327780 said:
Super Mario kart wins hands down!

But in all cerealness, I played the crysis demo and loved it, but it didn't quite hook me fully, I'm sure I'll get the full game and finish it and love every minute. Deffinate contester, I don't know about winner.

COD4 is in the same boat as Crysis, as is UT3. (though the UT3 demo didn't really showcase much at all that will be in the full game)

The only new game I've played recently that has fully hooked me is Super Mario Galaxy. Metriod 3 had it's grip on me for a while but the grip wasn't strong enough :p

Also, some other good mentions: Super Paper Mario, Blue Dragon(X360), Hellgate: london (this one is iffy, good game but needs work IMO), Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (great game), and of course who could forget:

Beautiful Katamari!!!!!!!!

I expected so much more from Hellgate:Londen...horrible gameplay,ugly graphs,and every street in the game almost looks the same :(

Mario-Demise

Sorceror

psz;327560 said:
The only people who hated Bioshock were PS3 owners and people who like out-and-out FPS' (which Bioshock is NOT, I don't care what the "genre listing" says).

Halo 3 is everything everyone EXPECTED, so I don't think it'll win. Bioshock ended up being better (both in sales and reviews) than everyone expected, so it looks to possibly take top honours. (Not better in sales than Halo 3, I mean better than what people expected of it ;->

CoD4 is universally regarded as amazing.

H3 sucked. It was a major disappointment I think
Cod4 is amazingly sweet, but once you reach 55 witch is the level cap, Really makes the game boring only because you don't have nothing to look forward to in all your killings. But I think i herd it starts over, but it hasn't for me yet.

psz

Administrator

It does, sorta, though I don't know the exact details. Something about having a special logo or icon or something.

I still enjoy Halo 3. I haven't beaten the single player campaign, but the mutliplayer is fun (even at my pathetic level 12 Sgt. ranking)

Mario-Demise

Sorceror

yeah, Did you noticed though the awful beat down delay? or the Sniper shot delay? inconceivably horrible. I did hear they were supposed to fix that but I have my doubts.. by the way, How is the campaign? I herd at least it, was pretty decent. H2's campaign was so bad I'm scared to try it.