UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Game of the year?

psz

Administrator
Re: Game of the year?

You can't hate people for liking Halo 3: It's popular, got good reviews, and is still selling well. (At one point more people in the US owned Halo 3 than PS3)

I'm a bit surprised DiRT won, to be honest... It's got great graphics, but no real multiplayer to speak of, no car customization, and Forza's physics are a tad better. It's almost as if they thought they had too much 360 content on the winner's list...

Spike's VGAs have come under criticism in the past for promoting games that had JUST come out (sometimes to bad reviews AND sales) as nominees for GotY due to advertising revenue, as well as for blacklisting WWE games when SpikeTV signed with TNA and the TNA game was announced. Maybe they didn't want to be accused of being 360FanBoys?

Zyro

Wanderer

Maybe, but I just think that there's more popular titles on the 360. A lot of the Wii titles at the moment are Japan exclusive (Since most of the development companies are based there) so the Wii doesn't have many console selling games (Though the ones it does have are extremely worth the $270 dollars) And the PS3, well lets just not talk about that monstrosity.

As for Halo 3, I'm not hating it because it's a bad game or anything, don't get me wrong. Halo 3 isn't a BAD game, it's just, average. I'm tired of these people throwing it perfect scores and saying it's the best game of all time, like it came down on a ray from heaven shitting gold bricks. Everything it's done has been done before and better. Besides the fact that the single player is short but people say it's multiplayer excuses it, but a "perfect scored" game shouldn't need a single thing to "excuse" it.

Ending rant mode now

psz;336445 said:
Tonight is the SpikeTV Video Game Awards.

So, let's predict the following:

The "Dew" one is just "Most Addictive Game"... Damn sponserships. The nominees are located on vga.spiketv.com

What time they on sir?

I find it funny that BioShock got "game of the year," when they list "best PC game" as The Orange Box. Since, y'know, both are available for both the Xbox 360 and PC.

Zyro

Wanderer

Yeah but BioShock wasn't the best PC game of the year, I agree with the outcome of the PC award. BioShock, being the spiritual successor to System Shock 2 (Fantastic game) it had a lot to live up to. In my opinion it was far easier then System Shock 2 and PC gamers tend to have more complex/harder games then console gamers, BioShock was too dumbed down to win the PC game award.

Zyro;337257 said:
Yeah but BioShock wasn't the best PC game of the year, I agree with the outcome of the PC award. BioShock, being the spiritual successor to System Shock 2 (Fantastic game) it had a lot to live up to. In my opinion it was far easier then System Shock 2 and PC gamers tend to have more complex/harder games then console gamers, BioShock was too dumbed down to win the PC game award.
If so, then wouldn't it stand to reason that it wouldn't win overall game of the year, and that award would instead go to a PC game? While being supposedly "dumbed-down" might not hurt on on the Xbox 360, I'd have to think that it'd hurt its chances as overall GotY.

Kowe

Wanderer

I honestly think Microsoft had a hand in there somewhere. Some of the awards just don't add up....

psz

Administrator

My biggest gripe was that only four games were nominated at most for any one topic... Seems to cut a lot out.

Now, most of the people judging the games are from various sites and magazines. That being said, it SHOULD equal a level playing field... Emphasis on SHOULD.

Now, granted, the 360 had more "blockbusters" this year than the rest probably DID "colour" a lot of people's judgement, I can't say that it SHOULD mean that the 360 should win quite as much as it did (if you consider all the games that are on the 360 as well as PS3 and Wii *AND* the exlusives... Hell, MS won all but 3 catergories, in that case :-P)

Zyro

Wanderer

Nottheking;337617 said:
If so, then wouldn't it stand to reason that it wouldn't win overall game of the year, and that award would instead go to a PC game? While being supposedly "dumbed-down" might not hurt on on the Xbox 360, I'd have to think that it'd hurt its chances as overall GotY.

Just because it was dumbed down doesn't mean it can't compete with the other games. In my opinion BioShock was more intelligent then a lot of the games nominated. But I played System Shock 2, and it's far more difficult then BioShock, that's all I'm comparing it too. I'm glad it won GotY, I would have minded Mass Effect winning either, anything but Halo 3

Zyro;337686 said:
Just because it was dumbed down doesn't mean it can't compete with the other games. In my opinion BioShock was more intelligent then a lot of the games nominated. But I played System Shock 2, and it's far more difficult then BioShock, that's all I'm comparing it too. I'm glad it won GotY, I would have minded Mass Effect winning either, anything but Halo 3
That misses the point: if it could "compete with the other games," then how could it best *ALL OF THEM* to be "overall game of the year," yet fail to do so on the PC? You can't be "better than all of them" and have a few things that are exceptions, and STILL be "better than all of them;" that's a pure contradiction.

Zyro

Wanderer

I think the only reason it won GotY was because of the console fanbase, I've talked with a lot of PC gamers who've played it and they say it's pretty good and fun but it doesn't compare to System Shock 2. Another reason I think it lost the PC award was because of Portal in the Orange Box, every single person I've talked to whose played that game LOVES it. Also, Half-Life 2, and what PC gamer doesn't like Half-Life.

Zyro;337725 said:
I think the only reason it won GotY was because of the console fanbase, I've talked with a lot of PC gamers who've played it and they say it's pretty good and fun but it doesn't compare to System Shock 2. Another reason I think it lost the PC award was because of Portal in the Orange Box, every single person I've talked to whose played that game LOVES it. Also, Half-Life 2, and what PC gamer doesn't like Half-Life.
That makes a bit of sense... Though not good sense, unfortunately: it would imply a bit of a bias in favor of the Xbox 360. Since, after all, The Orange Box was readily available on the 360 as well, with all the same components. (including Portal)

Ah well. *sigh*

At least the GOTY list wasn't a COMPLETE travesty; I can't really object to their selections for the most part.

psz

Administrator

Yeah, that's pretty much my take on it: For the most part it made sense, but some things just... Didn't add up.

It would be like if, say, (grabbing randomness here) Madden 08 won best sports, best PC, best Wii, best 360, best PS3 *BUT* not GotY... I just doesn't add up (I know, it's not THAT bad, but you get the idea)

Sidenote: Gotta love Wiki-badness... Immediately following the VGAs, someone posted the winners... With Kane and Lynch as GotY ^_^

(It wasn't even nominated)

Belros

Wanderer

This wont be in this years list but end next year this is going to be an "Epic Classic"

Mount & Blade

Its still in Beta, but its a mix of the best games, in a medievil setting.

psz;338486 said:
No Kane and Lynch there either. Hmm...

Belros;338488 said:
Its still in Beta, but its a mix of the best games, in a medievil setting.
'Tis been in beta for some two years, I'd note... And sadly, "indie" titles pretty much never make it on the list; those are limited to games that can afford to spend at least around $10US million on advertising.

Belros

Wanderer

Nottheking;339019 said:
No Kane and Lynch there either. Hmm...

'Tis been in beta for some two years, I'd note... And sadly, "indie" titles pretty much never make it on the list; those are limited to games that can afford to spend at least around $10US million on advertising.

:( thats a sad sad shame

This Beta puts a lot of games to shame!

And it started off as a project by one guy if I read that right, hence the beta time.

The combat is Fab, I have up to 150 AIs in FP on screen beating the bejezzus out of each other LOL