UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

GUL has arrived on Hybrid!

Adamodious

Wanderer
Hail fellow Guardians,

I have decided it is time put quill to parchment, and to give the Guardians of Undead Lords a brief account of their history.

Many of you already know of my beginnings, but that of our beloved guild? That is another story!

I have kept a complete journal of my life here in Sosaria, and will now share with you GUL’s most humble beginnings.

It was the 1st day April, in the year 2000, when I sent Brother Karimo to the town of my childhood, Jhelom.
It was our intent to purchase a stone, a stone that would hold all the names of our kith and kin, those that would swear to uphold our promise.

When Karimo returned to our home in Skara Brae, we placed the stone in the Corp Por Magic Shop.
Corp Por was a small house converted into a shop, where Karimo and I sold reagents and other magical items, so that we might one day have enough gold to fund our cause.

The day had finally arrived!
I stepped up to the stone and swore an oath to protect the lich in the hopes that one day they might return to the land of the living, and retake their rightful place as the Mystic Council, Council to the Lord of the land.

There was a burning brightness upon the stone, and when it had gone, my name, “Adamodious”, was emblazoned upon it.
Next it was Brother Karimo’s turn. He too swore the sacred oath, and his name appeared upon the stone.

The pact was made, the deed was done.
We were the Guardians of Undead Lords.

Adamodious

Wanderer
A code of conduct and honor
By Adamodious

Hail fellow Guardians,
‘Twas only a matter of time before you were to come to know what my brother and I already know; That Lord British is a murder and can no longer be trusted.

Karimo and I have stayed here in the mountain Wind, offering protection to our father and the other counsel members that seek refuge here.

Many ignorant adventures, in seek of fame and fortune, come here to slaughter the ‘lich’.
They know not the atrocious deed they commit, and many are not old enough to remember the blood-night at Lord British’s castle.

Karimo and I were raised in Lord British’s castle and trained as Virtue Guards. We therefore feel strongly about fighting honorably and treating the slain with a modicum respect.

The sworn oath of the Guardian follows:
  1. No killing newbies. A worthy opponent must be a mage capable of casting 7th level spells or a warrior with GM armor and weapons.
  2. No gang banging; must be 1-on-1, 2-on-2, or at least close, etc..
    An exception to this is where we are taking a dungeon like Deceit and need large numbers of GUL.
  3. Primary duty is to protect the lich. There are many spawn spots around Sosaria. We will all pick one (yes we can over lap.) call this our post, and carry out our duties.
  4. No smack talking or RES killing. Killing and looting is okay, but smack talk will get you yanked from the stone. However, killing a newly resurrected enemy who poses a threat by re-equipping during a battle is a prudent battle tactic.
  5. Role-played as best you can. You don't have to be great at Elizabethan English and even use thee and thou. But play the part and stay within the boundaries of 'protecting the lich' when engaging other players. (Some exceptions are mentioned below.)
    I would love all the members to start taking screen shots and telling their own stories.
  6. The red bandanna law applies across the board. All members will enforce this rule, to the death if need be. You as GUL will also where don the scarf unless you must wear a helm. But even then, when the helm comes off, the scarf goes on. This is the sign of respect for the Great Ones that have gone before us.
  7. GUL members will make a reasonable effort to leave an 'exit pack' on the corpse of the fallen (I will give each of you one of these so you know what is in it.) I know you won't always be able to do this, so in those cases, leave two sets of recall regs or a scroll and one of their runes.
    An Death Pack is described as follows:
    A red dyed backpack that contains a recall rune to a major town, recall scroll or regs, blood dyed scarf (bandanna) and a book. The text of the book can be found at the end of this post.
  8. No blue healing. I was blue healed a couple times and won't do it any more.
  9. While our primary duty is to protect the lich, those that may kill miners or other new or weak players are also subject to out wrath. However in these situations you *must* still leave the death pack.
  10. Short of a connection loss, GUL will never make excuses for loosing a fight. Not for gangbangs, low MANA or STR, etc.
    We are Guardians and pride ourselves on preparedness. If we are not prepared and should die, or die for any other reason, we will accept our defeat graciously.
    While proud, we Guardians also recognize the sometimes-harsh realities of war.
  11. Conflict Resolution:
    Only GUL Elders shall investigate and respond to accusations of behavior unbecoming a Guardian.
    Furthermore, an Elder’s response may include an explanation or clarification of the GUL policy governing such behavior. At no time is a GUL Elder to enter into religious or philosophical debates on the appropriateness of any GUL action.
    GUL Elders are charged with holding prompt, offline discussions and investigations, in the event that a GUL policy may have been breached by a member.
    GUL Elders will then, at their discretion, take the appropriate actions against said member.
    Again, these actions, if any, will be offline and discreet.
    Under no circumstances are Guardians or Initiates to enter into any form of debate about the appropriateness of any GUL action.
  12. Non-GUL characters:
    GUL members may not use their non-GUL characters to work against or interfere with GUL duties, events etc..
    While I understand the dedicated role-player can successfully play both the guild friend and guild foe, not all guild members share this advanced play style and bad feelings are the likely result.
This is what it means to be a Guardian.

Text of the book:
He who hunteth in these caves commiteth a crime of the gravest order,
deserving of death.

I have sworn an oath to protect the once great Mystic Counsel, who, murdered
by Lord British, now walk our lands as the undead lich. Ah, but the lich
have begun to reawaken as the red mages! I shall defend them both with my
very life.

These wizards of old dwell within these caves, which they devoutly believe
to be given to them as their sacred home.

I gladly give my blessing to all that wish to hunt down and deliver unto
death all other creatures of vile and loathsome aspect that dare to walk
these halls. If you would join in the hunt to rid this sacred place of
these foul monsters, you must don a scarf of the color of blood in token of
your respect. If a helm would obscure this garment, a blood drenched sash
may suffice.

If you fail in this regard, and look not upon this magical garment, you will
die swiftly and surely to my hand.

I have given unto you fit means of escape, which I enjoin you to take unto
you and employ. I have marked and designed for your especial use a rune,
and this will bring you at the end of your travels to the great city of
Britain.

May your going be safe and sure, and forget not the lesson you have learned
this day. Blessings upon you.

Adamodious

Wanderer
I wish to clarify the purpose and responsibilities of all GUL.
It is our hallmark to fight fair, 1v1, and to never smack talk, res kill, etc..

However, we don’t run a traveling fight club either.
Your duty as a Guardian is to fight honorably against the hapless heathens that speckle Sosaria. These adventurers are often ignorant about our laws, and are always engaged in their own business which will involve hunting the lich, red mages, or hunting in the surrounding areas without the requisite bandanna.

Under no circumstances do GUL-hunters fit into this category.
You are under absolutely no obligation to ‘duel’ anyone while on duty.
While we fight honorably against hapless heathens, we do not tolerate interruption from GUL hunters that want to disrupt our rounds so that they can get a little free 1v1 on their terms.

So to be clear; as a Guardian you are to follow the guild code of ethics and honor when engaging those adventurers who venture too close to the Undead Lords, or attack them outright. But, you are under no such obligation when faced with those that are out looking for you, the Guardian.

On a final note: killing the newly resurrected is against GUL policy in most circumstances, but be clear on this point; A newly resurrected individual that hops your gate and follows you home should be killed, especially if your intent is to regroup and make plans.
Looting during battle or too soon is also grounds for res killing as is smack talking.

I hope this has made clear GUL policy on the matter.

Adamodious

Wanderer
The following are the laws that govern GUL as a guild.
For the rules governing individuals, please read the GUL Code of Conduct located elsewhere in our library.

The charges of GUL are all variants of Lich, and the Red (evil) mages.
GUL may only carry out their duties in an area where there are lich and or red mages. (You need not be on the same level, if in a dungeon.)
Transference of guildmaster title must be to a GUL elder
Transference of guildmaster title must be agreed by 2/3 vote of the elders.
GUL does not go to war under any circumstances
GUL’s Code of conduct and honor, Ranking system, and Advancing within GUL are all official GUL documents and are the guidelines for all GUL members.
Changes to Code of conduct, Ranking system, Bylaws require 100% approval of guild elders.

The above is intended to make clear GUL’s purpose.
It is these rules called out above, and the guidelines set forth in the Code of Conduct which make GUL a truly great guild.

Without Clarity of Purpose, we have nothing.

Adamodious

Wanderer
The following is a listing of the various positions within GUL. This structure has been set forth to provide all members with a clear understanding of there duties and purpose within the guild. Each rank carries with it a unique and vital roll, with no one position capable of existence with out the other. Advancement with in GUL ranks is possible and should be strived for.

Lord Guardian: (closed title)
This is a special title for Adamodious.
While not commanding troops directly, the Lord Guardian plays an important role as oracle for the guild.

Captain: (there is only one)

[*]The Captain is the leader of the guild.

[*]General guild direction

[*]Ethics maintenance

[*]Creation and assignment of duties for GUL Commanders

[*]Scheduling and running GUL meetings

[*]Issues final approval of promotion or demotions in rank

[*]Act in a manner fitting of a sworn protector of our Undead Lords

[*]The rank must be of at least Guardian and must also be a member of long standing.

[*]This position is one of trust and duty

Commander: (there may be several)

[*]These need to be dedicated and experienced players

[*]Personality should be of that commands respect (mature)

[*]Event organization (dungeon sweeps)

[*]Works closely with Captain regarding advancement of members with in the GUL

Squad Leader: (there is only one)

[*]This will be an experienced PvPer with strong knowledge of group combat.

[*]Organize the enforcers and report to the commanders.

[*]make his or her ICQ available to the GUL membership with the understanding that it is to be used for ‘special need’ only.

Enforcer: (0-30% of GUL membership)

[*]Enforcers will have the primary purpose as defender of the Guardians.

[*]The code of honor for Enforcers is scrutinized even more strictly than it is for Guardians. For this reason, Enforcers are a level above Guardians in rank, yet do not command Guardians. (You must be a Guardian before you become a Enforcer.)

[*]Enforcers will make special efforts to minimize there murder count so as needs arises they can perform there duties without being hindered by stat loss. Because of this Enforces are not expected to take solo patrols for the purpose of guarding the Undead Lords.

Guardian: (there are many)

[*]Assign themselves a post to guard the Undead Lords

[*]Protect there post with Honor and Courage

[*]Whenever possible provide accounts of their dedication to our sacred cause.

Note: the Guardian position is not a low or beginning position, it in fact is what GUL is all about.
To be a Guardian is to have full GUL status and to command all the trust and benefits associated with membership. It is for this reason we have an “Initiate” position.

Initiate:

[*]Has a knowledge of GUL’s code of Conduct and History

[*]Demonstrates an active desire to Guard the Undead Lords

Adamodious

Wanderer
With the expanding notoriety of GUL has come an increase in those who wish to join us in our sacred path. Because of this growth, a system to join and advance within GUL has been put in place. The following is a description of the requirements necessary to become a full GUL member and to be further promoted or demoted.

Players wishing to join GUL will enter as Initiates when the following conditions have been met.

1. Must show a general knowledge of the GUL code of ethics and it’s history
2. Present an account of their knowledge and desire to guard the Undead Lords

Advancement to Guardian status will be granted upon completion of the following tasks.

1. A fundamental ability to perform the tasks of a Guardian, to be tested by the following.
a. Accompanied by a Guardian, Commander or Captain the Initiate will successfully guard our Undead Lords.
b. Through sparring with full ranking members of GUL demonstrate an ability to fight.
c. In victory and defeat act with honor becoming that of a member of GUL

2. The GUL Guild Master Captain and Commanders will review each Initiate,
once all are agreed the Initiate has met the above requirement the initiates will
be granted Guardianship status.

Advancement to Commander status will be based on the following conditions.

1. Need for a new Commander arises.
a. A Commander steps down
b. Growth of the guild is such that more Commanders are needed

2. Guardian wishing advancement has shown an ability and willingness to lead.
3. Approval by the Guild Master Captain and current Commanders.

Advancement to Captain status will be based on the following conditions.

1. Need for a new Captain arises
a. The Captain steps down
b. It is determined by the Guild Master and Commanders that new leadership is needed.

2. Guardian advancing to Captain position will have demonstrated a commitment and ability to fulfill the duties of GUL Captain.
3. Approval of Guild Master and Commanders

It will also be possible no be demoted or removed all together from GUL. We Guardians hold a sacred position in our land and must at all times act in a manner fitting our obligations. Members of any rank who do not abide by the GUL Code of Honor will not be tolerated. Any members who break from the GUL code will have there actions reviewed by the GUL Guild Master Captain and Commanders. Members not following the Code of Honor will either be demoted to Initiate status or removed from the GUL Stone. It will be possible for members demoted to Initiate status to renew there place as Guardian when they have demonstrated through there actions they can protect the Undead Lords with Honor and dedication. Members who are removed from the stone outright will not be considered for readmitance.

Adamodious

Wanderer
If you are interested in joining GUL, please send me a PM here on the forums and I will do a quick review on you. Once you pass the initial review I will get you started as an IUL (Initiate of the Undead Lords).
Only serious interests please, roleplayers only!

Thank you and safe travels.

Torgin.

Sorceror
GUL is a great group of guys. I had the honor of being around back when they were still on Napa Valley and again on Angel Island. They are a lot of fun and some great RPers as well as PvPers. I would highly recommend this group to anyone looking for a good time.