UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

How to "Hack" UO Music

dbesser

Wanderer
How to "Hack" UO Music

If you're tired with the music in UO, or (in my case) tired of having nothing to listen to because you turned the music off, then I think I can help you!

First things first. We need to find the place where UO keeps its music. The default path is:

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Ultima Online\Music\Digital

If this isn't where you put it, use the Search program to find where the Ultima Online folder is, then proceed from there.

OK, so we've found the music, but how do we change it? This is quite simple. Go to the place where your music is stored via new window and find the music files you'd like to hear in-game. Let's say we want to change the music from the town of Moonglow into your music.

Step 1: Copy and paste the music files you want to hear into the Digital folder.

Step 2: Find the Moonglow music file. Mine is "Moonglowpos"

Step 3: Append a (1) to the Moonglow music file. Moonglowpos becomes Moonglowpos(1)

Step 4: Rename your music file to Moonglowpos. Now, every time you step into Moonglow, you will hear your music instead of the Moonglow town anthem.

Notes:
-Some places or actions have multiple music files attached to them. If you only replace one file, your music will only have a random chance of being played until the other music files have been replaced as well. For instance, when you go into War mode, UO has about 3 or 4 different songs (which I will post if asked) that all need to be changed.

-I'm pretty sure that music you want to use has to be in MP3 format

-You can replace music files with as many different combinations of music as you want. For example, If I wanted 3-4 different songs for War mode instead of just the Blood Rave from the first Blade movie, I could put in some Elton John or some other music in addition to the Blood Rave. Then I might hear Blood Rave or Elton John while I'm hitting things.

-Not all places or actions are their namesake. You will have to do some listening and comparing for some places to know which music file theirs is.

Thanks very much for reading this. I hope being able to listen to your own music will make your gaming experience better. Have a very nice day!

MALKOVICH

Wanderer
Re: How to "Hack" UO Music

i have the uo music off... i just listen uo sounds.....

because when i pvp , sometimes the music loops and my client crash....

but always that i listen the uo music, nice memories come back to me.

good guide- i get the uo nestalga too when i hear the old music after re-installing or whatever. The war mode sucks imo

Epileptick

Wanderer

LoL that's awsome. I HATE the war music too...the nostalgia from the reglar music is absolute bliss. Some of my favorite tunes are in UO. This is great dbesser! Now I don't have to turn off the sound every time I go into a dungeon and turn it back on when I leave. Im going to chance war music to the town music I usually don't visit. Because it's such a waste...somtimes I'll shop in deserted towns just for the music. :)

...I hope my rock bandmates never ever hear that post...i'll be shunned. :)
Whatever, I love all music :)

- epi

Indeed, I've replaced over half of the soundtrack in the game, with tracks from the original version, and hence, the older Ultima games. (though I simply added the files, and modified the listing file itself, rather than re-naming the files) It was a painstaking process to get the music, but they are true to the original MIDIs, since they are, in fact, MIDIs outputed to convert them into MP3s. I know there's probably a set of them already out there, but...

The only exception was the "Stones" theme, which I simply clipped from the current "walking" theme, as I liked the sound of that better. And yes, that 50-second track "dragonshi" in dungeons can get rather annoying. The original dungeon theme is much more tolerable. Or at the least, I could tolerate "dragonslo."

Epileptick

Wanderer

I ended up deleting dragonshi forever THANK GOD! :) I replaced all the music I usually hear with music I have never heard in my life. There were some really cool dungeon sounds with monsters gurgling and whatnot and water dripping. I don't know why I have never heard 90% of this stuff, but its deffinately a nice change.

Thanks for the info bro :)

Epileptick said:
I ended up deleting dragonshi forever THANK GOD! :) I replaced all the music I usually hear with music I have never heard in my life. There were some really cool dungeon sounds with monsters gurgling and whatnot and water dripping. I don't know why I have never heard 90% of this stuff, but its deffinately a nice change.

Thanks for the info bro :)
Those tracks, that are found in the UO music directory? Those, if you might guess by the creation date, were made for Mondain's Legacy. They're for that elf world. (whatever the heck it's called) Hence, because almost none of that expansion is yet implemented on Demise, you don't hear any of it, just as, for instance, you won't hear the Tokuno music if you never visit Tokuno.

Guarany

Wanderer

Only one music of UO i really love, and unhappy this music had been removed from the news clients, is the music of the olds clients (2.0.x...) when i join in this topic, i thinking that u guys discover some way to get this music from this client... but not :\! someone know how to get this music? is very simples, like "tanranrannn tan tan .. ranran tan tan ranran..." something like this...
someone remember?

clutch

Wanderer

wow i did this. before i used to play uo without any music because... well... the original uo music while not terrible... just not something i could listen to for hours on end. i replaced all the uo music with music from neverwinter nights, which IMO has great music... and it goes amazingly with uo.

ChiDoe

Wanderer

Guarany said:
Only one music of UO i really love, and unhappy this music had been removed from the news clients, is the music of the olds clients (2.0.x...) when i join in this topic, i thinking that u guys discover some way to get this music from this client... but not :\! someone know how to get this music? is very simples, like "tanranrannn tan tan .. ranran tan tan ranran..." something like this...
someone remember?

It's still there. It's called Walking.mp3 in the UO music folder. But it's bundled up with another song, so the part that you're refering to is about 3 minutes into that song. Also, it should play outside of the Wrong dungeon area.

Well, I believe that the original Ultima Online musics are around on the Internet somewhere... Though, since the game was released in 1997, they're in MIDI form. (.MP3 music didn't gain popularity until around 2000-2001, when CPUs could easily handle the cost of decoding them) The UO tracks I use were done by using a tool to convert the MIDIs to WAV files. (which were subsequently compressed into .MP3 files)
Ranul said:
It's still there. It's called Walking.mp3 in the UO music folder. But it's bundled up with another song, so the part that you're refering to is about 3 minutes into that song. Also, it should play outside of the Wrong dungeon area.
Practically the words right out of my mouth. In my opinion, it beats the older version, which is odd.

Velius Nox

Sorceror

I can't get this to work for the life of me.Have both 2d and 3d installed on mycomp.But I have several music files under myUO music
digital,512k & 4mb
tried it in the digital and no luck.Even deleted the old tracks completely and there stillplaying.Strange.Any tips anyone?

Elegy of Icaros said:
I can't get this to work for the life of me.Have both 2d and 3d installed on mycomp.But I have several music files under myUO music
digital,512k & 4mb
tried it in the digital and no luck.Even deleted the old tracks completely and there stillplaying.Strange.Any tips anyone?
Did you check to make sure that the contents of the Config.ini file, in the music/digital folder, points to the right files? It shouldn't matter which client you use, since a default instalation brings both, and they use the same music directory.

However, that shouldn't be necessary; provided that you've gotten new music files, and replaced the old ones with them, they should work; you merely need to delete the old musics, and rename the new ones to match the names of the old ones; as mentioned, "moonglowpos.mp3" is the file it plays when you go to Moonglow.

For the love of hell post this in General and ask someone to give it a sticky its been posted on so many times

Nevermind I figured em all out...

just for other's reference, they are:

Humanoids.mp3
Goodevil.mp3
Gargoyles.mp3

I'm pretty sure those are the only three. I don't get any other UO music anymore... instead I get:

My Hero - The Foo Fighters
Hero - Chag Kroeger & Josey Scott (with Jeremy Taggart as Drummer! - My Favourite Drummer! haha)
Final Fantasy 8 Battle Music

Also....

Victory.mp3 is now the Final Fantasy 7 Victory music and when I go to Umbra and Luna I hear Cosmo Canyon music.

sweeeeeeeet.