UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

HOWTO: UO + Razor on Linux

HOWTO: UO + Razor on Linux

Hello everybody!
I'm posting this because I have found very few information on Internet, so let's go on.

UO in Linux works fine with Wine, the real pain is Razor because it's a too much Windows-compliant program, but, after some tentatives, I reached to get it work under Wine.

So, first thing, do not install .net framework 2.0 on linux! Instead, you will use Winetricks to do that. But let's start from the beginning:

- Install Wine (with synaptic, apt-get, emerge, installpkg, building from source... it depends by your favourite distribution)

- Also install Cabextract, you will need it.

- Open a terminal and launch these as user:

wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks

this to get Winetricks (is a script file). Then

sh winetricks corefonts vcrun6

accept Microsoft EULA and complete installation. Then:

sh winetricks dotnet20

When you have done this, you have prepared what you need.

Now you can download and/or install UO client and let it update.
After this, you can install Razor.

----to also Windows users---

Maybe at this point you want to copy the Razor/Profiles and Razor/Macro directory in your new installation (should be /home/user/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Razor).
Same thing for UO/Desktop folder, to keep settings you have done in Windows.

--------------------------------

Well, we are ready! Point Razor to Demise and this will be what you get: (my installation on Ubuntu Hardy with KDE 4.1)

However, there are some issues, all related to Razor:

- You can't edit the "Port" field. If you want to connect to other servers rather than UOG and OSI, you have to: (tnx Blacula)

launch this in a terminal:

wine regedit

Then edit the key in HKLM_CURRENT_USER --> Software --> Razor --> Last server and type everything you want (i.e. blahblahblah)
I'm not joking! Then, return to Razor and you have blank field in Server Adress and Server Port. Now you can write everything you want!

Keep in mind if you want to use another shard, different than first and not included in Razor list, first you have to select the shard you added, then you can change server address and port (other shards, as in Windows, will be added in Razor list)

- Troubles with "Always on Top" function, and this is really evident when you will open Razor map (aka UO Positioning System)

- it seems hotkeys will not work if they are set with a combination of keys (i.e. CTRL+X, ALT+4,...). In UO you have no response, where in Razor you have "unhandled exception" error. A workaround from Honeyspider is to set them with only one key:
As of the hotkeys problem, it is indeed a pain. I remade my profiles to use only plain keys (with no alt/ctrl/shift modifier, e.g. F1, W, Q etc) with an "Enable/Disable Hotkeys." This way they work fine and I'm getting used to it. The modifiers still work for macros made in UO options, though.

- Surely other bugs I have not seen :rolleyes:

A little thing UO-related is that mouse feel looks like not very good as in Windows, but I think it's all about Wine configurations.
---CONCLUSION---

Razor is maybe not the best program to run on Linux, but it's always a good start for who wants to use Linux or has only Linux, isn't it? :cool:

Obviously, if you have comments/requests/suggestions, please post here!

DROGADICTO

Sorceror
Re: HOWTO: UO + Razor on Linux

Have you tried this on Debian too or just Ubuntu?

The reason I am asking is cause I got Debian installed here, and I prefer it over Ubuntu, but I am not sure if it's going to work and I have little experience with Linux.

I have tried on Ubuntu, but it should work with all distros. Expecially with Debian, because Ubuntu is Debian-based.

So, if you have Debian, install Wine via synaptic, apt-get, aptitude... yes it's same as Ubuntu :)
Then continue following instructions (should be valid for every distro)

psz

Administrator

One thing to remember about ALL flavours of Linux:

It's opensource... Short of some REALLY old bins, it generally works across the board. (RE: AOUT vs Elf)

psz;451737 said:
One thing to remember about ALL flavours of Linux:

It's opensource... Short of some REALLY old bins, it generally works across the board. (RE: AOUT vs Elf)

Yes, but this will not mean you have to run only opensource applications.
There are also applications/programs/games for Linux and distributed with other licences rather than GNU/GPL (or only partially with GPL).

Example: Crossover Office, Cedega, ... well now I remember only games: all ID titles (quake 2-3-4, doom 3...), Unreal Tournament, Neverwinter Nights, Toribash, etc.

It's not necessary to have at all cost an opensource program to manage UO. Releasing the source code is good if you want to develop an application easily, to design it for people needings and to keep it mantained for a long time, but it's not good if you want to prevent forks (versions different to the original project, especially if they are to cheat in UO).

Saying that, it could be good if EA releases UO also for UNIX systems (Linux, BSD and also Mac if I'm not wrong) and if some application like Razor could be developed for UNIX systems natively...

... oh, I'm going OT :p

Anyway, great conquest for Wine developers if it can run also a real windows-compliant application like Razor :)

(I'd very pleased if UOAM is released under GPL, but the author doesn't want to release the source...)

psz

Administrator

Razor's problem isn't Wine... It's .Net/Mono.

If/When Wine's devs get *REAL* .Net support, it shouldn't be a problem.

psz;452011 said:
Razor's problem isn't Wine... It's .Net/Mono.

If/When Wine's devs get *REAL* .Net support, it shouldn't be a problem.

Will Microsoft be happy? :p

Blacula

Knight

Yeah I went through all this months ago, and the only REAL problems I've had are no Alt+<hotkey> combinations at all, and sometimes when I flick my mouse wheel too fast it disconnects me, which kind of pisses me off. I also haven't gotten UOAM to work correctly in linux, as it disconnects me all the time too. *sigh*

P.S.: If you want to connect to non-UOG servers with Razor on Linux (as there is a bug where the port field isn't editable), do:

#wine regedit.exe

Then edit the key in HKLM (I think) under 'software' and 'razor' that says 'last server' and just type in the server info you want, and it will make the field editable so you can connect to any server you want.

Niiiiice.

I don't use Linux, but thanks daedalus, have seen many people asking about this.

Could some moderator sticky this one? Its a pretty valuable info that a wide range of people dont want to see lost on the forums. Else im just gonna bump it forevar!!!!

Callow

Wanderer

Worked great for getting Razor to work. Upon trying to connect I'm told that it can't contact EA's servers though. Any thoughts? EDIT: I'm an idiot. Changed the Login.cfg file and it works perfectly. Just for reference, I'm running Arch Linux.

Blacula;452120 said:
P.S.: If you want to connect to non-UOG servers with Razor on Linux (as there is a bug where the port field isn't editable), do:

Thank you for your solution, I have just verified and added in the first post of this thread :)

Blacula;452120 said:
and sometimes when I flick my mouse wheel too fast it disconnects me, which kind of pisses me off

About disconnections... I have tried to move the mouse wheel at light-speed and to push all possible buttons, but I haven't got a connection lost. Have you a hotkey that use mouse wheel?
But I got disconnected when trying another shard while testing your hint (my or their fault? :) )
I will investigate it further.

Ageless Venomous;452161 said:
Niiiiice.

I don't use Linux, but thanks daedalus, have seen many people asking about this.

Could some moderator sticky this one? Its a pretty valuable info that a wide range of people dont want to see lost on the forums. Else im just gonna bump it forevar!!!!

Thank you for your feedback!
About sticking... I think first I have to polish better this "guide", and also to extend to other programs rather than Razor.

Even if I have talked about UOAssist, I haven't seen it into allowed 3rd-party programs, so I (or better, "we" ;) ) have to try and post results for these programs:

UO (works :p )
Razor (already did)
ConnectUO
UOGateway (we have to? It's a very old program and no longer mantained, right? And it requires old UO versions if I'm not wrong)
UOAM (works, see below)

Any other programs? :eek:

Callow;452242 said:
Worked great for getting Razor to work. Upon trying to connect I'm told that it can't contact EA's servers though. Any thoughts? EDIT: I'm an idiot. Changed the Login.cfg file and it works perfectly. Just for reference, I'm running Arch Linux.

I have not understood... had you to modify Login.cfg (in UO folder) to use OSI servers? I have tried but it seems it's unnecessary... altough my test is incomplete because I have not a OSI account :p

It is possible to change thread title? I wish to change it in "HOWTO: UO + Demise allowed programs on Linux", because I have did another great discovery!

for the series HOWTO: :D

How to use UOAM in Linux

UOAM works well under Wine, the matter is UpdateAce that makes Wine crash.
Now, I don't know if it is because a component is missing or something else, but follow this workaround and all will go ok!

So, you can't update UOAM and you can't get required files... you have to put them manually. You can follow 2 roads:

a) All-by-self method:

go in Windows and start UOAM. Then, go in map settings and drag ALL sliders to "Faster". Do this for ALL maps.
This will create many bitmap files for maps.
After this, copy the whole directory and paste it in Linux (where you want, /home/user/, /home/user/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/....)

NOTE: maybe it's not necessary, someone could test by copying only uoam.exe? Thanks :)

b) with-some-aid method:

Have you got only Linux? Don't you have a virtual machine to run Windows? Are you just too lazy to do that?
Well, you can download my UOAM directory here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YMK89QFR

Extract it where you want. (NOTE: this zip file has "New Haven" modified maps, even if I can't see it in UOAM)

Now that you have the complete UOAM folder in Linux, open a terminal, reach the UOAM destination, and type:

wine uoam.exe -q

This will put UOAM in "quick" launch and will not run UpdateAce.

enjoy :) Calibration also works!

NOTES:

After some runnings, UOAM will tell you to set performances for your maps. At this point, it will notice you have "modified" maps and you need to rebuild them.
Don't worry, do your settings and be happy ;)

Blacula;452120 said:
I also haven't gotten UOAM to work correctly in linux, as it disconnects me all the time too. *sigh*

I'm running all around with UOAM on and I don't have any problem.

Hmmm...

/OT mode on

How's your web surfing? Sometimes, ISP did mistakes in their modems-routers (assuming you have a ISP-provided modem-router) with some parameters (such as MTU), which Windows can correct automatically or ignore, while Linux not. In Italy is so :p

A workaround I have is:
copy and paste these lines in a file (create a script, for example myfile.sh)

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

then, go in the terminal and run:

sh myfile.sh

You don't need to reboot, nor to close and reopen programs.
Let me see if this will help you.

So, only ConnectUO remains...

No luck this time, it will try to load, then crash. Its last 3 lines:

fixme:thread:NtQueryInformationThread info class 9 not supported yet
fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PROCESSOR_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
wine: Unhandled exception 0xe0434f4d at address 0x7b844b20 (thread 0032), starting debugger...
Can't attach process 003a: error 5

ConnectUO is, as Razor, a .Net Framework 2.0 developed application, not fully supported by Wine.

After I have described all allowed Demise programs in Linux, looks like Razor is the only way to play UO. But without hotkeys for now.

honeyspider

Wanderer

Woo, cool.

I didn't see this guide and almost posted another one.

Try to use the latest wine version, instead of the one in the repos, it might fix a few issues...
As of the hotkeys problem, it is indeed a pain. I remade my profiles to use only plain keys (with no alt/ctrl/shift modifier, e.g. F1, W, Q etc) with an "Enable/Disable Hotkeys." This way they work fine and I'm getting used to it. The modifiers still work for macros made in UO options, though. It's a bug being worked on: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5623

You forgot to mention that winetricks requires "cabextract" to work. It can be downloaded from any repository.

Razor's UO Positioning Tool is broken. It used to open and only bug when I changed focus, but it suddenly stopped working at all. =/

Did you get the display counters on the titlebar to work?

Other than that, it runs perfectly.
Plus the added coolness if you use compiz.

honeyspider;462086 said:
Woo, cool.

I didn't see this guide and almost posted another one.
Well, thanks for your feedback!
honeyspider;462086 said:
Try to use the latest wine version, instead of the one in the repos, it might fix a few issues...
When I have time I'll do that. Have you already did it? Could you please describe what is fixed?
honeyspider;462086 said:
As of the hotkeys problem, it is indeed a pain. I remade my profiles to use only plain keys (with no alt/ctrl/shift modifier, e.g. F1, W, Q etc) with an "Enable/Disable Hotkeys." This way they work fine and I'm getting used to it. The modifiers still work for macros made in UO options, though. It's a bug being worked on: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5623
Thanks for the notice and for the reference! I will add it to main post.
honeyspider;462086 said:
You forgot to mention that winetricks requires "cabextract" to work. It can be downloaded from any repository.
I don't remember if I found it installed in my machine during dependencies resolving or for another reason. In the doubt I'm going to add this too :)
honeyspider;462086 said:
Razor's UO Positioning Tool is broken. It used to open and only bug when I changed focus, but it suddenly stopped working at all. =/
Really? Can you describe how much time is needed to see this?
I let my char running around for 15 minutes and teleporting and moongating, and my UO positioning tool worked flawlessly.
The only issue is that wants to be "always on top" and this is a big nuisance.
honeyspider;462086 said:
Did you get the display counters on the titlebar to work?
Nope, simply it doesn't appear to me :(
honeyspider;462086 said:
Other than that, it runs perfectly.
Plus the added coolness if you use compiz.

I tried to do it for a screenshot :p
but I have got many focus problems and sometimes my UO window disappeared while Razor was still running.
Well, I have to say I'm on ATI fglrx driver. Maybe another driver will let compiz run better.

honeyspider;462595 said:
BTW, I don't crash when I get close to that Luna house near the Runes Galore...

Neither :)

honeyspider

Wanderer

osd_daedalus;463584 said:
When I have time I'll do that. Have you already did it? Could you please describe what is fixed?
hmm I did it... Not sure what got fixed since I installed it on 1.1.5 already.

I don't remember if I found it installed in my machine during dependencies resolving or for another reason. In the doubt I'm going to add this too :)

It was necessary to extract the .cab files from dotnet20 installation

Really? Can you describe how much time is needed to see this?
I let my char running around for 15 minutes and teleporting and moongating, and my UO positioning tool worked flawlessly.
The only issue is that wants to be "always on top" and this is a big nuisance.
I have a hotkey to show/hide map window... I used it to see my guildies position, then closed the map window, to avoid the focus problems (that messes up the target input). And eventually after hiding it I couldn't show it anymore

I tried to do it for a screenshot :p
but I have got many focus problems and sometimes my UO window disappeared while Razor was still running.
Well, I have to say I'm on ATI fglrx driver. Maybe another driver will let compiz run better.
Hmm, you could try to update your wine too. That looks like a wine problem, doesn't it? It works nice here. (nvidia)

Took a few screenies to fill this topic with colors:

View attachment 9680
UO and misc workspace

View attachment 9681
Multi-UOing inside the cube

View attachment 9682
Multi-UOing outside the cube

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    517.7 KB · Views: 181
  • Screenshot-1.png
    Screenshot-1.png
    1 MB · Views: 182
  • Screenshot-2.png
    Screenshot-2.png
    555.4 KB · Views: 183

honeyspider;463628 said:
Took a few screenies to fill this topic with colors:

niiiice :) But what about a background?
Well, the problem about me wasn't wine, but kde4. Did this with kde3:

And this conumes less RAM than you could imagine (unless you already know :p)

onykage

Wanderer

Once upon a time, i found a .net package that worked great on sourceforge, but i dont remember its name, and ive looked all over sourceforge for the rpm/src and have been unlucky. I wish i would have bookmarked that page now =/.