UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Make UO Faster?!?

Trashcan77

Sorceror
Make UO Faster?!?

Processor = Pentium 3 - 731 mhtz
256k RAM
Graphics Card = Geforce FX 5700 128MB

is my shit 2 slow or what can i do to make uo run faster ?!?
i cant outrun anyone

Gankis Khan

Sorceror
Re: Make UO Faster?!?

You can start by buying a new PC. Pentium 3 belongs in the trash barrel. Another thing you might need to check is your internet connection. The closer you are to the server, the better.

i feel that. i run on a 1.6 ghz lap top w/ 640 megabytes of ran which doesn't sound so bad except for the fact that i'm stuck with a 32 megabyte videocard...

As old as the game is I doubt it is the computer. It depends on how far away you are from the server [it being in Texas], your type of internet connection, and whether or not you have a dozen other programs in the background eating up your RAM. You might have viruses/spyware slowing you down as well. Shut down what doesn't need to be running to get better computer performance.

Go to -> "run" and type in "msconfig" and shut down what doesn't need to be operational.

Mythia Jhengli;1443962 said:
As old as the game is I doubt it is the computer. It depends on how far away you are from the server [it being in Texas], your type of internet connection, and whether or not you have a dozen other programs in the background eating up your RAM. You might have viruses/spyware slowing you down as well. Shut down what doesn't need to be running to get better computer performance.

Go to -> "run" and type in "msconfig" and shut down what doesn't need to be operational.

what would be the benefit in typing "msconfig" over just opening your task manager? just curious...

Edward

Retired Hybrid Game Master

In the task manager try setting the uo process to a higher priority than normal by right clicking the client in the process menu

THE REIGN

Wanderer

I'm gonna try that when I get home...

I played on UOG:H from a University internet connection here in australia.. and it felt like I was running around on the OSI oceania server?! I was running @ server speed with NO lag at all. When I play from home I can definitely feel the difference between the two, but the pings were relatively the same. Anyone know what the difference might be between my connection and the university connection?

Would kill to have that connection @ home.

Trashcan77

Sorceror

yea i live in rosenberg TX and i have a cable connection thats why i didnt think it had anything to do with that i have nothing selected in msconfig and only run uo its not that i ever lag real bad but my guy just doesnt run at the same speed as everyone else for some reason when pking / running from its a big disadvantage

Stides40oz

Knight

Regardless of what people say (ie. this game is old ur computer should run it fine) is wrong. With the constant patching this game gets it also gains more content and gets harder on ur computer. A better computer definately makes u run faster especially around deep housing areas

Stides;1444737 said:
Regardless of what people say (ie. this game is old ur computer should run it fine) is wrong. With the constant patching this game gets it also gains more content and gets harder on ur computer. A better computer definately makes u run faster especially around deep housing areas
Not true. Many games patch constantly, but that doesn't mean you run less effectively every time that happens. I can run multi-clients on my brand new laptop with the same ping as my six year old Toshiba laptop that has all original factory parts, including the same 32MB integrated graphics card. I do not notice a difference in how well I run on either.

If that were the case then Guild Wars [same idea, but much, much better graphics] would run choppier as more content is added, or even WoW since that is seamless unlike Guild Wars. Neither are effected as I download patches on this laptop or my older one. They run the nearly the same.

Personally I think UOG is a cpu hog. It builds and builds till you have to reset it. At least it does with me. I run another mmo and it never does that and less lag.

lawlbawl

Wanderer

Getting more RAM Could help you. I have two seperate gig sticks of ram for my computer. I also have Ultima set as a top priority, and I ping around 30-50 due to my fast internet connection. Its mostly based on your internet connection tho. If you are above 100 your going to run slower than normal.

Try going into the uo options, and under the eyeball thing enable frame skipping. I did this on my computer (almost identical to yours) and i notice a huge difference i how fast I go in game, it just takes a while to get used to.

AragornUO

Wanderer

A nice computer defiantly makes a difference.

I got a piece of crap 2.4Cel, 256mb ram and a on board graphics card, my brother runs a 3500+, 1gig ram, and a half decent video card and trust me u can see the difference. When i run through Brit bank or some other place populated i will lag and "walk" but my brother's comp will be able to straight through with no drama's.

Raf

Wanderer

Back in the days I used to play UO on a 166 pentium with 64 ram... (1999 omg thats a fuckin long time ago)
Ill give ya all the tips that should make UO run faster!
On ur computer:
Install and run hitmanpro to remove all the spyware from ur comp
Defrag ur harddrives
Buy more ram (its cheap and u can never have enough ram!!!)
Turn off ur virusscanner
Open ur task manager and shut down everything u dont need running
Maybe reinstall windows... The average life span of a windows operating system is about 4 months. After that it starts running slower and slower and slower....

In UO options:
Turn off the game music
Turn off colored lightning
Turn on frame skipping
Turn up the houses in the cache

In UO razor:
Turn off the weather
Turn off the light effects
Turn off every other sound u dont wanna hear

I hope this helps

Stides40oz

Knight

Mythia Jhengli;1444749 said:
Not true. Many games patch constantly, but that doesn't mean you run less effectively every time that happens. I can run multi-clients on my brand new laptop with the same ping as my six year old Toshiba laptop that has all original factory parts, including the same 32MB integrated graphics card. I do not notice a difference in how well I run on either.

If that were the case then Guild Wars [same idea, but much, much better graphics] would run choppier as more content is added, or even WoW since that is seamless unlike Guild Wars. Neither are effected as I download patches on this laptop or my older one. They run the nearly the same.

Ping has nothing to do with computer hardware speed. You could ping 50 to uogamers on a pentium 1. Its when u start moving and your computer has to render everything it sees is where you slow down.

The newer uo clients are much more processor intense then the older patches. Try using client 3.x.x compared to 5.x.x and tell me you dont run faster through houses or any other processor intense locations.

And f you dont think you run faster through laggy areas on a top of the line computer compared to a shitty one youre just being ignorant.