UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Newsweek poll: Americans believe in God, reject evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newsweek poll: Americans believe in God, reject evolution

By Brian Braiker
Newsweek

March 30, 2007 - A belief in God and an identification with an organized religion are widespread throughout the country, according to the latest NEWSWEEK poll. Nine in 10 (91 percent) of American adults say they believe in God and almost as many (87 percent) say they identify with a specific religion. Christians far outnumber members of any other faith in the country, with 82 percent of the poll’s respondents identifying themselves as such. Another 5 percent say they follow a non-Christian faith, such as Judaism or Islam. Nearly half (48 percent) of the public rejects the scientific theory of evolution; one-third (34 percent) of college graduates say they accept the Biblical account of creation as fact. Seventy-three percent of Evangelical Protestants say they believe that God created humans in their present form within the last 10,000 years; 39 percent of non-Evangelical Protestants and 41 percent of Catholics agree with that view.

Although one in ten (10 percent) of Americans identify themselves as having "no religion," only six percent said they don’t believe in a God at all. Just 3 percent of the public self-identifies as atheist, suggesting that the term may carry some stigma. Still, the poll suggests that the public’s tolerance of this small minority has increased in recent years. Nearly half (47 percent) of the respondents felt the country is more accepting of atheists today that it used to be and slightly more (49 percent) reported personally knowing an atheist. Those numbers are higher among respondents under 30 years old, 62 percent of whom report knowing an atheist (compared to just 43 percent of those 50 and older). Sixty-one percent of the under-30 cohort view society as more accepting of atheists (compared to 40 percent of the Americans 50 and older).

link... story continued

kio123

Knight
Re: Newsweek poll: Americans believe in God, reject evolution

9 out of 10 words of people is a lie

Fedorov

Knight

wow thats pretty bad... i knew the numbers were high, but those numbers are staggering

I believe both. We evolved from apes, but with a little helping hand. : D Though I have no real religion and have only ever been to church once to make our grandma happy.

r33n

Knight

Believe in whatever you want to believe in.

You are your own person, don't believe in something because people tell you that you should. Be a human. Research and adapt to new stimuli that you encounter.
There are answers out there for anyone that wants to find them. I am not religious at all, and I don't feel the need to believe something because a majority do. My ethics / morals are pretty damn solid and I didn't need to read an ancient piece of literature to get them.

I am drunk. Holler.

kio123

Knight

r33n;1314651 said:

You are your own person, don't believe in something because people tell you that you should. Be a human. Research and adapt to new stimuli that you encounter.
There are answers out there for anyone that wants to find them. I am not religious at all, and I don't feel the need to believe something because a majority do. My ethics / morals are pretty damn solid and I didn't need to read an ancient piece of literature to get them.

I am drunk. Holler.

typical 85er
i agree tho dont get me wrong

welkopole

Sorceror

kio123;1314615 said:
9 out of 10 words of people is a lie

r33n;1314651 said:

I am drunk. Holler.

i actually agree... i believe some parts of my religion but not all of them... actually i believe in god but not as him being up the clouds in human shape... its more like a supreme power to me or something... also i believe in reincarnation as in you get reborned as something else after your life accourding to what you have done in this life.

Christians far outnumber members of any other faith in the country, with 82 percent of the poll’s respondents identifying themselves as such.

the more i think about this poll the more i question it...

i was thinking today about how many actual christians i know or christians who attend church on a weekly basis

82% of this country identifying themselves as christians just doesnt seem right

Seventy-three percent of Evangelical Protestants say they believe that God created humans in their present form within the last 10,000 years; 39 percent of non-Evangelical Protestants and 41 percent of Catholics agree with that view.

i have no problem with religion but i sure as hell have a problem with the church and a lot of the people who run them

this is just plain and utter ignorance which is something that is way too rampant and promoted in these establishments

"god help us"

Mikee_gee

Wanderer

If we evolved from monkeys, God made monkeys too.So they can be both right.

D

Darkness

I am not religious. For me, religion is a weird concept. You have to believe in something that can never be proven and it is used to excuse a lot of stuff. I prefer logic and science to explain how things work, even if not all things can be answered that way.

Darkness;1315513 said:
I am not religious. For me, religion is a weird concept. You have to believe in something that can never be proven and it is used to excuse a lot of stuff. I prefer logic and science to explain how things work, even if not all things can be answered that way.

If you don't believe in a God at all, only science, then you are Aethiest my friend.

plenty of room for God with evolution. anything is possible. we're here, right?

i just cant believe that there is nothing after our life... because its simply weird to know that we live for absolutely no reason. why would we live if there is nothing after? How do we live? We cant be simply meat and bones... we got a soul since people that die are still the same but their soul leaves, therefore there just must be something after what we live now...

Vigesimation

Wanderer

I always find there is a conotation with believing in God that you have to like him. At least nowadays that's the way it is... It used to be a deterant because you didn't want to feel the wrath of God, now it's more of a skape goat to get away from things you've done by repenting your sins.

I have a hard time believing that something came from nothing, so God makes as much sense as that. So if i do believe in him/her/it it's that it doesn't really care and the only reason it exists was to create the universe in the first place.

Leviticus

Wanderer

Being a Physics/Chem Major I believe that science lets us better understand the universe around us, however i also believe in that the unknown which is what we do not know such as the beginning of the universe and what not is an unknown force which call it whatever you want god , allah, etc. and this force laid the fundamental principles that our universe is guided by. That science piece by piece allows us to understand the mechanics of the universe and bring us closer to a time when we will understand how it began maybe. I do not not believe in some sort of humanistic god I believe the universe is far to great and expansive to attribute our notions of some supreme force on our little rock in the vastness of space. I think whatever it is is so great we cannot even begin to imagine it.

As far as christians or any religious people I know I get along great with. Family or some of my friends and we can discuss things and have fun debating.
Religion does not hurt anyone when it is taught as a way to do good and be good. It is like a gun, good people don't your anyone with a gun only bad people do. Religion can be twisted by those bad and used to hurt people.

Saikron

Wanderer

Saikron reports that at least 20% of respondents who call themselves Christian just put that because that's what their parents are but barely give a fleeting thought to god, and that's at football games and battlefields.

Status
Not open for further replies.