UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Out of Memory error on starting game?

Out of Memory error on starting game?

After waiting for two days (on diaup) for Age of Shadows to patch, I decided to once again try to install and run the Mondain's Legacy version of Ultima Online which comes with the 9th. Anniversary Collection. It patched beautifully, but now I have a new problem: whenever I go to run the game, it's giving me an Out of Memory error even though I have more than enough memory to run the game. Any ideas as to what might be causing this? I tried everything I could think of from doubling my virtual memory to closing all background tasks, but still I get the error. My computer exceeds all the system requirements for the game, as well, and I have 7626MB of free space on my hard drive after install, plus I've raised my free virtual memory all the way up to 23015MB free, which was tricky to say the least. This only seems to happen with Mondain's Legacy, so I'm at an impass here: I can run Age of Shadows, but can't patch it... while I can patch Mondain's Legacy... but it won't run because of this Out of Memory error. So, if anyone knows how to get Mondain's Legacy to run without this odd message, please let me know. I'm fresh out of ideas, myself, and when I called EA they didn't seem to have any idea as to what I was talking about.

Cebrious Arcane

Forum Murderer
Re: Out of Memory error on starting game?

Haha, I can't believe you actually called EA. Bravo.

If I were you, I would just download the free trial version of UO. You can use that to patch all the way up, then download and install Razor. That is a UO assistant program that you can use for logging in and connecting to UOG servers.

Once you're all patched up with the trial version and have installed Razor, you can connect to UOG: Hybrid. Also, check some of the stickies here and make sure you have all the other necessary software installed, like Microsoft's .NET Framework.

edit: Here's a great post with all the necessary files and where to find them: Thanks Drakrum!

Basically, my modem can push downloading 90 + MB in size, but when it gets into the 100's and up it tends to take days to download, and since I'm on AOL, which requires someone who's online to stay active online or it logs you off, it would be impossible to start a download of 700 MB and leave it to run for too many hours. (While online, I can leave the computer for tops 45 minutes or so while inactive. This doesn't seem to happen when patching, so I suppose that AOL considers patching to be some kind of activity but download not. Funny!)
I checked out the download link for the trial version and it seems to be 700 + MB in size. My downloader said it would take over 43 hours to downlaod, so I would have the same problem there as I would patching Age of Shadows. It's just too big for my dialup modem to handle. That was why I was asking about the Out of Memory error with the retail version of Mondain's Legacy and how to overcome it. I was wondering something... is it possible to patch up to a point, take a break, and resume patching later; or does a patch have to run to the end once it starts? For instance: once you get to, say, version 4.0.11f and so forth, can you log off and resume downloading the patch from that version on, or does it start you over again from scratch? This... plus that "Out of Memory" issue, are my primary matters of curiosity and concern. As to having called EA with my questions: gods, what a pain that was!!! Lol.

Jayooo

Wanderer

out of memory has to do with your computer, running so many programs uses virtual memory, im not near no expert on it so i have no idea what more to say but that much i do know

lol @ calling EA though, they probably had no idea what you meant

So, how much free space does Mondain's Legacy require at startup, compared to Age of Shadows? Currently, I have approximately 7583MB Hard Drive space freed up, not counting the 22976MB of Virtual Memory I have freed up.

Jayooo

Wanderer

thats where my knowledge ends i really am not sure how you can avoid this problem, have you tried freshly restarting your computer then installing first thing before anything else?

also does your computer on start-up open like 2187432985794 programs?
you know what i mean
thats a horrible thing to have, i got my computer starting up with the minimum programs needed and it runs beautifully, sometimes thats main reasons peoples comps run slow, at least slower then they would, obviously spyware plays a big role

Sounds like you have too many programs sucking up your RAM. Close a lot of them in the lower right-hand corner that don't need to be running. Then, run only the download and just let it sit there. When you're low on computer resources you'll start getting errors like that. I suggest restarting, closing anything that does not need to be open, then starting the download.

Cebrious Arcane

Forum Murderer

Did you run spyware? Are you sure all that memory is actually unused?

The game itself is oldschool so a modern comp shouldn't have much of a problem running it.

Yes, I've restarted my computer and reinstalled the game. Several times now, actually. And no, my computer opens no programs at startup at all, it just goes to my desktop and waits for me to run a program. My mouse pointer and my SystemTray are the only startup programs I have enabled and they don't open anything up whatsoever. That's what makes this error so bizarre. What's even weirder, is the results of a test I performed: when I clicked on client.exe offline, just to see what it would do, it ran the intro movie and tried to start the game.
No Out of Memory errors whatsoever! But... when I logged online, and clicked the same icon, it gave me the Out of Memory message and wouldn't start. So, it's somehow related to going online... I would think... but as to what could be causing it, I have no idea! As I said, only Mondain's Legacy does this, leaving me to wonder what the difference between it and Age of Shadows is, start-up wise. (Must be a HUGE difference, too!) It seems to be mis-reporting my actual memory and coming up with that I have less than I do. (This is the only version of Ultima Online I've ever encountered this issue with). Beyond that, I know not a thing about the problem or any potential solutions for it.

If it is only doing it with Mondain's Legacy, could you use a differnet CD? Say, UO:R or something older that may be smaller in size?

Also, I've no spyware in my comp. I have a spyware-removal utility that zaps any spyware or viruses. As to downlaods, they work fine, as do patches. It's just going to actually play Mondain's Legacy that seems to cause the error I'm getting.

Mythia Jhengli;1325887 said:
If it is only doing it with Mondain's Legacy, could you use a differnet CD? Say, UO:R or something older that may be smaller in size?

That's why I was wondering just how much ML needs, free space-wise to start successfully. Also, I tried running Age of Shadows and other older versions but it takes days to patch on those versions, which makes the situation impossible. Again, is it possible to stop and resume a patch later? That might make it just a bit possible to patch AoS, if it can be done. (The problem with ML is strange...)

When I open the folder, patch the game, and update everything my Ultima Online folder is 2G in size. That is using Mondain's Legacy. Nothing else is in this folder aside from the download I got from this website.

Dominion

Sorceror

What are the specifications of your computer? Take a screenshot of your desktop with your task manager open (ctrl-alt-delete). Make sure AOL is running and logged in when you take the screenshot. (might wanna block out your user name so no one sends to shit also :p)

Dunno what to tell you though, sounds like you got something running taking up your memory. If it's the error message I think it is then all of your memory is being used by other programs, not your harddrives (unless it's the "This computer is out of diskspace error" which would be weird)

If you can't get the screenshot and such, go to your taskmanager and post how many processes you have running. that number is in the lower left hand corner says Processes: XXXX

Dominion

Sorceror

BlackthornReborn;1325888 said:
Also, I've no spyware in my comp. I have a spyware-removal utility that zaps any spyware or viruses. As to downlaods, they work fine, as do patches. It's just going to actually play Mondain's Legacy that seems to cause the error I'm getting.

The goal of spyware is to circumvent those programs, just because you have the program doesn't mean you have no spyware.

wkstrm

Lord

hmm.. a little tip to you with your downloading... there are programs that allow you to resume downloads even if you're disconnected. I remember that I used to use those back in the days before I got ADSL (on fiber now).

anyway, I used a program called "Get Right" and I suppose you can find it or a similiar program on Download.com for example.

Mythia Jhengli;1325907 said:
When I open the folder, patch the game, and update everything my Ultima Online folder is 2G in size. That is using Mondain's Legacy. Nothing else is in this folder aside from the download I got from this website.

1.29 GB is the size of my Ultima Online folder with Mondain's Legacy, and that's fully patched. Sounds like the retail version is actually smaller than the trial one.

Also, system specs? Pentium 3, Windows 98, 395MB RAM, Direct X 9.0c, as well as Nvidia Geforce 4 MX 400 video card, Soundblaster Live! sound card also. 700 Mhz speed, 1400+ MB Hard Drive space free with no games installed except for Ultima Online (ML) fully patched, and 22897 Virtual Memory free.

Background tasks running while online: America Online, Explorer, SysTray. Rnaapp, Aolwbspd, amd Ascsd. All of which are needed just to run AOL, and nothing else.

It doesn't list a specific number of tasks running, but shows only these on the list. Closing any of these, closes AOL, so they aren't the issue, being required programs. The problem must be a mis-communication between the game and the Internet somehow. No idea what could cause such a mis-communication.

Ok, after hours on the phone once more with EA, it seems the problem that Tech Support has determined is the issue, is that my copy of the game is a defective one. We'll be sending it back for a replacement, so that should solve it. Just have to wait for it, but at least it's a step in the righ direction. Farewell!

Dominion

Sorceror

Sounds like a copout on part of EA. That system spec sounds like you may be having difficulties with the latest release of UO, I haven't ran a PC that slow in a LOOOOONG time so I couldn't honestly tell you.

BlackthornReborn;1326186 said:
Ok, after hours on the phone once more with EA, it seems the problem that Tech Support has determined is the issue, is that my copy of the game is a defective one. We'll be sending it back for a replacement, so that should solve it. Just have to wait for it, but at least it's a step in the righ direction. Farewell!
Glad to hear it. Hope it works out.