UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Out of Memory error on starting game?

Re: Out of Memory error on starting game?

Dominion;1326220 said:
Sounds like a copout on part of EA. That system spec sounds like you may be having difficulties with the latest release of UO, I haven't ran a PC that slow in a LOOOOONG time so I couldn't honestly tell you.

While I don't trust EA either, it's always a good idea to try every avenue open. You never know... but, it's a still good try in any case! If the next copy I get is *still* messed up, then I'll know there's more to it on my computer's end, and that's where I'll have to look for the solution... whereas if it works fine I'll know the issue was on the game's end. Whichever it turns out to be, my reasoning is sort of a process of careful elimination in this way. As Sherlock Holmes would say: "Once you eliminate the imposssible, the only thing remaining is the truth".

Once I get the next copy, I'll know the truth.

*Crosses fingers, and hopes for the best*

I Tame

Wanderer

Good Job Raising your virtual memory to 23GB while you only have 7GB space on your hard drive... virtual memory uses hard drive space.. so in all your comps wants 22GB of your hard drive when you can only give it like 6GB... 7GB and your comp would complety die.

And the rest of your specs are also somewhat very ancient.

i have another comp with specs:

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz
512MB RAM
Geforce FX 5500 128MB

a little higher then yours, the game opens and runs but it can grab lagg in a few areas.. espicially Del Pond... where as on my good comp... Del Pond is nothing.

I Tame;1344324 said:
Good Job Raising your virtual memory to 23GB while you only have 7GB space on your hard drive... virtual memory uses hard drive space.. so in all your comps wants 22GB of your hard drive when you can only give it like 6GB... 7GB and your comp would complety die.

And the rest of your specs are also somewhat very ancient.

i have another comp with specs:

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz
512MB RAM
Geforce FX 5500 128MB

a little higher then yours, the game opens and runs but it can grab lagg in a few areas.. espicially Del Pond... where as on my good comp... Del Pond is nothing.

I know, that's why I had to fix my Virtual Memory back to normal; it was doing my comp more harm than good. I've ordered a RAM chip from my comp's maker and it will raise my RAM up to or past 512, which will help me out in some ways at least. I can't afford any other upgrades right now, but from what I gather it is odd that the game isn't opening and running. (Lag I expect in online games in general, but it's the not opening problem that is strange.) Recently, I have been slowly getting my comp shipshape. I bought it in 2000 and didn't use it at all for a good three years, while only in the past two years have I been able to get it upgraded in various ways, such as the RAM chip I mentioned before.

Do you know how much virtual memory Mondain's Legacy looks for in order to open and run? I ask because you seem to know a bit about virtual memory. Me it's the first time I've ever encountered issues with it so I'm in the dark about it.
I always assume that if you meet the requirements listed on the box, you were good to go, but perhaps there are requirements not listed which I know not of?

If it's more than I have, I would probably do well to stick with Age of Shadows. Lastly, just how lag-intensive is this shard? I used to play on ABC UO, and way back I played on UO Darkmyst. ABC UO got crazy lag-wise during special event times... when a lot of players would all show up at once, to battle a *massive* amount of monsters; whereas UO Darkmyst was a quiet little shard with a lot to explore, not too many players, and no lag whatsoever. Is lag related to how many players play on a shard? If it is, I might be best off looking up a shard on which smaller amounts of people play. I have to go for now... I'll check in later.

I Tame

Wanderer

Its not really what virtual memory the game needs... honestly its what RAM it needs, then you should always have twice as much virtual memory then what RAM you have... for example if you have 512MB of RAM... you have 1GB of virtual memory, your problem should be fixed with the RAM... i dont know what Operating System ur running but, if its XP then there is ur problem that thing will take a definte 256mb of ram out of you... a fully updated copy of Windows XP these days recommends you have 512MB of RAM, and i read before you have 384mb or sumthin like that so if this is the case for you... then this is where your problem begins.

You have only like 128mb of ram left for other things, and i gurrantee you have other things using that... so literally nothing left for the game.

I Tame;1344358 said:
Its not really what virtual memory the game needs... honestly its what RAM it needs, then you should always have twice as much virtual memory then what RAM you have... for example if you have 512MB of RAM... you have 1GB of virtual memory, your problem should be fixed with the RAM... i dont know what Operating System ur running but, if its XP then there is ur problem that thing will take a definte 256mb of ram out of you... a fully updated copy of Windows XP these days recommends you have 512MB of RAM, and i read before you have 384mb or sumthin like that so if this is the case for you... then this is where your problem begins.

You have only like 128mb of ram left for other things, and i gurrantee you have other things using that... so literally nothing left for the game.

That's good to know, about the RAM controlling the Virtual Memory! (I had a bit of a feeling RAM was an issue.) Sounds like the 512 I've ordered should solve a big chunk of the problem I'm having. I'm using Windows 98 SE, by the way. I would assume Windows 98 SE is less memory hungry than Windows XP is? Lol.

I Tame

Wanderer

BlackthornReborn;1344811 said:
That's good to know, about the RAM controlling the Virtual Memory! (I had a bit of a feeling RAM was an issue.) Sounds like the 512 I've ordered should solve a big chunk of the problem I'm having. I'm using Windows 98 SE, by the way. I would assume Windows 98 SE is less memory hungry than Windows XP is? Lol.

yes it is less memory hungry than Windows XP.. its "recommended" requirements are 24mb of ram.. though that probably grew by the time as it was updated... as do all microsoft operating systems as i said before.

Your memory problem may not be a computer one now that u mention you have Windows 98 ... as Mondains Legacy is a new release and EA are very gay with their operating system support and usually only support 2 Operatings system on a game sometimes even 1!. Eg. Battlefield 2 or Battlefield 2142... Windows XP is the only supported OS.. though it does run on others it bugs on most of them.

Therefore it could not be built for it and therefore have compatibilty problems.... though the game appears not to have changed... i imagine EA fuked around with it when they took over Origin.

I Tame;1344953 said:
yes it is less memory hungry than Windows XP.. its "recommended" requirements are 24mb of ram.. though that probably grew by the time as it was updated... as do all microsoft operating systems as i said before.

Your memory problem may not be a computer one now that u mention you have Windows 98 ... as Mondains Legacy is a new release and EA are very gay with their operating system support and usually only support 2 Operatings system on a game sometimes even 1!. Eg. Battlefield 2 or Battlefield 2142... Windows XP is the only supported OS.. though it does run on others it bugs on most of them.

Therefore it could not be built for it and therefore have compatibilty problems.... though the game appears not to have changed... i imagine EA fuked around with it when they took over Origin.

Knowing EA, that is a very likely scenario! Lol. At any rate, by the time I get my second copy of the game back from EA (I sent my first copy in for another one, back when I thought it was a defective game), I'll have had my RAM upgraded to the 512; so if it messes up again after that, then it has to be the supported Operating System for sure, in which case it's back to Age of Shadows for me. Thanks for helping me to narrow down the likely problem. Very helpful info!

Kappa2003

Wanderer

If I were you, I would uninstall it, try all that scandisk and disk defrag crap, boot down your pc and let it sit a few minutes.. eat a bologna sandwhich, then boot it up and try installing it again. Or, to make sure that no junk is starting up go to start, run, type in msconfig and uncheck "load startup ITEMS" only uncheck that one though it should be on that first tab labeled "general." That way you know for sure nothing else is loading up. Don't uncheck the others, windows needs them.

After getting your comp all fresh and clean, then try installing it. It will need to patch some after it's installed. Make sure you have it full patched, then go to connect UO and get their client so you can load UOGamers: Hybrid. If it's still messing up, and you have razor, try to disable the intro movie and all that shit using some of the options. On the general tab in razor you can uncheck the "show welcome screen" . I can't remember now if you can disable the intro movie from the UO options or not, but doing that would require you logging in, or editing one of those files in the UO folder.. Sorry, I can't remember which one.

If you've tried all you can think of and still can't get UO:ML to work. You could always reformat your hard drive and reinstall windows. It's not particularly hard if you have a few hours to kill. When ever my computer feels old and crappy I just do that and it feels as good as new again. Only thing you miss is the pr0n anyway.

I hope it works out for you.

Aveks

Wanderer

I Tame;1344953 said:
I imagine EA fuked around with it when they took over Origin.

The common misconception is that EA fucked up UO, but the truth is, EA took over Origin in September 1992, about 5 years before Ultima Online was released. Without EA's funding, UO would have never even left development stages. EA provided expensive server costs (UO was a risky investment) that Origin hardly would have been able to meet on it's own.

They may have fucked it up now, but that made sure it didn't crash and burn within it's first weeks.

Just clarifying.

;)

Well, the 512 memory boost didn't help... and I have learned why I am having so many problems that seem unexplainable. About a week or two ago, my CD and my DVD drives started opening and closing on their own like somthing very possessed, and so I took it to be repaired and they explained that this was all because my mother board had been damaged, and likely this happened in one of the storms we got a while back... although, I took not any notice of it when the storm occured. But, when I thought about it the storm had caused a power out... and, that apparantly fried something in my comp that couldn't be fixed. I had not realized how extensive the damage was, until even re-formating the computer failed to resolve certain issues. The repair people told me it would be wiser to get a new computer than to try and repair this dinosaur, so that is the way we will be going with it. Right now, this thing is only really good for going online... since even my word processor was screwed up from that storm. And, in the meanwhile... I will be getting another computer (a WAY better one, with Windows XP, and a better video card, compared to this very old relic I've been using). So my good news is that, soon, I will be able to play UO again with no problems, just it will be on the new system. The bad news, is this older comp is officially kaput. Hopefully, all should be well before the month is out. Thank you for all the help and comments, all! It was good of everyone to try and help out. Farewell for now!