UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Pontauban philosophises

Pont

Knight
Hi my name is Pontauban. Most of you know me as that guy who runs around killing things with not much on. But today I'm going to let you into a little secret, I'm also a student of philosophy. If you can't find it on your skills don't worry the following may help you train.

Ever since I entered the world of the shard where I live called UO Demise I have had periods when starting where I would daydream resulting in me being in myself some time from that point. Now I'm not talking about 'de ja vu'. I'm talking about actually being in me at a point in the future feeling all the same feelings I would at that point. That is quite a strange sensation really when you think about it because the feelings I felt were of a future self and quite different to the person at that point in time.

Now that started me to think. Was time repeating itself? Because how did I experience what was going to happen to me before it did? And not just what was happening around me but also inside me. The way my processes worked in my brain. I came to an early conclusion and since the world around me was 2D I applied that logic in that time must be like a circle. That made me unhappy to think that I was living life in some sort of game on a loop as I knew I was real.

I thought more on the matter and remembered a time where there were objects of 3D aspects. Now if I looked out through my telescope recently purchased from the tinkers I could see all lots of other planets and shards in space. They were all spherical in shape. The same applied if I looked through a microscope into the molecules of an item. They too were spherical in shape. I wondered if I looked as far as I could into space and then into the microscope if the two would meet? This gave me the idea that time was maybe spherical in shape and not round as in our 2D universe.

I then contemplated more and realised that this was wrong. Time is a 4th dimension and therefore can't simply be compared to a 3D object. It was like comparing the circle to the sphere and not seeing all of it. It was at that point I realised I would not be able to 'see' a 4D object. My brain in the 2D world I lived in was limited to only imagining it.

It is at this point I will bring in a concept of comparison for the readers. Imagine if you will a cow in a field somewhere outside of Minoc. There is a farmer with the cow and he is reading to the cow trying to teach the cow how to spellweave and the concepts behind it. Now the cow may well understand in it's limited way that the farmer is making some noises and waving his arms around and for that cow he understands fully what is going on. However that cow will never understand what the farmer does in the way he does and what knowledge he is easily imparting to the cow. This is how it is with us looking out onto the universe.

Now to get onto another point. Why am I me? I know I am Pontauban but that's not what I mean. Now this is a sticky subject with all the different religions out there, Necromancy, Chiv and the like. I mean I know that my brain functions and how it functions but why am I 'I'? If it wasn't for this fact I would probably be an atheist and I can't bring myself personally to believe that one religion out of the many that are out there has hit the nail on the head as they are man-made concepts where we know already we have a limited capacity. So what makes me me? Why am I not someone else? I understand if I cut away some of my brain it will corrupt the system that my ID, ego, soul, spirit or whatever operates in but that does not make me me, does it? For now I will sit on the fence on this one in the knowledge that 'wisest is he who knows he does not know'. Sorry stole that line from another student of philosophy.

After all this though I can't help thinking that maybe I am just part of a story. Some sort of piece in a game. Now that would be a depressing thought.....

Pontauban.

ne14pic

Sorceror
Immanuel Kant just rolled over in his grave, but on the positive side it is nice to see you're still drinking Pont