UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

"Power Balance" Wristbands? Thoughts?

Sirkah

Sorceror
Re: "Power Balance" Wristbands? Thoughts?

ill say it again..

i rarely see huge wiki mistakes. Yea, people edit, but i dont really see much stupid shit

a lawyer

Sorceror

If we're talking about biosciences I wouldn't accept anything less than a peer-reviewed journal.

a lawyer;2125916 said:
I always get a kick out of people quoting wikipedia

So I have to know, are you an actual lawyer, going through law school, a wannabe, retired lawyer...what the fuck are you?

a lawyer

Sorceror

Dany Mortal;2125923 said:
So I have to know, are you an actual lawyer, going through law school, a wannabe, retired lawyer...what the fuck are you?

yes, no, no, i wish?

dixie

Sorceror

It's been tested. Check this link out for a listing of trials and testing that has been done regarding the effects of magnetic bracelets range of ailments and health problems.

An excerpt from one such article after a basic search on the magnetic bracelets (Therapeutic effects of magnetic and copper bracele... [Complement Ther Med. 2009 Oct-Dec] - PubMed result)

RESULTS: No difference was observed between devices in terms of their effects on pain as measured by the primary outcome measure (WOMAC A), the PRI and the VAS. Similar results were obtained for stiffness (WOMAC B), physical function (WOMAC C), and medication use. Further analyses of the PRI subscales revealed a statistically significant difference between devices (P=0.025), which favoured the experimental device. Participants reported lower sensory pain after wearing the standard magnetic wrist strap, than when wearing control devices. However, no adjustment was made for multiple testing.

CONCLUSIONS: Our results indicate that magnetic and copper bracelets are generally ineffective for managing pain, stiffness and physical function in osteoarthritis. Reported therapeutic benefits are most likely attributable to non-specific placebo effects. However such devices have no major adverse effects and may provide hope.

Also, from this search on magnets and arthritis:

Short-term efficacy of physical interventions in o... [BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2007] - PubMed result
Within 4 weeks of the commencement of treatment manual acupuncture, static magnets and ultrasound therapies did not offer statistically significant short-term pain relief over placebo. Pulsed electromagnetic fields offered a small reduction in pain of 6.9 mm [95% CI: 2.2 to 11.6] (n = 487). Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS, including interferential currents), electro-acupuncture (EA) and low level laser therapy (LLLT) offered clinically relevant pain relieving effects of 18.8 mm [95% CI: 9.6 to 28.1] (n = 414), 21.9 mm [95% CI: 17.3 to 26.5] (n = 73) and 17.7 mm [95% CI: 8.1 to 27.3] (n = 343) on VAS respectively versus placebo control.

So there you have it, folks. Plain magnets offer a placebo effect at best. Pulsing electricity offers actual results.

a lawyer

Sorceror

While I didn't dig into pubmed to confirm this really doesn't come as any surprise. However, you can't completely disregard the power and effect of a placebo. If it makes people feel better (even if it's imagined) it's a good thing IMO.

a lawyer contact me danymortaluog.

a lawyer;2125927 said:
Dany, I talk a lot of shit in-game that I can't back up. I'd like to contract with you to fight my duels for me. NCDs will be provided on an as-needed basis. Let's talk numbers sometime...

a lawyer

Sorceror

Haha, I was kidding... but that would be pretty damn funny and probably not the first time it's happened on hybrid (not necessarily with you, just saying)

a lawyer;2125967 said:
Haha, I was kidding... but that would be pretty damn funny and probably not the first time it's happened on hybrid (not necessarily with you, just saying)

yes i realize that was a joke but i have lawyer business for you damnit. and yes ive done it before on numerous occations lol.

I have a problem with remember to take off jewelry and as such troubleshooting hardware problems with PC's that might be a big issue :( Other than that results speak louder than facts. If the bracelet allows you to do stuff easier / better than without it regardless of the fact it’s helping performance. If the effect only lasts a certain while then consider it a small gain for that short time and weigh the length of time you got benefit out of it with the cost of it and see if it was worth it.

I once read a small book on how to think away an itch and I believe the book is full of shit, but even now I still think away itches. In reality I believe it has to do with just waiting out the itch but regardless of its truth it still works for me and I continue to reap the benefits of it weather its legit or not.

dixie;2125943 said:
It's been tested. Check this link out for a listing of trials and testing that has been done regarding the effects of magnetic bracelets range of ailments and health problems.

An excerpt from one such article after a basic search on the magnetic bracelets (Therapeutic effects of magnetic and copper bracele... [Complement Ther Med. 2009 Oct-Dec] - PubMed result)

Also, from this search on magnets and arthritis:

Short-term efficacy of physical interventions in o... [BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2007] - PubMed result

So there you have it, folks. Plain magnets offer a placebo effect at best. Pulsing electricity offers actual results.

Power Balance bracelets are not magnets though, they are holograms.; and as we all learned as children, from gettin them in cereal boxes and Happy Meals... Holograms > magnets.

I still think the bracelets are bunk though, no matter how nifty they look.