UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Ranger Guild

awsome

Traveler
Thinking about putting together a Ranger type guild. First thing's first, is there anything currently like this already out there? No need to dilute things if there is already a guild that fills my needs.

It would be a good aligned guild based in the Skara Brae area. The Rangers' area of influence would be as shown on the map below, excluding the red outlined areas. The cities of Britain & Trinsic can handle their own affairs, while the Rangers are not exactly equipped to go into swamps & deserts, although they may if called to action.

rangerterritoriesmap.jpg

As you can see, that is a lot of territory to cover. Most coverage of these lands would involve patrols sent out from Skara Brae. Patrols would have predetermined routes known only to Rangers, so their moves could not be anticipated.

A patrol's primary purpose is to protect innocents in Ranger protected zones, although if Rangers received word of particularly grievous offenses on the part of enemies, they may be more proactive in their efforts. However, even if a patrol was to assault an enemy group, they would not engage in prolonged efforts. Attack, cripple & retreat would be a patrol's tactic.

Natural enemies for Rangers would be any evil-aligned groups in Ranger protected territories who prey on the innocent, such as Brigands, Orcs, Trolls, Ettins, Undead & Ratmen.

I am fairly new to this shard and have some work to do to get this off the ground, but I wanted to throw the idea out there and see if there would be any interest. (I'll likely still do it even if there is no interest, I'll just be a 2-man show with my friend) I would like to have a house in the Skara Brae area, although I'd likely be using the NPC Ranger's Guild as a base of operations also. If anyone has a house for sale in the vicinity, please AIM me at punkroxdood.

The idea is based upon a non-RP guild from the Lake Superior shard called the Skara Brae Rangers [SBR] where I spent a couple years playing.

Nok'Tor

Sorceror
that sounds like alot of fun good luck! if you guys get rolling and are looking for a fight feel free to message us.

aim/yahoo: IRsuxx

awsome

Traveler
Working on a charter to post, but it needs some fine tuning. As for skill templates, there won't be any. I'm of the opinion that a Ranger is identified by his actions & ideals rather than his skillset. While there are some skills that lend themselves towards being more rangerish, such as archery, fencing, hiding, fletching, camping, etc; I also think a mage could make a fine Ranger also.

There will be some limitations on equipment, however. I'll try to get that charter up by the end of the day.

awsome

Traveler
The Rangers of Skara Brae

The Rangers of Skara Brae [RSB] is a PVP/RP guild on the UOGamers: Hybrid free Utlima Online server. Note the sequencing of PVP/RP. RSB is a PVP guild, but we do it with an RP slant. RSB members are expected to be IC (in character) most of the time, we are not, however, a hardcore RP guild that requires 100% IC interaction.

Who are the Rangers of Skara Brae?

In all actuality, the Rangers of Skara Brae are a vigilante organization based out of the island town of Skara Brae. They fight for what they believe is right, which is the protection of all who are good and decent. At times, they are forced to take the law into their own hands, eliminating threats both obvious and subtle.

The Rangers’ protected territories span from Skara Brae to Destard and Dragonhame Mountain in the South, through the Spiritwood to the gates of Trinsic in the southeast and to Britain in the east. They patrol as far north as the Deep Forest, and as far east as the High Steppes, the Valley of Chaos and Snake’s Pass. Typically they will not interfere in the affairs of other cities, such as Trinsic, Britain and Yew, although they may offer assistance if called to action.

What are the ranks of the Rangers of Skara Brae?

The ranks are as follows:

• GM – Controls the guildstone, will have another title of rank as well.
    • For example: Ranger Captain GM
  • Ranger Captain – Highest rank
  • Ranger – Full Ranger
  • Ranger Support – A craft or tradesperson, equal privilege as Ranger.
  • Ranger Initiate – Probationary Ranger

New members will be given the title of Ranger Initiate and must be sponsored by a current member. An Initiate’s sponsor will be responsible for teaching them the ways of the Rangers and will determine when they are a suitable candidate for the rank of Ranger. Upon a sponsor’s determination that an initiate is ready, they will be tested by knowledge of the Rangers’ way and skill.

A Ranger can be promoted to Captain upon showing extreme skill in their chosen path, as well as true dedication to the Rangers’ cause.

What is prohibited for a Ranger of Skara Brae?

Rangers should not commit “evil” acts. The following acts would be considered “evil”, although exceptions are also listed.

• Murdering innocents
    • Exception: Innocent is not a concept of reputation, but actions. All murders will be questioned, but if the action on the part of the Ranger is justified, it will be approved.
    • Punishments:
      • First Offense: Warning
      • Second Offense: Demotion
      • Third Offense: Exile (kicked & banned from the guild)
        • Being exiled for an especially egregious offense can result in being declared “disable on sight”.
  • Stealing from innocents
    • Exception: While stealing is generally frowned upon, there is a time and place for most acts. As with murders, acts of burglary will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
    • Punishments:
      • First Offense: Warning
      • Second Offense: Demotion
      • Third Offense: Exile (kicked & banned from the guild)
        • Being exiled for an especially egregious offense can result in being declared “disable on sight”.
  • Aiding enemies or those who are committing evil acts upon innocents.
    • Exception: The enemy of my enemy is my friend. This will be rare.
  • Scamming
    • No exceptions, even in the case of the vilest victims.
  • Exploiting
    • No exceptions.
  • Committing any of the preceding acts upon a fellow Ranger
    • Punishment is immediate expulsion and being declared “disable on sight”.

There are also some item limitations for Rangers of Skara Brae.

• Rangers should not wear plate armor, as this decreases mobility and the ability to blend in with surroundings.
(does not include head pieces)
  • Rangers should be sparing in the use of Chain & Ring armor, as these decrease mobility and the ability to blend in with surroundings.
(does not include head pieces)
    • Restricted armors can be used sparingly if a backstory involving a magical item created to reduce the sound/glint is prepared.
      • Sparingly means you won’t be wearing a full plate set. The majority of your armor should be studded or leather.
  • Rangers should not wear bright and unnatural hues, as this would reduce their ability to blend in with surroundings. Preferred clothing hues are greens & browns, although muted yellows, oranges & reds could be used in a fall environment and whites & blacks could be used in arctic or dark environments respectively.
    • The above applies to hair as well. No neon hair or beards.
  • Rangers should not equip their enemies. A Ranger’s enemy should take a loss by fighting a Ranger, not profit. Carry as little in the way of supplies as you can get away with and your gear should never be of the highest quality.
    • (Use only what you can afford to lose, and never make an enemy rich by losing to them.)

What skills should a Ranger have?

According to http://codex.ultimaaiera.com/wiki/Ranger, Sosarian Rangers are very diverse individuals. They are well-versed in woods lore, skilled in the use of most kinds of weapons and proficient magic users. Thus, there are no skill limitations for a Ranger. A Ranger is known by his actions and ideals, not by his skills in battle.

Having said that, here are some of what I believe are prototypical Ranger skills.

· Archery
· Swordsmanship (specifically the use of axes, broadswords & longswords)
· Fencing (specifically the use of daggers & spears)
· Mace Fighting (specifically the use of quarterstaves & war axes)
· Tactics
· Healing
· Anatomy
· Hiding
· Stealth
· Tracking
· Cooking
· Camping
· Bowcraft/Fletching
· Detecting Hidden
· Fishing
· Lumberjacking
· Tailoring
· Animal Taming (specifically with forest animals)
· Veterinary
· Animal Lore
· Rudimentary Magery

Again, this list of skills is based upon my opinion of the Ranger prototype and Rangers should not feel constrained by this list in any way. It’s just something to help people get started with new characters.

I hope to get the guild created tonight.

awsome

Traveler
Guild is created. Working on a website. AIM me at punkroxdood or look for Mat or Deltor around Skara Brae bank if you are interested in joining. Hoping to get some real activity going next week, but we've got a few members now, so they certainly don't have to wait for me to start patrolling.

Bramos

Sorceror
Who were you in SBR ? I was in that guild for a few years untill I went to siege Perilous. My guy was Damien. Remember Corwin of Amber ? He was on siege and think he used to play on hybrid too or maybe angel island

awsome

Traveler
Hah, saw the other post before I saw this one, I was right! I was Derek. Not only were we in SBR but .... uh... Dawn's guild. Can't remember the name.

Bramos

Sorceror
damn ! thats nuts... and now Im Still a vampire and you went back to being a Ranger ha ! You cant remember the name.... It was the Grey Guard GG !

awsome

Traveler
I thought that was the guild Dolthrandis made after leaving Dawn's guild, but it's been so long who knows.

awsome

Traveler
Oh, and yes I remember Corwin. Him, Brandy and the whole Athena fiasco. Good times. I moved to Siege and played with Corwin for about 5 minutes.

Bramos

Sorceror
So you just want to do the Ranger thing or you looking to maybe try the whole multi guild rp story line war thing ? that was pretty fun

awsome

Traveler
Playing it by ear at the moment. I'm still fairly new to the shard, so I'm just kind of getting my bearings as a player, rper, pvper & guildmaster all at once.

Spudler

Wanderer
Cool guild, man! I'm coming back to Hybrid after a few years and was actually going to start a Rangers RP guild myself. I was planning on focusing more on PvM, hunts, etc. than PvP, but I would definitely gauge the interest of other members. I have one friend who will most likely be starting up the guild with me, but if we don't get enough interest, we might apply for your guild, haha.

Either way, once I get it up and running, I would definitely want to ally with the RSB - a real alliance mind, not for game technicality purposes. Then perhaps we could go on hunts together, hunt down pks, etc. :)
How is your guild coming along?

awsome

Traveler
We are growing, although not exactly speedily. We are interested in all things UO, not just pvp we rp, pvp, rpvp, pvm and dabble in crafting. You can aim me at punkroxdood if you have interest.