UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Razor vs Salos?

DonkyDong

Wanderer
Razor vs Salos?

So I am finally getting a new computer that will be able to run Salos and I was just wondering should I switch. I just wanted to hear some pros/cons on each to help me decide.
Thanks

Cold Blood

Sorceror
Re: Razor vs Salos?

all tools nthong diff.
anyway it seems that sallos is good for gourp pvp cuz of the targeting msg and some shit called smart target system.

that and sallos allows for a beneficial last target and a attack last target..however you wanna word it....my brain isnt working at the moment...hehe

RamboPreacher;1935918 said:
that and sallos allows for a beneficial last target and a attack last target..however you wanna word it....my brain isnt working at the moment...hehe
Explain? Razor definitely has attack last target, target by notoriety (both closest and random), options to set last target and of course a last target..

I don't really know sallos so I am honestly asking.

Rambone

You've been ramb0ned

i miss all the functionality that comes with razor, but i just bring myself to give up the smooth motion in sallos

Twin_Sitees

Wanderer

From what I could tell the main things Sallos has going:
A) animation/graphics options, you can "lock step" your animations, and use smooth animation, which looks very strange at first, but generally does eliminate a lot of the choppiness of run and gun fights
B) some other nice graphic things, halos under players in war mode, some slightly nicer spell graphics, etc

As far as targeting and hotkey functionality goes, pretty much exactly the same from what I could tell, never really tried pots and things too much with it. I love Razor macros too much to wanna switch

Edit: Also you can do smart targeting and target queueing in Razor easily. Razor will store a beneficial and harmful last target with smart targeting checked, and you can either turn off queueing or set a hotkey for clear target queue.

Cold Blood

Sorceror

Twin_Sitees;1935959 said:
Edit: Also you can do smart targeting and target queueing in Razor easily. Razor will store a beneficial and harmful last target with smart targeting checked, and you can either turn off queueing or set a hotkey for clear target queue.
this always makes me mess up so i decide to disable the queue targets function in razor.
and some shit like random targets in using which i cant precast(the spells will be sent out immediately when u press the keys to target). i hope they can work like next target :laugh:

DonkyDong

Wanderer

So Salos doesnt have macros, that kinda sucks. I seen the graphic difference on a friends computer once and it semmed really smooth on Salos, that was one of the main reasons I was thinking of switching.

LKP

Forum Member of the year 09'

I'm with Nicolai on this one. To recap:

Sallos gives you smoother animations, which makes it much easier to keep track of fast-moving targets and read text on the fly. It also announces whom you are targeting and with what in party chat, so you can use that to call targets a la Guild Wars. It is, generally speaking, less laggy and choppy in appearance, so it really does make it a lot easier to see what's going on at high speeds and in intense fights. It's extremely useful for group PvP, as it just makes it so much easier to see where everyone is and where they're going. The graphics are anti-aliased, to appear more smooth and cartoony, which really makes characters stand out against the background more. That said, it just doesn't feel like UO... it almost looks more like Runescape. Sallos also has some interesting extra functions that let you recall to any rune you have just by saying ". recall home" where you have a rune in any of your books named "home." I haven't used it in a long time, but if I recall correctly it also lets you automatically recall to your nearest rune to a given party member or map location. It takes some getting used to, as the interface is pretty Spartan and the docs aren't much better, but there are lots of guides on these forums that can help you get started with it.

Razor, on the other hand, does have the macro functionality that Sallos lacks. It's therefore a must if you plan on doing any crafting or training any chars or pets. I've also seen some users get pretty creative with the macro system... for example, I've got a macro that places and boards a ship and sails away in a couple of seconds, which I've used to escape ganks a few times with a certain amount of dramatic flair :)

But the main reason I don't switch to Sallos is simply what Nicolai said - it just doesn't feel like the UO I grew up with.

shindig

Sorceror

Some sallos commands:

. scavenge all will bring up a cursor and will always try to scavenge whatever you set

. give regs 50 will give 50 of each reg to the player you target

. recall nameofrune will recall to whatever rune you name

. usegate will use the nearest gate, so if you're at an IDOC holding a 100k stone chest, you can type that to go through a gate that you or a friend opens next to you.

. leavehouse leaves house which you can do with razor but this command seems simple

Sallos never fails to open a door as where I have had that happen numerous times with razor.

You can cast a spell, then bring up set last target cursor, then hit last target and it'll drop the spell on whoever you just set as last target.

Smart target, depends on if you're casting beneficial spell or combat spell. You can have a beneficial last target and an enemy last target automatically and it figures out which to target based on the type of spell.

You can press a key to ACQUIRE target! Fuck trying to drag bars off people who are running around. This in itself makes Sallos worth using.

Auto accepts party invites.

Auto broadcasts through party chat who you are targeting so your party always knows who you're attacking.

You can set a key to use WAND TYPE, so you set a key to lightning wand, you can have 20 different wands in your pack and it will automatically equip a lightning wand and bring up a traget cursor with 1 key.

Shows all guard lines to the tile.

I like the way it displays how many regs and pots you have.

The gumps are nicer and the map has an X everywhere you have a rune marked. You can click the map and it will recall to that rune as well.

Lots more I'm forgetting but that's a start.

I still use razor for buying from npcs and for the organizer agent and for macroing.

LKP

Forum Member of the year 09'

shindig;1936674 said:
Sallos never fails to open a door as where I have had that happen numerous times with razor.

You can cast a spell, then bring up set last target cursor, then hit last target and it'll drop the spell on whoever you just set as last target.

Smart target, depends on if you're casting beneficial spell or combat spell. You can have a beneficial last target and an enemy last target automatically and it figures out which to target based on the type of spell.

You can press a key to ACQUIRE target! Fuck trying to drag bars off people who are running around. This in itself makes Sallos worth using.

Shows all guard lines to the tile.

I like the way it displays how many regs and pots you have.

Razor does all of these, but I still use a client macro for OpenDoor. That never fails either, and I wouldn't want it to automatically open doors for me as I might want to stay behind one while I cast a spell or whatever.

Razor only shows the guard lines on its map function, but I find that less invasive and still visible enough.

I prefer the Razor display on the title bar, rather than on the play area, but that's just aesthetics. To each his own.

As for your big one, acquiring targets, it's the same as Razor's "Next Target." I use it all the time while PKing, as I precast a spell, arm a weapon, then find a blue, use razor to set him as my last target (by using next target, it cycles through all possible targets) and then attack last target. This lets me initiate combat with a weapon, even though I have a spell precast, and then drop the spell after the first hit. If it's in an area with too many mobiles around, such as a vendor mall, dense dungeon spawn, etc., I can use target nearest innocent/criminal/murderer humanoid or something similar. It won't let me attack with the weapon that way, but will instantly drop the spell before the target gets away. Again, Sallos can do all this, but my point is that Razor can as well.

The same goes for smart last targets.

The recall and wand functions sound nice.

Twin_Sitees

Wanderer

I think you could just macro the wand functions in Razor without too much trouble, it might get annoying though since you'd either be "by type", which would be "wand", and then it would pick any random wand. Or you'd set it for a specific wand, which would have to be retargeted when charges ran out.

Yes I'm a Razor apologist :p