UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Start of the universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xternal_Fire

Wanderer
Start of the universe

Well In my science book it says that the universe with all the gasses and stuff in it went and started gathering at a central point about 13billion years ago...And well
what doesn't make sense it that the gasses came together in space with by definiton is a void of nothing...tell me this how can something be created out of nothing?

I think thats why people believe that there is a "god" or supreme being that created everything and has a plan for everything

Me personally I'm kinda liking the Men In Black theory atm

Afro Man

Wanderer
lol, that used to bother me... but who cares? i think the gases started forming together and created a surface, then years of lava cooling, heating made it big.. then meteors cashing into the earty carrying hydrogen made it rain for a long ass fuckin time... then we got an electro magnetic field somehow and we dont get meteors anymore? see.... too confusing, and no one knows for sure.

Galgum

Page
Xternal_Fire said:
Well In my science book it says that the universe with all the gasses and stuff in it went and started gathering at a central point about 13billion years ago...And well
what doesn't make sense it that the gasses came together in space with by definiton is a void of nothing...tell me this how can something be created out of nothing?

I think thats why people believe that there is a "god" or supreme being that created everything and has a plan for everything

Me personally I'm kinda liking the Men In Black theory atm

The only rationale I can offer is that it's beyond our comprehension. I was bothered by that back in 11th grade. I would argue that how could there be a God, there must have a been a start, and what started it, and what started that, and so on. The only thing Bob could say is that God's always been there and that's it's beyond our comprehension how that's not a paradox. Same with the creation of the univese from the Big Bang Theory, it's beyond our comprehension.

RacecaR

Sorceror
Read the book Angels and Demons. It's by the same guy who wrote the Da Vinci Code. Damn good book and has very interesting ideas about anti-matter and the start of the universe.

Kethinov

Sorceror
A current theory is that the universe is not infinite; that its an ever expanding, ever contracting body of mass. The Big Bang was in fact an expansion of matter but eventually as it grows larger it will reach a critical mass and collapse in on itself. This is the theory of universal lifecycle, a similar process to the lifecycle of stars. It's a controversial theory which many science people don't buy into.

Another take on it is that the universe was, in fact, never created. It has simply always existed and always will. Our interpretation of a big bang might have been flawed because what we're in fact seeing is light that radiated from thousands of light years away, showing us pictures of the universe in a much earlier time. There may perhaps be cycles of matter and energy conversation that cause us to see this ancient picture of the universe as a definitive expanding process when in reality it is just the natural flow of matter to energy and back again. In other words, our photographs from billions of years ago could be sending us distorted or entirely false images due to our undoubtedly flawed technologies and methods of interpreting the images.

And there are many other theories. One definitive answer is none of them quite explain everything. You can say for certain that our understanding of the universe at large is incomplete. We're still tinkering around with trying to master fusion, and generate antimatter at fermilab, and many other things. Getting depressed at our primitive society yet? Go watch some Star Trek. That oughta cheer ya up. ;)

Phantom16

Wanderer
i can tell you one thing right now....

this thred is gona turn into a big flame about wether ot not god exists.....

now that ive said that....

i beleave that space has allways ben, and allways will be.....
we know that their are many ,many, many, many universes, and i think that ours was made by rocks that came from other ones.....the same way they where made....

i think that all the rocks slower gathered around the sun, and as the molten rock formed together, it made planets.....

the remaining rocks are what we call "The milky way".

eather that, or their was a universe here befor, and one of the planets colapsed, made our sun, and demolished the planets that where their.
and like i said above....all the rocks formed together and made new planets....

RacecaR

Sorceror
Now everyone is a Physics professor around here. Since UO is the center of most your universes, obviously it is the origin.

Galgum

Page
Kethinov said:
A current theory is that the universe is not infinite; that its an ever expanding, ever contracting body of mass. The Big Bang was in fact an expansion of matter but eventually as it grows larger it will reach a critical mass and collapse in on itself. This is the theory of universal lifecycle, a similar process to the lifecycle of stars. It's a controversial theory which many science people don't buy into.

Another take on it is that the universe was, in fact, never created. It has simply always existed and always will. Our interpretation of a big bang might have been flawed because what we're in fact seeing is light that radiated from thousands of light years away, showing us pictures of the universe in a much earlier time. There may perhaps be cycles of matter and energy conversation that cause us to see this ancient picture of the universe as a definitive expanding process when in reality it is just the natural flow of matter to energy and back again. In other words, our photographs from billions of years ago could be sending us distorted or entirely false images due to our undoubtedly flawed technologies and methods of interpreting the images.

And there are many other theories. One definitive answer is none of them quite explain everything. You can say for certain that our understanding of the universe at large is incomplete. We're still tinkering around with trying to master fusion, and generate antimatter at fermilab, and many other things. Getting depressed at our primitive society yet? Go watch some Star Trek. That oughta cheer ya up. ;)

However, if the Big Bang theory is true, and the universe one days retracts itself back into a ball to expload and start all over, isn't it kind of depressing to know no matter what we do, the human race will end regardless of any other possibilities? That could be practically definite. Also, who knows how many times our universe has exploded only to ball back up and do it again. Sucks that our live are so short =\

M

Mark

Infinite is an abstract concept beyond human comprehension. We think so linearly, that its impossible to conceive something from nothing. Where did the gases come from that condensed to form the big bang? How was God created?

There cannot be an infinite number of universes (parallel universes). If there was, then one of those infinite possibilities would entail a situation where all the other universes were destroyed. Basically, we could not and would not exist.

Galgum said:
However, if the Big Bang theory is true, and the universe one days retracts itself back into a ball to expload and start all over, isn't it kind of depressing to know no matter what we do, the human race will end regardless of any other possibilities? That could be practically definite. Also, who knows how many times our universe has exploded only to ball back up and do it again. Sucks that our live are so short =\

This is known as the oscillating universe theory, where the universe is a closed loop of expansion and collapse. Lighten up though, if its true then eventually our lives would repeat. Eventually, we would be having this exact same conversation at the exact same time. It is an infinite cycle after all. :p

Marilyn Vos Savant stated in Parade magazine, February 4, 1996, “I think that if it had been a religion that first maintained the notion that all the matter in the entire universe had once been contained in an area smaller than the point of a pin, scientists probably would have laughed at the idea."

In fact the Bible does say something remarkably similar, and yes it has been laughed at by many. “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth†(Gen 1:1), “ He alone stretches out the heavens and treads on the waves of the sea†(Job 9:8 NIV), and “ Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.†(Heb 11:3 KJV) In these verses we see God creating an expanding universe which from our perspective was made visible from the invisible.

That should clear up any God debate.

I can't explain how something can come from nothing without explaining quantum phsyics and how the laws of thermodynamics change at the quantum level. Even if I did, its all theory. I doubt we will ever know for sure.

Galgum

Page
About the infinite dimension thing. An old friend of mine who's in the army now had a nice little debate about it. Basically, I said that if there were infinite universes, then anything that can be concieved would be done. Like, a person from another dimension would just appear to say hello and go back to his dimension. Basically, inter-dimensional travel, but that's not happening. So we came up with 2 rationals: 1. Inter-dimensional travel is impossible, no matter the universe, or 2. There's no parallel universes. Either one could be true. Inter-dimensional travel could be impossible and there could be infinite universes, just, they can't effect one another, or, there's just our universe. Just speculation.

Anyway, anyone watch that new Smallville ep last night? Good stuff.

M

Mark

Galgum said:
About the infinite dimension thing. An old friend of mine who's in the army now had a nice little debate about it. Basically, I said that if there were infinite universes, then anything that can be concieved would be done. Like, a person from another dimension would just appear to say hello and go back to his dimension. Basically, inter-dimensional travel, but that's not happening. So we came up with 2 rationals: 1. Inter-dimensional travel is impossible, no matter the universe, or 2. There's no parallel universes. Either one could be true. Inter-dimensional travel could be impossible and there could be infinite universes, just, they can't effect one another, or, there's just our universe. Just speculation.

Anyway, anyone watch that new Smallville ep last night? Good stuff.

If there were an infinite amount of universes that 'no travel between them' law would not hold true in an infinite amount of them.

Sorry, I don't watch TV. :eek:

Galgum

Page
Maybe there's just not either infinite or just one universes. Like the movie The One, there could just be a fixed amount. Unfortunatly, there's no way to know =\

I really don't watch too much T.V. either, usually just Enterprise and Smallville, anything I want I just get off www.suprnova.org

Status
Not open for further replies.