UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Swine Flu Outbreak

MegaManX24

Wanderer
Re: Swine Flu Outbreak

The swine flu has killed 100+ people from when we started noticing it. The normal flu has killed 36,000 people since January this year. I just read something on yahoo that experts say that if the flu is like the common flu (which they believe it is) it will most likely double the number of deaths this year and not be as great of a threat as the Spanish flu was years ago.

Lord more people are killed in a 24hr time from mowing the grass,cancer,cars... thy put this crap on tv and tell us the world is coming to an end millions will die!The pore hardiest hit! Every hr is an hr closer to your death!The sky is falling the sky is falling!

Seer Zatoichi

Sorceror

Until the deathtoll reaches the hundred of thousands, I really wouldn't worry about this to much. 3rd world countries are obviously the most at risk here, everyone else should be ok (for the most part)

Fana

Wanderer

Hillbilly Homer;545348 said:
Lord more people are killed in a 24hr time from mowing the grass,cancer,cars... thy put this crap on tv and tell us the world is coming to an end millions will die!The pore hardiest hit! Every hr is an hr closer to your death!The sky is falling the sky is falling!

its all about ratings they dont care what happens.

for awhile back it was omfshi Zimbabwe dictator inflation is 300.000% , then omfshii food crisis, then omfshii iraq, then omfshii taliban,s then omfshii israel wtv election, then obama obama obama, then crisis crisis crisis...

now its omfshi flu.

its not news anymore its entertainment and ratings, and wtv is new and shocking gets cover.:mad:

Sundoom

Sorceror

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/04/swine.flu.main/index.html

To be brief, more cases reported, even more suspected, many not even being examined, etc. Every measure is being taken to battle the flu - even taking measures to prevent a vengeful outbreak should the flu cease and then come back later on.

A full story on Hong Kong at the bottom where a hotel full of staff/guests are under quarantine. I didn't post any of the videos on any of this, you'll have to visit the link above to watch.

The number of confirmed cases of swine flu jumped to 1,025 on Monday, comprising 20 countries, the World Health Organization said.

In the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 286 confirmed cases across 36 states, 60 more cases than were confirmed the day before.

Many of the cases are among children; the median age is 16, said Dr. Richard Besser, acting director of the CDC. The youngest confirmed case is a 3-month-old, he said.

There are also more than 700 probable cases across 44 states, Besser said.

"This likely represents an underestimation of the total number of cases across the country," he said, because not everyone with flu-like symptoms goes to the doctor and gets tested.

The U.S. Department of Education said that 533 schools were shut Monday, about 100 more than Friday and about half of 1 percent of all schools in the United States. The closures affect about 330,000 students in 24 states.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. Marine Base at Twentynine Palms, north of Palm Springs, California, said two new cases of the flu were confirmed by the CDC. The two Marines show no symptoms but are being kept in isolation, spokeswoman Jennie Haskamp said. Previously, one other case was confirmed at the base.

The U.S. Defense Department also reported that a crew member stationed aboard the USS Dubuque in San Diego, California, was confirmed to have swine flu and is currently ashore. The department said there were 13 other "probable" cases among Dubuque personnel.

Even as health officials worldwide worked to battle the outbreak, intense efforts were under way to develop a vaccine -- with lessons from history in mind.

"In 1918, the Spanish flu showed a surge in the spring and then disappeared in the summer months, only to return in the autumn of 1918 with a vengeance," WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl said Sunday. "And we know that that eventually killed 40 million to 50 million people."

Health officials are not making such dire predictions in this case. And they can't know for certain whether the swine flu will make a big return later in the year.

Still, they're taking no chances.

In Hong Kong, about 200 hotel guests and 100 staff members at the Metropark Hotel remain under quarantine until Friday after health officials determined that a guest there had contracted the H1N1 virus.

We go down to the lobby for food and then back to the room to eat your food," said Leslie Carr, a British man who is one of the 300 stuck at the hotel. "Not many people are downstairs hanging around to talk or discuss anything."

China has denied discriminating against Mexicans, saying it is exercising proper precaution to prevent the spread of the virus.

Hong Kong, in particular, is extra careful after a SARS outbreak in 2003 killed almost 300 people.

"In view of the lack of data ... we have to be very cautious," said Yuen Kwok-Yung of Hong Kong University. "I believe that as time goes by, we can change our strategy."

I agree that this is just something that the media uses to raise ratings and keep people occupied. I mean I live in Wisconsin, US and they have even gone as far as closing schools because someone might have the swine flu. There is under 50 cases total last time I checked in WI yet the ERs are packed and they are closing schools. Does not make any sense to me. If you think about it where do those students you just let have the day off go? They go congregate at the mall in a more clustered place then school. That is just my 2 cents.

Morsoseth

Wanderer

Well everyone said we'd have a black president when pigs fly. 100 days into office..swine flu. Go figure.

The Instigator

Sorceror

It's funny how 1000 people get the swine flu and everyone wears face masks, yet millions get AIDS and no one wears a condom.

Fana

Wanderer

The Instigator;547213 said:
It's funny how 1000 people get the swine flu and everyone wears face masks, yet millions get AIDS and no one wears a condom.
Priceless..... you just became one of the greatest quoter author ive ever read....

Dollpartz

Squire

Kermit the frog died of swine flu this morning his last words were "that fuckin pig told me she was clean!!!!"

Fana

Wanderer

Dollpartz;548033 said:
Kermit the frog died of swine flu this morning his last words were "that fuckin pig told me she was clean!!!!"

he shouldve weared a condom :cool:

woodycook

Knight

fluffhead321;543407 said:
What are you thoughts on small pox then?

or

"In 1952, polio paralyzed more than 21,000 people.(2) In 2002, there were no cases of polio in the United States"

or

"In the 1920s, there were 100,000 to 200,000 cases of diphtheria each year and 13,000 people died from the disease.(2) In 2002, there was only one case of diphtheria in the United States"

or

"In the early 1940s, there was an average of 175,000 cases of pertussis (whooping cough) per year, resulting in the deaths of 8,000 children annually.(2) In 2002, 9,771 cases were reported."

or

"Before 1963, more than 3 million cases of measles and 500 deaths from measles were reported each year.(2) More than 90% of children had measles by age 15.(2) In 2002, there were 44 cases of measles"

or

"In the 1964-1965 epidemic, there were 12.5 million cases of rubella (German measles).(2) Of the 20,000 infants born with congenital rubella syndrome, 11,600 were deaf, 3,580 were blind, and 1,800 were mentally retarded as a result of the infection.(2) There were 9 cases of rubella in 2004 and only four cases of congenital rubella between 2001 and 2004"

or

The year is 1400, The setting is medieval Europe. Millions of people die from bubonic plague. Less than 200 people die a year from plague now. You know what? NO VACCINATIONS. You Fail - Try again for 50 cents.

woodycook;549919 said:
or

The year is 1400, The setting is medieval Europe. Millions of people die from bubonic plague. Less than 200 people die a year from plague now. You know what? NO VACCINATIONS. You Fail - Try again for 50 cents.

Sorry Plague vaccine is no longer available in the United States. To many people git sick and die from it.:eek: info from C.D.C.