UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Thanks to staff

Mitzlplik

Traveler
"and everything else they do"

Which aint much. One just needs to land on a shard with 500+,weekly updates,custom content and owner/staff daily interaction to realize how little there is to be enjoyed here and how long things stay painfully the same.

Just becuse a shard wants to stick to a particular era,should not mean no devolopment beyond that. Can we say STALE!?

MadeInQuebec

Forum Member of the Year 2008
While I am ok with light customization, it has to be kept rather plain, just a little bit of salt and pepper here and there but no more...

I have briefly played on heavy customized server, and the general feeling always becomes the same... "this is not the UO i used to play, and that I loved"

Customization should remain in events and stuff like that, but it needs to not affect the game itself, otherwise it's taking the first exit toward downfall.

MB

Knight
I have briefly played on heavy customized server, and the general feeling always becomes the same... "this is not the UO i used to play, and that I loved"

While we are in our early pre-alpha phase and slowly getting things done to be able to release Redacted to the wider audience, today , I would like to reveal what character creation process looks like on Redacted. Due to a strict one character per IP rule, we decided to make player characters very unique in terms of their goals, stats, professions etc. Redacted chracter creation process consits of 4 choices with tarot cards, something inspired by Ultima games. Four choices will allow players to choose from 20 different cards, giving in total 81 variants.

Previously, our char creation system involved abstract professions that would establish their starting stat and skills build. Now, however, you do not select your starting profession, as players will choose their craft later in game, Instead, players create their characters by choosing their:

Path (the path of Hermit, for instance, will open arcane-like professions to players)
Character's trait
Temperament (out of 4 different temperaments)
and character's Disposition (including Order and Chaos alighnments)

These choices will influence characters starting build as well as some of his/her in-game features, such as relations with NPC's of similar disposition etc.

We have ordered unique tarot cards for our project, which will soon replace the above place holders. Tarot cards are 3 fingers worth, which shows how miniacally dedicated we are to create the most revolutionary online RPG experience in history.

====================

It's lack of player's understanding, rather than the negative outcome of 1 character per IP ruleset. There are too many reasons why one character per IP will be enforced and almost nothing defending this (unbalanced economy which our real, stock market-inspired economic system won't afford, "secret" griefing characters, which our permadeath system won't afford, lack of proper RP, these are just few ideas why allowing several characters is something common yet completely detrimental to UO). If you worry that there won't be enough crafters or other professions to acquire certain services or goods from, then our economy will support NPC market. NPC's will be able to both produce and purchase but I will talk more about it in later posts.

Several characters per IP is like Trammel. It kind of solves one problem but adds thousands of other problems instead.

============

On Redacted having absolute classes will be a disadvantage for the most part. Most warriors will have some smithing or mining skills, for instance. That's what we estimate. It is not another 700/225 server nor it is a full skillcap server. This is a different project which will have a wide economic system, where everyone will be a part of the economy. There won't be a classic PvM/PvP classification concept. Crafters will be vulnerable to pirates/caravan robbers, for instance, so warrior guilds will have to protect them for a fee, which will create PvP, but not the way PvP works in UO (i.e. mindless two one drop sport activity).

===========

The way tarot cards are implemented is just four choices that players make upon character creation. Given that our client bypasses server choice and character on login and gets straight to character creation/world will make char creation process even more quicker. We want the character creation process to look more like destiny, not a doll factory. Plus the characters on Redacted won't consist solely of hit points, alightment and temperaments (humorism) in combination with professions make characters more interesting in terms how they will interact with the world.

Tiffy

Wanderer
While I am ok with light customization, it has to be kept rather plain, just a little bit of salt and pepper here and there but no more...

Agreed entirely.

I actually just spent some time looking at various other AoS+ freeshards out of curiosity. Absolutely every one that I visited has added stupid stuff or changed things in such a way that it essentially creates an environment that isn't UO. Demise is one of the very few, seemingly, which remains quite closely rooted to the UO core and I for one appreciate that very much.

Obviously that's not to say some minor customization or custom events aren't great things to have to keep people entertained, as long as it is true to spirit of UO and the time frame in which this server emulates. Just keep in mind many of us left official servers in the first place because EA's version of UO strayed too far from what UO was in many peoples' minds and I'd not like to see that happen here.

My shard exploration today has actually made me appreciate the stability and sensibleness of Demise a lot more.

silvertiger

Knight
I'm sorry, I never played the uo that you speak of. I'm sure I'm not the only one that when I/they were introduced to uo it was on a custom server. Even worse than that we played on an offline server with just 2 computers. So, in my opinion, if they started bringing out custom stuff, not over powered, I could see the shard sticking together, because we are a community.

kolbycrouch

Knight
People won't quit playing because of custom changes.

Because there is no place else to go. That's what nobody seems to get.

There is maybe a half-dozen UO free servers with enough of a community to satisfy even the average player.

4 out of these 6 are pre-aos servers, and people play there because that era is most popular.

2 out of these six are demise, and some other radical custom server with no skill caps etc.

For most players, demise is truly the last place to play this era of UO.

Mister Pink

Squire
Demise has been around for ages, and the slow changes are good for a casual, vet player like myself, but to prevent it from being "stale" for the everyday player more staff interaction, events are the way to go. I can understand why staff hates running them though. Too many people bitch and complain on this server. Try organizing something here and you'll see why we can't have nice things.

Custom content is ok if it's for a limited time. Ie Christmas town, Halloween town. When I experienced Halloween town for the first time, I loved it. I was a newer player at the time, and was mainly playing solo. It forced me to interact with others so I could beat the more challenging bosses. These type of events build the community.

I'm an advocate for more custom content, like a rare boss that drops items from events in the past or rare set pieces. I agree with most here though, other shards look silly because they added too much, especially stuff that has nothing to do with UO.

I've experienced some kick ass events elsewhere though. One being a two hour Britain event that allowed you to take possession of monsters and then you would rack up points by killing other player-controlled monsters. Best event I've ever played. Had that shard been in the same era of Demise, I might of stayed with it just for the events.

But to the OP, good on staff for doing an event.

Last edited: