UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

UO Gamers: Hybrid status update 11-23-05

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ryan

UO Gamers: Hybrid status update 11-23-05

I want to preface this post with saying this is not an attempt to scold our player base, or anyone at all this is simply me telling you all how I feel:

Why is it that every time the staff members of this shard decide to make a change, or do something to improve the shard we get backlash from our player base. UO Gamers: Hybrid is my server; I built this thing long before RunUO but most of you only found out about it after RunUO made it more popular.

In the course of running this shard it becomes necessary at times to make difficult decisions that are player base affecting. It’s never our intention to destroy something our players love, or wreck the game they have come to love. It is however our intention to add life to the shard at all times in the form of events and changes to make game play better. Right now we have found what we would consider to be some flaws in the shard and we are going to fix them. We are also looking at the bigger picture of the shard and are working to clean up some of the things that give it a bad image to incoming players. Yes that includes item’s that have the word “Fuck” in them. I’m not so much concerned about the shard looking “professional”. Anyone who claims that their “player run shard” is professional is just trying to use a term that might get them a few extra players. We do our best to ensure that game play is fair, players are treated with respect and that the staff don’t run themselves into the ground making this shard what it is today.

Yes I am going to be deleting items that pertain to “Trammies”, adding them to the world was MY mistake. I shouldn’t have done it but I am man enough to correct it, and take on any backlash I might get from it. You guys seem to miss the bigger picture of this shard, and that’s what I will never understand. This shard is about playing the game, its not about hoarding items, sucking up to staff or gaining power over each other… its about getting online and kicking the shit out of your friends, enemies or monsters for most… and for some others like me its about getting online grabbing a boat and a fishing pole and fishing for a few hours. We all have our vices in this game… things we love to do and there’s nothing wrong with that, but the mentality that you can hoard items all day long has to stop.

We can only grow so much… we can only support so many items. So yes, if I delete items to lower the item count it’s not because I want to screw someone over…. It’s because it is what is best for the shard. Like it or not that is the bottom line. I will always do what I perceive to be the best thing for the shard. Sure from time to time I will make a mistake and from time to time I’ll hit the nail on the head but I’ve been growing this era of UO Gamers: Hybrid for better than two years now and my track record speaks for itself. We are without question the largest player run shard ever. We will go down in the proverbial record book as the largest player run shard ever and that’s no small feat. We’ve put a lot of effort into building this shard, just as you have all put a lot of effort into playing this shard.

I’ve spoken with a lot of shard members over the last couple of days, and I know you guys don’t want to see a shard wipe. I’ve got mixed emotions on it. I would LOVE to wipe the shard and start clean in some aspects but in others… not so much. So since you guys as a whole don’t want to start over (and there’s nothing wrong with that) we are going to have to do some item cleanups. We cannot push our hardware any further. We are working our asses off and I am putting EVERY SPARE DIME I have into getting us a server with 16 gigs of RAM to prolong our lifeline but until I do that, and arrange for our Level 3 colocation we are stuck with what we have. Right now we have very limited room to grow and I am trying to ensure the longevity of the shard.

Hate my decision if you want. You’re welcome to your own opinion on the matter… I am not looking for anyone to kiss my ass and tell me how good of a job I am doing, nor am I looking for any flames to tell me how badly I am doing. I want everyone to be happy, even though its not a realistic goal I really do. However I am going to have to do the best I can and just keep on doing what it is I do in order to prolong the life of our shard. If you don’t like it you’re welcome to find a new home and I wish you the best… but the fact is you will never find a shard that is run to the level we run this one. UO Gamers: Hybrid really is number one for a reason… that reason is our dedicated staff who bust their ever loving asses day in and day out. Our players love for us to inflate their ego’s telling them that the reason we are so good is because of them, but frankly that’s just not the absolute truth. Without the staff of this shard doing the events they do, programming the features they do and maintaining the server to the level we do this shard would never have gotten to the point it is at today. It all started as a dream in our minds, and we let everyone else go along for the ride.

Temper my statements with the understanding that you guys are what make this shard enjoyable for us (well most of you anyway). Your support is what keeps this shard running and you are what bring in, or force to leave our new players. We are well past the stage of the staff having to advertise for players to come to Hybrid, the only way to get, and retain new players is for our player base to tell their friends, family and anyone else that will listen about us, take the time to show them how to get on the shard, and then make the game something they want to play. We can no longer do that piece, that piece is now your responsibility… and that responsibility is one a lot of you don’t handle very well.

Someone made the comment that it sounds like I am burnt out… well that’s not the truth, in fact far from it. I love this server, I have been doing this for almost a decade of my life now and I really think this proves that we as a team (the developers of RunUO and the staff of this shard) know how to build a solid community. We are not perfect but I am tired of sitting back and seeing our players pretend that they are perfect. If you guys were perfect this shard would not have a single square inch to move.

It’s time for some changes on Hybrid. These changes will be a good thing, they will clean up the image a bit, and they will allow you to play this game a little better. Gone are the days of the quick tempered bans… Zippy killing players for no reason and the general other stupid things our staff do. Gone are the days of handing out “3000 online robes” or “Fuck Trammies” gear…. It’s time for a facelift of sorts and you have a choice from this day forward of continuing to be a part of something great or move on to something else…

The choice is yours. You take the path of being with us, and continue to play the best shard ever created, or you take the path of not being with us (notice I did not say “against us”) and go somewhere else, or find something else to do.

I leave you to your choice, and hope to see you soon…

Warm Regards,
Ryan

Nephtyes

Sorceror
Re: UO Gamers: Hybrid status update 11-23-05

Once again thank you for your hard work and dedication staff! Im really looking forward to the new changes!

well ryan what to say? i (and im sure many other players) were waiting for the "promised" CUB event. we could of thrown out our items ourselves as u said and get some rewards (3houses, not much item count at all) i really dont see why would u just wipe items that ppl payer their gold for. and y delete specific items??? i just say wipe the shard completely or nothing at all. this is not a flame, im just surprised by what you are doing...

_Choru_

Master of the Interweb

If the shard stays alive thats all that really matters.

GJ!

Jarad

Wanderer

Amen Ryan! Delete all the fuck trammie shit noone needs it anyway!

NASTY_DEVILx said:
posted by some random guy who never had an item...
Get over it, he doesn't need to explain himself any further. He's sorry if you're devestated but that won't change what's happening for the good of the shard.

Fedorov

Knight

Whatever happens, happens. I'll still be PKing with 10 other people every day here. I wouldnt care even if you wiped the shard (that would actually be pretty nice...)

R

Ryan

NASTY_DEVILx said:
posted by some random guy who never had an item...

You're beginning to piss me off.

I'm not deleting everything you have, I'm deleting the "Trammies" gear.

Get over yourself.

Your tantrums are useless.

Minimejgd

Wanderer

Ryan said:

Get over yourself.

How bout teh snow ryan...i just had to go outside to help a fedex dude...fuckin white shit is ragin me.

Lynyrd

Knight

It's just nice to have a blessed lantern to cancel "oops" spells.

Ryan said:

Get over yourself.

i dont have any gear with trammy in it after i got hacked (no staff helped me, but who cares) im just surprised that u only delete those... i mean lanterns were selling for 760k a week ago. just do a complete wipe...

true dragon

Wanderer

Yah its no everything we have. How can you say that? Many pepople have trammies how they're majority itens

Status
Not open for further replies.