UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Update on new hardware

Aliss

Sorceror
Re: Update on new hardware

hell ya its nice and sweet!!! =)
nice work to Ryan and all the admin, gms and everyone who contribute to this shard!

Unred

Sorceror

8 300GB SCSI Drives? Last I heard the UOGamers server took up 6gb.. What are you going to do with 2.4 Terabytes? IMO, waste of money...

Unred said:
8 300GB SCSI Drives? Last I heard the UOGamers server took up 6gb.. What are you going to do with 2.4 Terabytes? IMO, waste of money...

They use it for more than just UO?

_Choru_

Master of the Interweb

Unred said:

Good thing its not your money then huh.

R

Ryan

Unred said:
Always good to know our donations are being wasted :D

In all actuality it just goes to show you have no idea what you're talking about.

The cost of the 300 gig drives is actually negligible when pricing out the system. What we were looking for is the raid array to have a lot of spindles for the "Shard Drive" if you will. Why you ask... well we wanted to maximum amount of speed we could get out of the data array thus allowing us to improve things such as save times (which are disk I/O dependant). Once they are spread out we can start doing things like moving the SQL Server for MyUOG and other things onto that server allowing us to more quickly dump data (even though we are gigabit) to the SQL Store.

Couple that with the ever growing size of the world (which is now ~7 gigs) multiplied by the 10 backup archive on hand (thats 70 gigs) multiplied by how many days we would like to archive the backups (in theory we'd love to archive for ever but its not feasible) we can archive now a long way out.

Of course I dont have to justify our hardware choice to you, you think you know everything about how UO Gamers runs obviously but I just wanted to let the other users know that the entire array will be used.

Keep in mind we log EVERYTHING that happens on this server our log directory at my last check was over 100 gigs and its purged often ;) We log speech, commands and every single thing that happens with our staff. There's never a question :)

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan said:
In all actuality it just goes to show you have no idea what you're talking about.

The cost of the 300 gig drives is actually negligible when pricing out the system. What we were looking for is the raid array to have a lot of spindles for the "Shard Drive" if you will. Why you ask... well we wanted to maximum amount of speed we could get out of the data array thus allowing us to improve things such as save times (which are disk I/O dependant). Once they are spread out we can start doing things like moving the SQL Server for MyUOG and other things onto that server allowing us to more quickly dump data (even though we are gigabit) to the SQL Store.

Couple that with the ever growing size of the world (which is now ~7 gigs) multiplied by the 10 backup archive on hand (thats 70 gigs) multiplied by how many days we would like to archive the backups (in theory we'd love to archive for ever but its not feasible) we can archive now a long way out.

Of course I dont have to justify our hardware choice to you, you think you know everything about how UO Gamers runs obviously but I just wanted to let the other users know that the entire array will be used.

Keep in mind we log EVERYTHING that happens on this server our log directory at my last check was over 100 gigs and its purged often ;) We log speech, commands and every single thing that happens with our staff. There's never a question :)

Thanks,
Ryan

owned.
+1

Good work Ryan.<3