UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Update on new hardware

Re: Update on new hardware

Ryan said:
Priced on Dell's site at around $24,000 :)

jesus, 2k would get me outa debt, pay my bills, and help me get my car fixed so i could get a job...

Where do you get all this money ryan? i know its not all donations....

Sammich

Wanderer
Hey, could we get a complete rundown on what we are using at the moment, and what it will be used for in the fututre?

qopempire

Wanderer

we need to start boasting or advertising how big our shards e-peen is now. How will "we" afford 1k a month>?

Ryan said:
Our new server is the Dell 2800 featuring Dual Processor Dual Core Dual Xeon 2.8, 12 gigs of memory, 2 x 73 SCSI OS drives (Raid 1) HOT SWAP, and 8 300 GB SCSI HOT SWAP Raid. Priced on Dell's site at around $24,000 :)

Just FYI to those of you who like to donate ;)

The server should be in and up within the month.

We will update you when we have a more definative timeline. :)

The swap should be seamless.

I have a suggestion, please read it the whole way through, and then decide your judgemnets.

First of all, To Ryan, and the staff who was on the ground floor of creating this wonderful shard, to the people who are running it in the shards golden age, thank you, for all your diligent support, in bringing alive this hobby and favorite game we all sorley missed ever since EA fucked us all over with trammel.

When I first started playing, I didn't want to get my hopes up, my mind thought something like, "could this be, no way, could this, UO is back, no way,is UO really back from when I remembered it at its best glory days?"

Luckily, that question was answered a few days later, as the shard persisted, and I fell in the love with the game which I stayed up to the wee hours playing, my face glued to the monitor, caught in a world of magic and sorcery, evil misdeeds, and the playerbase seems to be credited with very mischevious people who pull schemes and truly live their own virtual life as they see fit. Whether to be a con artist, a murderer, or have a family, UO was a great game before trammel, and Ryan, Krrious, the entire RunUO team understood this, and made this wonderful shard. I feel very fortuante to share the same feelings as the RunUO team. You guys deeply care about Ultima Online just like I do, you have an incredible lust of addiction, and a thirst for slaying in this excellent iso-metric 2d environment. My heartfelt thanks goes out to all of you from the bottom of my heart, over-pouring with praise. I love you guys :)

With that out of the way, I would like to address more practical concerns of this shard. With the donations set up, you guys have turned your hobby into a not-for-profit business venture. I think it would help the players if you put the maintence costs month to month and a complete balance sheet of all the finances that go along with the shard. I think, at least to the educated players, will help us better assist the staff in donation giving. Also, if you ever find yourself in a crisis, you can point to the numbers you posted, and the players on the forum could actually come up with a rational solution. Were all in this together. If expenses got too high, I for one, would not mind paying a mnothly subscription to UOG, your server is simply the best, hands down. If you could give the playes a little insight into what goes on behind the scenes to make the shard run, I think it would be interesting.

Ryan, you are all about Frank honesty. Why not post all the numbers and costs of your hobby to the forum. I think we would all like to know how many donations you are recieving, and more importantly, are, our, donations covering the costs month to month, or do you have to pay out of your pocket?

Discuss
-The Dirty Jacker

uolamerdev

Sorceror

I agree with Playa Inc's idea. I am fairly new to this shard, and I won't be playing as many hours as I did back in my old OSI times, yet I do feel right at home on this shard, and I know it will be lots of fun. This in no small part due to the fairly high population of the shard and the fairly high amount of activity going on most of the time. It is truly as active as any OSI shard I can remember. This being said, high activity means more requirements for hardware / bandwidth / maintenance / support, etc. which only means higher costs and more work for the staff. I would hate to see such a nice shard go down the drain due to lack of funds, and doomed by it's own popularity.

That being said, at this point I do not know if the administration of shard is braking even, losing money, or making money. Given that we all paid at least $10 a month to play on OSI, and this shard is as active as theirs, and with a better ruleset, I for one do not mind ocassionally making a donation, when the donation in fact also helps me with my in-game goals. I also would like to point out that I have never paid for online game items before, but since this shard is free, and the purchase money goes to the staff to run the shard, I would not mind it at all. I do not fell that this is in no way like buying OSI items from other players on ebay.

In order for players to understand what is going on, and make better decisions regarding their donations, I think Playa Inc's idea is very good. If we know where the shard stands financially, we will know if we need to contribute more in order to keep it afloat. You run the shard, and own the hardware, but we all use it, and I think we should all do our part in keeping it afloat. If we know the exact details, we can more accurately assist on this part.

Please, staff members, and Ryan particularly, let us know how you feel about this.

Thanks in advance.