UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Update on new hardware!

R

Ryan

Re: Update on new hardware!

The current server will be going to UO Gamers: Demise as it is now the 2nd largest Freeshard out there ;)

charliechen

Wanderer

Im looking at the specs of the new hardware and something came to my attention. Isnt Hyperthread 3.2 higher than 2.8, and is dual 1000 mbit network ports faster than single gigabit port? again im an idiot so dont flame me please it sorta just confused me but i can tell that the gigs and ddr2 is better than the old one hehe i just cant tell the others if they are better or not.

Dual Processor, Dual Core, Hyperthreaded Intel Xeon 2.8 Processors (4 physical 4 virtual for total of 8 cpus)
12 GIG's of DDR2 RAM
2 73 gig 15k RPM SCSI drives for the OS in RAID 1
8 300 gig 10k RPM SCSI drives for the data in RAID 5
Dual 1000 Mbit Network Ports.

Current Server:
Dual Xeon, Hyperthreaded 3.2
8 gigs of DDR RAM
5 73 gig 10k RPM drives in RAID 5
Single gigabit port

Terron

Knight

Ryan said:
The current server will be going to UO Gamers: Demise as it is now the 2nd largest Freeshard out there ;)
you mean my new irc server

demise is :gay:

Terron

Knight

Wormie said:
Im looking at the specs of the new hardware and something came to my attention. Isnt Hyperthread 3.2 higher than 2.8, and is dual 1000 mbit network ports faster than single gigabit port? again im an idiot so dont flame me please it sorta just confused me but i can tell that the gigs and ddr2 is better than the old one hehe i just cant tell the others if they are better or not.

Dual Processor, Dual Core, Hyperthreaded Intel Xeon 2.8 Processors (4 physical 4 virtual for total of 8 cpus)
12 GIG's of DDR2 RAM
2 73 gig 15k RPM SCSI drives for the OS in RAID 1
8 300 gig 10k RPM SCSI drives for the data in RAID 5
Dual 1000 Mbit Network Ports.

Current Server:
Dual Xeon, Hyperthreaded 3.2
8 gigs of DDR RAM
5 73 gig 10k RPM drives in RAID 5
Single gigabit port

3.2 > 2.8
(8 * 2.8) > (4 * 3.2)

Dual gigabit ethernet isn't relevant since we use the second port for management; no port teaming (yet)

charliechen

Wanderer

ic ic thanks for explaining it to me. i was sorta confused hehe. so how much ping do you think this well reduce? oh and when is the server going to go down, and how long will it be down for?

uolamerdev

Sorceror

I would assume ping will remain same as the internet connection will be the same and the Network interface card also will also be the same. Maybe when they do add both cards for load balancing you will see a difference in ping. The only way the server itself would improve ping, would be if the server was so overwhelmed that there was actual hardware driver slowdown (like when you totally mess up your PC and the mouse either stops moving or skips all over due to the processor being at max). In the case when something like this was happening on the server end, you would perceive it as getting stuck when trying to move, and it should be equally bad for everyone connected, not just you.

R

Ryan

Just got a call from my account manager, unfortunately the servers will not be online until Monday due to complications with racking them. Evidentally they weigh well over 125 pounds!!

Shadown420

Wanderer

Terron said:
3.2 > 2.8
(8 * 2.8) > (4 * 3.2)

Dual gigabit ethernet isn't relevant since we use the second port for management; no port teaming (yet)

Can the drives, even in raid, write as fast as a 2gb connection could download data, or read as fast as it could upload?

R

Ryan

Shadown said:
Can the drives, even in raid, write as fast as a 2gb connection could download data, or read as fast as it could upload?

The only time the drives are used would be during swapping or world saves :)

charliechen

Wanderer

does that mean reduced time for world saves? ^_^

just got my chinese new year money! donations here i come =)

Lynyrd

Knight

does no one ever play games on these things before they are put into permenant use?

Lynyrd said:
does no one ever play games on these things before they are put into permenant use?
it probably doesn't run windows...or if it does, not a version that would support games?

uolamerdev

Sorceror

If it's a Dell, they usually do bring windows. 2003 to be more exact. Not sure if they even have other OS's available. And given that it's a server, I don't think the standard Linux drivers will be good enough to run all the special devices, so if Dell won't make the drivers for Linux, you may be stuck with Windows. Now, about playing, unfortunately, these servers usually have a very weak video card, as gaming is not their purpose. Oh, and They ARE very heavy. I have rack-mounted about 20 servers, and even the Dell 2650's, which is the second thinest ones can be a pain if you are mounting on a very high rack spot, even if you are doing it between 2 or 3 people. I mounted a few of them about 8 - 10 feet up in a co-location, very hard between a group of 4 guys and 2 ladders in the cage.

Dependable

Wanderer

Ryan said:
Just got a call from my account manager, unfortunately the servers will not be online until Monday due to complications with racking them. Evidentally they weigh well over 125 pounds!!
Tell them to raise their strength or to buy a beetle if they're at statcap, beetles can carry 1600 stones... :rolleyes: ... j/k

gret job upgrading the thing Ryan, you know we <3 you.