UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Would you like to see factions reset?

Would you like to see factions reset?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusO

Sorceror
Re: Would you like to see factions reset?

I played factions hard on OSI for two years. I remember the huge battles trying to get into each of the faction bases. It was fun because there were so many players. Are there enough people on UOG to support 4 factions? I don't think so. Anyway, here's a couple of suggestions...

1. Bring back recall. One of the reasons I don't play factions is I don't dare get on my player and go looking for a 1v1 or fellow factioners because chances are I'll run into a gank squad. I know it's frustrating to see orange and have him (or her) recall out, but without the option for consenual pvp, many choose to opt out. Perhaps try adding in recall and see if it helps increase faction numbers.

2. Most people I talk to hate the tithe for faction controlled towns. Code should be added so that only faction players pay it. If you're not in factions it's transparent to you. Then factioners can boost their silver by buying shit, as opposed to trying (and failing) to draw it from commoners.

Megumi

Wanderer

MarcusO;1439947 said:
I played factions hard on OSI for two years. I remember the huge battles trying to get into each of the faction bases. It was fun because there were so many players. Are there enough people on UOG to support 4 factions? I don't think so. Anyway, here's a couple of suggestions...

1. Bring back recall. One of the reasons I don't play factions is I don't dare get on my player and go looking for a 1v1 or fellow factioners because chances are I'll run into a gank squad. I know it's frustrating to see orange and have him (or her) recall out, but without the option for consenual pvp, many choose to opt out. Perhaps try adding in recall and see if it helps increase faction numbers.

By joining factions you're consenting to pvp. If you'd played factions here during the pre-call days, you'd understand exactly why that change was put in. It's not HARD to get away from a gank if you're smart about it.

MarcusO;1439947 said:
2. Most people I talk to hate the tithe for faction controlled towns. Code should be added so that only faction players pay it. If you're not in factions it's transparent to you. Then factioners can boost their silver by buying shit, as opposed to trying (and failing) to draw it from commoners.

The faction tiethe rate has nothing to do with town prices. The tithe rate is a portion of the silver from your kills going into the faction coffers.
What you're thinking of are the taxes placed upon towns by the Finance Ministers. This is so the town can generate silver to allow things like the placement of vendors and guards. This is usually a temporary thing which ceases once enough silver to maintain vendors for a long period of time is collected.
If it was changed so as to only effect factioners, the -30% would also be changed, removing the possibility for blues to get cheaper goods... They would complain about this. There are several non-faction towns that you can use while all are at +300%... Runes to these towns can be found at the Tessa's Cove Rune Library.

Jame?

Wanderer

MarcusO;1439947 said:
1. One of the reasons I don't play factions is I don't dare get on my player and go looking for a 1v1 or fellow factioners because chances are I'll run into a gank squad.

Factions are not for 1v1's... thats what the duel pits are for.

MarcusO

Sorceror

DementedJester;1440023 said:
By joining factions you're consenting to pvp. If you'd played factions here during the pre-call days, you'd understand exactly why that change was put in. It's not HARD to get away from a gank if you're smart about it..

I guess my question is: Are there more or less people in factions with recall gone? If there's more, then it was a good change, even if it's the reason I quit factions. My view is it's too hard to meet new fellow factioners without getting ganked.

DementedJester;1440023 said:
The faction tiethe rate has nothing to do with town prices. The tithe rate is a portion of the silver from your kills going into the faction coffers.
What you're thinking of are the taxes placed upon towns by the Finance Ministers. This is so the town can generate silver to allow things like the placement of vendors and guards. This is usually a temporary thing which ceases once enough silver to maintain vendors for a long period of time is collected.
If it was changed so as to only effect factioners, the -30% would also be changed, removing the possibility for blues to get cheaper goods... They would complain about this. There are several non-faction towns that you can use while all are at +300%... Runes to these towns can be found at the Tessa's Cove Rune Library.

Yeah...I was thinking about the taxes, which suck because they make all the best town vendors (Brit, Trin, Skara,...) unusable for the MAJORITY of the population. I go to Serpent's Hold and Nuj all the time now. I don't even bother to look at the overpriced vendors in the factions towns. Folks I talk to hate it because they can't shop in what they call their "home town". Oh well.

MarcusO;1439947 said:
1. Bring back recall. One of the reasons I don't play factions is I don't dare get on my player and go looking for a 1v1 or fellow factioners because chances are I'll run into a gank squad. I know it's frustrating to see orange and have him (or her) recall out, but without the option for consenual pvp, many choose to opt out.

I feel like its an R. Kelly trial... rofl

I never saw the point in factions, since it KILLED war guilds and CHaos Order, nearly completely killed it on osi Atlantic (of course UOR helped a lot).

At any event, war guilds and Chaos Order is far better than factions IMHO, and I think factions should be removed or a war guild/chaos/order/semi faction system be created, something unique.

I always felt factions was redundant since Order/Chaos/War Guilds in general existed. Rather than factions, there should have just been additions/tweak to current war system.

Megumi

Wanderer

MarcusO;1440124 said:
I guess my question is: Are there more or less people in factions with recall gone? If there's more, then it was a good change, even if it's the reason I quit factions. My view is it's too hard to meet new fellow factioners without getting ganked.

Bringing back precalling might result in a few more people factioning... but it wouldn't help the faction pvp at all. Look at how certain people in factions pvp, go read the faction threads about people dodging even number fights and suchlike... Now imagine if they could just recall.
It would be fucking terrible.

MarcusO;1440124 said:
Yeah...I was thinking about the taxes, which suck because they make all the best town vendors (Brit, Trin, Skara,...) unusable for the MAJORITY of the population. I go to Serpent's Hold and Nuj all the time now. I don't even bother to look at the overpriced vendors in the factions towns. Folks I talk to hate it because they can't shop in what they call their "home town". Oh well.

One of each recall reag to go to serpent's hold to do your shopping is not too difficult, right?

MarcusO

Sorceror

DementedJester;1441063 said:
Bringing back precalling might result in a few more people factioning... but it wouldn't help the faction pvp at all. Look at how certain people in factions pvp, go read the faction threads about people dodging even number fights and suchlike... Now imagine if they could just recall. It would be fucking terrible.

On OSI, factions were not about ganking some loner (though it was fun) or fighting a 4 vs 4 (also fun), factions were about capturing and defending the sigils at the home base. Shadowlords could sit up top and MS those down below. Minax trapped the shit outta their entrance, TB could defend in multiple places, and COM, well they got fucked regularly :)

My take on UOG factions [just my opinion] is that they are arbitrarily skewed toward guilds, mostly due to no recall. How can a lone player hope to join? Note that there's no recall from a faction base for a reason...to promote defense. Removing recall in the field cripples faction members from finding each other.

I think more should be done to promote capturing and defending sigils. It's what differentiates factions. I have some ideas but I'm not sure how they'd be coded. For example, faction players should get rewards for stealing sigils and defending them, or fighting near a base where many are defending. This is what needs to be promoted, and it all works well with recall in the field.

If you need a fight, go to the duel pit. If you need a gank, join with other reds and go gank some blues. If you need an organized fight, make a guild go chaos and war everyone. But please don't confuse field fights with factions. Factions are like a modified real-time CTF IMO. And that's where the focus should be.

DementedJester;1441063 said:
One of each recall reag to go to serpent's hold to do your shopping is not too difficult, right?

Wrong. The lesser towns are not nearly stocked as well as the main towns. There's fewer vendors and everyone (yes...everyone) is driven to them. It mostly fucks up BODs. I'm not looking for sympathy here. I'm just saying that they might as well DELETE ALL TOWN VENDORS when a factions boost the taxes, because the majority of the players sure aren't using them.

Havok-hybrid

Sorceror

factions would be fucking lame is you could recall after engaged in combat. L A M E so stfu fucking scrub.

Megumi

Wanderer

MarcusO;1441874 said:
On OSI, factions were not about ganking some loner (though it was fun) or fighting a 4 vs 4 (also fun), factions were about capturing and defending the sigils at the home base. Shadowlords could sit up top and MS those down below. Minax trapped the shit outta their entrance, TB could defend in multiple places, and COM, well they got fucked regularly :)

My take on UOG factions [just my opinion] is that they are arbitrarily skewed toward guilds, mostly due to no recall. How can a lone player hope to join? Note that there's no recall from a faction base for a reason...to promote defense. Removing recall in the field cripples faction members from finding each other.

I think more should be done to promote capturing and defending sigils. It's what differentiates factions. I have some ideas but I'm not sure how they'd be coded. For example, faction players should get rewards for stealing sigils and defending them, or fighting near a base where many are defending. This is what needs to be promoted, and it all works well with recall in the field.

Very few people care about towns due to various changes implimented over the past couple of years. There have been attempts made to fix this but none of them have really worked long time... There are people who defend bases occassionally but for the most part, it's not worth the time and effort.

However, if alot of changes were undone... things like reinstating guard turrets, making faction traps, weapons, armor and warhorses like they were on OSI... lowering the time it takes to corrupt a sigil etc. It might be some incentive to guard. Also, I'd suggest changing the area of effect damage hitting friendlies inside faction bases so we can't run in an EQ each other on alt faction chars... Basically, a return to how things were in 2004, before we tried to "improve" factions... Aa for recall, with how people pvp now on gamers i don't think it would work. I know it sucks to be 2v3ing some guys and have them call in 4 more (making it 2v7) but that's where the fun in factions really is.

MarcusO;1441874 said:
If you need a fight, go to the duel pit. If you need a gank, join with other reds and go gank some blues. If you need an organized fight, make a guild go chaos and war everyone. But please don't confuse field fights with factions. Factions are like a modified real-time CTF IMO. And that's where the focus should be.

Who are you in game?
Are you Lord British?
Are you the sort of player who can really be saying what specific elements of pvp should be about?
Freedom of choice is what makes UO worth playing. When you try to add in rules and take away people's abilities to do what they want... You're taking a step towards trammel.

MarcusO;1441874 said:
Wrong. The lesser towns are not nearly stocked as well as the main towns. There's fewer vendors and everyone (yes...everyone) is driven to them. It mostly fucks up BODs. I'm not looking for sympathy here. I'm just saying that they might as well DELETE ALL TOWN VENDORS when a factions boost the taxes, because the majority of the players sure aren't using them.

The reason the lesser towns are "not as well stocked" is because not many people sack-up and use them. They'd rather come onto the forums and cry about the prices in "main towns". If you have a problem with the taxes a faction is placing on towns, then make a faction guild and take the towns away from them.

Jenova-gl

Sorceror

Absolutely. I was in favor a faction wipe over a year ago and its needed even moreso now. Point totals are out of control right now, basically every decent factioner that plays has at least 100 points. Way too many points are in circulation due to repeated abuse of the system for the last two years. There is also tons of long gone characters and guilds idle in each faction.

Wiping factions has a lot of potential benefits. First, it could completely mix things up. I think most guilds would take the chance to move to another faction. Second, it would restart the faction points system and make it actually have meaning. Right now points are extremely bloated. Points being reset could possibly make topping the leaderboards a fun challenge again, and give people more incentive to play. Third, I believe it could spark some actual basefighting since everything would be fresh. It might not last, but even if for the first few weeks people cared about towns it'd be cool. And lastly, given the freshness of factions and each faction forming new communities, it could possibly encourage some faction unity.

If a faction wipe were to happen I think a few other key things should be done as well:

Silver wipe

Faction weapons should become unfactioned

All existing faction related items such as faction trap deeds and warhorses should be wiped.

Factions should continue to be restored to the original settings as intended in a few past publishes (restoring faction weapon and armor prices to normal for example).

The point atrophy system should be reworked, IMO. Point atrophy was definitely a needed change when implemented, however instead of removing points from the system it redistributes them randomly to active factioners. It'd be better if it just removed the points from the system to keep point totals in check. Randomly logging on with 10 extra points for no reason at all hurts the overall faction experience.

ps. I pvped with federov last night, damn that guy sucks a mean cock. Best blowjob i've ever had, hes got his technique down and everything, doesnt use no teeth or nothin'

Steve Zissou

Sorceror

point atrophy definatly needs reworking, i had a Minax alchy dexer long ago that for a few weeks did nothing but die every so often, but somehow went from 10-80 points from dying...that cant be right.

MarcusO

Sorceror

Havok-hybrid;1441877 said:
factions would be fucking lame is you could recall after engaged in combat. L A M E so stfu fucking scrub.

I doubt explaining it to you will do any good, but here goes...

IMO factions is mostly a fancy CTF. Nv1 ganks (though they have always occurred as a side-effect in factions) are also part of Red vs Blue and Guild Wars. So IMO recall in the field should be allowed. Again, this is just my opinion (I spelled it out for you), so you can stfu you ridiculous obnoxious retard.

MarcusO

Sorceror

DementedJester;1442176 said:
However, if alot of changes were undone...

Yeah...like bring recall in the field back, if after careful review it turns out faction participation declined after the change was made. If factions are up without recall then leave it out. I did my 2+ years in factions on OSI, so I'm fine with not playing here under the current ruleset.

You're taking a step towards trammel.

This is a lame nebulous statement. How?

If you have a problem with the taxes a faction is placing on towns, then make a faction guild and take the towns away from them.

You've got a good point here. But it's too much work to do what you ask. So I'll just voice my opinion and say the taxes suck for the MAJORITY of OTHER players. I know you don't care.

Megumi

Wanderer

MarcusO;1444011 said:
Yeah...like bring recall in the field back, if after careful review it turns out faction participation declined after the change was made. If factions are up without recall then leave it out. I did my 2+ years in factions on OSI, so I'm fine with not playing here under the current ruleset.

Fine, enjoy getting ganked by WKD.

MarcusO;1444011 said:
This is a lame nebulous statement. How?

Consensual pvp.
I don't see how that was hazey at all... Nice use of nebulous though.

MarcusO;1444011 said:
You've got a good point here. But it's too much work to do what you ask. So I'll just voice my opinion and say the taxes suck for the MAJORITY of OTHER players. I know you don't care.

It's too much work to recall to a different town to buy reags?
Thanks for epitomising one of the major problems possessed by the UOGamers: Hybrid population; "I'd rather cry on the forums and whine for changes than find a way to adapt around my problems."

MarcusO

Sorceror

DementedJester;1444124 said:
Fine, enjoy getting ganked by WKD.

Huh? Are you venting here? Do I detect a bit of misdirected angst?

Consensual pvp. I don't see how that was hazey at all... Nice use of nebulous though.

Trammel is worse than consenual pvp...it's "no" pvp, and I hated it then and hate it now. I think it wrecked OSI UO more than anything else. But I also think pvp does need a consenual element, otherwise it declines because the skittish can't test the waters. For example, reds were allowed into towns and pvp declined. Recall was removed, and factions declined (I think). When you remove the option of escape, you're left with hardcore gank mongers like you seem to be. The concept of "finish the kill" is slowly killing UOG pvp...IMO. At the very least it's thinning the pvp ranks to only those hardcore experts. The rest of the players sit on the sideline. It's okay if you don't have any vision of how to grow factions player base.

It's too much work to recall to a different town to buy reags? Thanks for epitomising one of the major problems possessed by the UOGamers: Hybrid population; "I'd rather cry on the forums and whine for changes than find a way to adapt around my problems."

Er...taxes were a big issue on OSI shards. Every non-faction player hated taxes, and it made them hate factions before they even tried them. Nice use of epitomizing though :)

Havok-hybrid

Sorceror

MarcusO;1444166 said:
For example, reds were allowed into towns and pvp declined. Recall was removed, and factions declined (I think). When you remove the option of escape, you're left with hardcore gank mongers like you seem to be. The concept of "finish the kill" is slowly killing UOG pvp...IMO. At the very least it's thinning the pvp ranks to only those hardcore experts. The rest of the players sit on the sideline. It's okay if you don't have any vision of how to grow factions player base.

im pretty sure there was more pvp when reds were allowed in towns. As for recalling in factions goes, im sure most of the playerbase would not want recall in.

MarcusO

Sorceror

Havok-hybrid;1444193 said:
im sure most of the playerbase would not want recall in.

I agree with you if you are talking about the existing faction playerbase. But I thought the idea here was to figure a way to get more folks to join factions? That's why I suggested recall be put back in, and maybe make a few other changes. If I'm wrong about the concept of this thread then I apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.