UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Zeroing Pets

Ghost Knight

Sorceror
I saw someone mentioning killing a bonded mare down to zero. Can someone explain what this is all about? I recently tamed a nice mare and want to train it right! Thanks!

Paracelsus

Sorceror
To train difficult skill faster. If you target at 7x the mare, you should zero it. If not, depending on what level you want. Need to know the magic level to tell train directly or zero then train is more cost and time effective.

People may argue it takes time to zero the pet and train resist from 0 to GM. I cannot give you all the real figure I have. But I can disclose the partial data. Anyway, enough to tell you why zeroing is better.

zeroing then train
1. zeroing : ~0.5-1 hr
2. resist (GM): ~10 hr
3. magery (GM): Time(zero.gm.magery)
4. melee (GM): (time not relevant as more or less the same)

train directly (fresh tamed mare, not field trained mare)
1. zeroing : 0 hr
2. resist (GM): 0 hr (since very difficult to train, I simply give up measuring it)
3. magery (GM): 205% x Time(zero.gm.magery)
4. melee (GM): (time not relevant as more or less the same)

time difference (zeroing vs train directly)
1. zeroing : 0.5-1 hr more
2. resist (GM): ~10 hr more
3. magery (GM): 105% x Time(zero.gm.magery)
4. melee (GM): (more or less the same)

So, zeroing takes 11 hours more and saves 105% x Time (zero.gm.magery).

If the time to train the mare magery is more than 11 hour, zeroing saves time. And I can tell you no matter what methods you are using, the time to train the mare magery >> 11 hour.

Wish it can help.

WarEagle

Page
Zeroing a pet definitely helps, like Para was saying. I might be wrong, but it sounds like you're unsure of how to actually do it (if not, hopefully it helps someone going forward).

Like your characters, your pets skills raise faster when their total is low. Bonded pets lose Skill Points every time they die. The act of "zeroing" is simply killing them over and over until all their skills are zero.

Also worth noting, you won't see 0.0 when you lore them, but instead the double dashes "--".

Paracelsus

Sorceror
Side note:

The objective of zeroing is to let the pet has the minimal total skill. So, the difficult skill should be trained first which can then go up faster. The easiest skill should be trained last. Like player, the hardest skill should be resist then magery. The easiest skill are melee.

When you are zeroing the pet, you should ensure all MELEE skill go zero. So, the final stage of the zeroing should avoid any physical touch while killing the pet. If you zero it by melee, you may have a few points in melee and never go absolute zero. The sum of the few points from all melee skill may cause you half to a few hours more in training time depending on the training method you use.

Mondaine

Sorceror
i accidently let my pets melee for a few seconds and now wrestling is at 26.2, tactics at 10.5 and anatomy at 10.4. do you thinks thats a problem or are the melee-skills not high enough to be worried about??

WarEagle

Page
i accidently let my pets melee for a few seconds and now wrestling is at 26.2, tactics at 10.5 and anatomy at 10.4. do you thinks thats a problem or are the melee-skills not high enough to be worried about??

how high are their mage/resist?

and while we're on the topic, i definitely recommend having someone with discord to keep your pets under the influence while training.

WarEagle

Page
I think I did my beetle for a while and then switched to my mare later on. It isn't an "aggressive" act, so they won't attack you.

It really doesn't take long at all. I would gm that and then keep plugging away (I wouldn't want to re-zero and start over)

WarEagle

Page
correct. i was a bit low so i started with a polar bear. works good so far.

training pets is faster if you use disco to lower skills?

yes, for three reasons:

1) the same principle for which you zero'd them in the first place (lower overall skill total = quicker gains)
2) lower skills gain more quickly than higher ones.
3) lower skills need smaller spells to gain magery and resist, therefore less meditation time.

edit: though #3 may be a wash since you've got less med too. oh well, sounded good at the time.

Paracelsus

Sorceror
a few points in melee is not a problem. Just a bit slower. When the total in melee is 150, it may double your trainin time. If total in melee > 200 and the magery / resist < 70, zeroing again before train is usually faster.

Mondaine

Sorceror
resistance works pretty good with discordance (1.5 skill in 45 minutes at 68 resist discorded). but magery is still pretty slow.

is it better to burn all the mana and then med back until mana is full again? or is it wiser to cast only a few seconds before meding up again?

Mondaine

Sorceror
so as soon as the dragon got 40 or more mana i can let him attack again? burn all the mana oder just one or two spells? someone posted a while ago the first seconds are the best because after that it will be fireball mostly.

Mondaine

Sorceror
just a quick update: resist runs very smooth with discordance but magery is really slow. does anyone knows If magery raises faster with or without disco'ing the dragon? for comparison: in one hour i gained 1.1 in resist but only 0.1 in magery. i'll need more magery pretty soon.

Paracelsus

Sorceror
So, what is your pet's resist and magery now?
In general, magery raise with discord faster. But, in some special cases, the magery (with discord) is at the level between two circle which is hard to gain and the magery (discorded) is at the level easy to gain. Then, your pet may gain faster without discord. That kind of edge level is hard to observe. If your pet is really stuck at some level, you may try stop discord for 20 min. Then discord again. Wish it may help a bit.

EDIT:
Another thing you may improve the magery gain is: Re-gen more mana between casting so it may have more chance to cast high circle spell