UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

The lack of civility and humanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxxer

Sorceror
Re: The lack of civility and humanity

I have got it!

We should all go orc, since there only profanity is the word "skah".
You really cant affend anyone....

Problem solved. :)

Ozzy

Sorceror

Noone should really care whats being said on the forums, its only words and it doesn't hurt... The ones flaming/raging is probably in even more pain fram headbutting the damn keyboard -.-

k.k.nj,mafs-.sxsdphui gqebslnfa n2er0´+cs´lfsan9d0wq

Ouch -.-

quid pro quo

Wanderer

Ozzy;1690741 said:
Noone should really care whats being said on the forums, its only words and it doesn't hurt... The ones flaming/raging is probably in even more pain fram headbutting the damn keyboard -.-

k.k.nj,mafs-.sxsdphui gqebslnfa n2er0´+cs´lfsan9d0wq

Ouch -.-

rofl way to emphasize the point :p

I must argue differently. Words can definitely cause stress and pain; words are the way we communicate thoughts. If we successfully communicate something horrible and damaging, then we have successfully communicated something painful.

I suspect that many people are, perhaps, afraid of showing who they truly are and what they truly think. They seek to escape their lives and live an alternate reality through UO. The greatest realization can come when one sees that one is truly not so different from another human and that differences are inherently superficial. The commonality is what matters. That is for what we must strive.

re: lack of civility and humanity

I have a house by the Yew bank on the guardline. I was depositing a check at the bank, and on the way home some red attacks me. I guardwhack him (I say "oops" and do [e lol), and while I'm looting some other guy comes (I assume an alt) and manages to loot or steal back a power spear (actually low quality bronze runic equivalent)... he then says "thanks for the spear fag" and runs away...

*sigh*

What is wrong with people? Maybe I'm being naive, and I should expect to be called names after I win out in a situation when I'm just minding my own business in the first place.

To the kid who inspired this story, enjoy your power spear *rolls eyes*

Ozzy

Sorceror

Every man should judge himself. He knows what he is, you know what you are as I know what I am, we all know what we are.

Instead of concentrating on what everyone else is doing, everyone should care about themselves... Or something -.-
You cannot judge me I am tired -.-

EsK-ProDiGy

Sorceror

Ozzy;1691174 said:
Every man should judge himself. He knows what he is, you know what you are as I know what I am, we all know what we are.

Instead of concentrating on what everyone else is doing, everyone should care about themselves... Or something -.-
You cannot judge me I am tired -.-

ur dumb

1mmortal1ty

Wanderer

Well the way I look at it is we're told to watch how we act and what we say ingame, so why should it be any different on the forums....

Or do the families and youngers that play the game not read the forums?

At the moment and from what I read, the forums are not very civilised at all.

1mmortal1ty

Wanderer

Suil Ban;1691197 said:
Using bad language isn't a lack of civility and humanity.

Well it certainly doesn't show much intelligence if people have to swear at one another to put their points of view across.

Profanity has its use as a linguistic spice in small amounts for the proper accent of humor, context, or simply getting attention. This is a difficult topic since we all have to make value judgments then try to explain why we have a particular opinion, often without agreeing on any objective base.

Why don't we try to define what we think to be civil and what we think to reflect respect for humanity?

Abrasive

Squire

derreisender;1696174 said:

you do realize wikipedia is user submitted, i could change all those to "i like penis" and i could have sworn ingame had a language filter.

That's not the point. Did you actually read those entries? There's a pretty clear message I'm trying to convey here, and it's statements like yours that reflect the reason our species is circling the drain, the reason the universe has its hand on the flush handle. For those of you who don't like to read (you should work on changing that), here's a 3 minute video for you: YouTube - Bill Hicks: What is the point to Life

Abrasive

Squire

I'm all for people being less gay ingame, but as far as language use the filter or ignore it. Freedom of speech only comes into play when you affect other's freedoms. I can yell fire all day over the internet, I shouldnt be in trouble until I go in the primier of the new bat man and yell it.

Open request: I would love a response that's largely relevant to the ideas I've provided here via my own thoughts or from links to reading material or streaming media. I will appreciate some time-consuming critical thought followed by a detailed reflection on the legitimate consideration of these thoughts. Ideas evolve; that's what I want to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.