UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Veteran Reward Update

Re: Veteran Reward Update

it need to be a 1year 2year 3year reward system and maybe just really stupid ethy creatures that can only be ridden by those with account at the certain age. possibly more armored clothing. honestly maybe even handing out a cbd or some semi valueable item for the continued support.

Kaplar

Sorceror

I'm a newbie on UOG, but here are some ideas...

- shape-shifter ethys (I dismount, choose another shape, mount again)
- members-only poker tables (or perhaps by invite)
- poker table deeds (play at home?)
- a powerscroll that makes re-skill easier (say if you have a char that is already 7x and you want to switch one skill for another, it's as easy as if it were the first skill)

Ozzy

Sorceror

Kaplar;1679284 said:
I'm a newbie on UOG, but here are some ideas...

- shape-shifter ethys (I dismount, choose another shape, mount again)
- members-only poker tables (or perhaps by invite)
- poker table deeds (play at home?)
- a powerscroll that makes re-skill easier (say if you have a char that is already 7x and you want to switch one skill for another, it's as easy as if it were the first skill)

The first one are both good ideas, the 2 poker ideas are not as good, since UO Gamers is such a close knit community friends will probably meet up at the poker tables and "team" against the others..

Formater

Knight

Ozzy;1679306 said:
The first one are both good ideas, the 2 poker ideas are not as good, since UO Gamers is such a close knit community friends will probably meet up at the poker tables and "team" against the others..

QFT

Formater

Knight

How about a CBD that is linked to the account.

If given to another player not on their account or if aquired by another player (like at a idoc) and they double click it then it deletes itself.
Come to think of it you could use that idea with a lot of stuff. Maybe even rework the existing system so it works that way.

Tomox2

Wanderer

Why not character based? and implement somthing similier to the newbie ticket system.

you got one ticket and you have to find someone else with a ticket so you both can claim a prize. Usable only on that character.

Formater

Knight

Tomox2;1679339 said:
Why not character based? and implement somthing similier to the newbie ticket system.

you got one ticket and you have to find someone else with a ticket so you both can claim a prize. Usable only on that character.

Coding wise it would probably be easier to do it so they are linked to the char that claimed it instead of the account.

coldblood

Knight

Mark;1678484 said:
I like larger checks. Ethereal remount delay affects PVP too much, won't do it.

your haxxed weapons and stats affect pvp aswell, and you do it

lolol, just wanted to flame :(

MarcusO

Sorceror

I'm not totally sure what you mean by account farming, but I think you're talking about folks who make 4 accounts, then change their IP and make 4 more. Perhaps you need to stop the process of "logging into friends" accounts, which is the only thing stopping staff from easily enforcing the account limit. I know this type of change would be wildly unpopular, but it's the only way.

As for Vet Rewards, here are some suggestions...

General:

A. Expand reward activation date to benefit older active accounts. Here I'm talking about the 36, 42, 48, 54, 60...month rewards. You should know how many of these old accounts there are. That will limit the high-end rewards released.

Specific:

1. For high-end rewards, after the account collects one, it cannot be recollected. This will limit availability.

2. A Legal Fifth or Sixth Account - I'm needing this soon as my second son hits 14 in October and will be old enough to swear with the best of them on here (not that he's not already proficient, mind you). My eldest son has usurped two of my accounts, so I'm down to two...and it ain't enough to cover the multitude of cross-functional chars that can be made.

3. Blessed Clothing, where the user can enter the Name of the Item. I'm sure you can make a script for this :) [This would ROCK!]

4. Rose of Trinsic (way up high of course).

LKP

Forum Member of the year 09'

I'm not a big fan of vet rewards in general. On OSI, all the carebears cried that they deserved something for their loyalty but the truth is, they were loyal customers for 3 years, so they got to play for 3 years... and the first 3 years were the best.

Anyway, I won't submit any particular ideas or knock anyone else's. I just don't like the idea of anything unbalancing. Ethereal mounts are pretty bad but pet bonding mitigates that... but things like increases to the stat cap or special areas would be pretty uncool. I also don't like the idea of a one-time hand-out as a vet reward. It's pretty cool having something to look forward to. I remember waiting for several months for my first ethy horse on OSI, and counting down was exciting.

Formater

Knight

MarcusO;1679391 said:
I'm not totally sure what you mean by account farming, but I think you're talking about folks who make 4 accounts, then change their IP and make 4 more. Perhaps you need to stop the process of "logging into friends" accounts, which is the only thing stopping staff from easily enforcing the account limit. I know this type of change would be wildly unpopular, but it's the only way.

You need to understand some people do not play from home. They play at a internet pub or on some other kind of shared network. So lots of people are playing with the same ip. Plus most folks ip's change every time the unplug their modems. So your suggestion is unreasonable.

MarcusO;1679391 said:
2. A Legal Fifth or Sixth Account - I'm needing this soon as my second son hits 14 in October and will be old enough to swear with the best of them on here (not that he's not already proficient, mind you). My eldest son has usurped two of my accounts, so I'm down to two...and it ain't enough to cover the multitude of cross-functional chars that can be made.

You seem to be contridicting yourself. However, because of the four account limit I made my 4 kids quit playing on Hybrid and I run my own uo server at home for them. I would love it if we could have more accounts legally as long as we had no more than 4 houses and we were not just using them to farm. I would like the staff to reconsider this stuff. I mean I have two accounts and my wife has two accounts. So we need more:(

If I opened my wireless router up with my antenna setup and the apartments and houses near me its possible lots of other people could try to connect with the same ip.

MarcusO;1679391 said:
3. Blessed Clothing, where the user can enter the Name of the Item. I'm sure you can make a script for this [This would ROCK!]

4. Rose of Trinsic (way up high of course).

These both sound kind of cool. Problem with Rose of Trinsic is the people who own them and paid Mils for them will complain. As for your #3 that would be neat but there would have to be restrictions so that the name was not offensive.

MarcusO

Sorceror

Formater;1679417 said:
You need to understand some people do not play from home. They play at a internet pub or on some other kind of shared network. So lots of people are playing with the same ip. Plus most folks ip's change every time the unplug their modems. So your suggestion is unreasonable.

I know all that you said and more, as I used to run an online chess site. We allowed two accounts per IP. Folks playing at friend's houses, at school, etc. It makes it hard to enforce account-to-IP limits, and that's exactly why I said the idea of restricting logins would be "unpopular" here. But the truth is it's the easiest way of enforcing 4 accounts per IP.

When I ran the chess site I developed some decent history tracking code that was focused on users (e.g. IP and Ports) as opposed to accounts, it looked at where users went in terms of various account login history, time and duration, and the code could tell whether it was Internet Cafe, or Home-based IP Changes. We caught most of the abusers, and the thing is they were repeat abusers. As soon as you nailed them, their abuse profile reappeared. I'm sure that same thing is going on here.

Formater;1679417 said:
You seem to be contridicting yourself. However, because of the four account limit I made my 4 kids quit playing on Hybrid and I run my own uo server at home for them. I would love it if we could have more accounts legally as long as we had no more than 4 houses and we were not just using them to farm. I would like the staff to reconsider this stuff. I mean I have two accounts and my wife has two accounts. So we need more:(

My Cable ISP changed my IP last year. It fucked up my work VPN when it happened. Now whenever I mistype my account name, I get invited to make a new char. I've resisted the temptation and still only have 4 accounts. But I'm about to have 3 people playing on those 4 accounts. It's gonna suck. I already had to delete my Bard and my Archer.

Anyway, my suggestion is for a Vet Reward of a fifth or sixth LEGIT account. Admins can annotate accounts FYI, so that means it can be scripted to state the new account is a Vet Reward tied to account X. I'd like there to be a way to get more accounts in a legit fashion (Pay or Vet Reward). This does not conflict with stopping folks who make lots and lots of accounts for free, mostly to sell houses.

Formater;1679417 said:
If I opened my wireless router up with my antenna setup and the apartments and houses near me its possible lots of other people could try to connect with the same ip.

Yup. Which is why tracking need to be done by user (e.g. IP) and activity profile, and not simply by account.

Formater;1679417 said:
These both sound kind of cool. Problem with Rose of Trinsic is the people who own them and paid Mils for them will complain. As for your #3 that would be neat but there would have to be restrictions so that the name was not offensive.

Well, a 50 month account getting one R.O.T. is worth 5-10 mil IMO. As long as that account can never get another one.

And the current system of folks complaining about char names and GM's renaming to Generic Player (e.g. now it would be Generic Item) would solve the offensive thing. Also there is the "unallowed" word list, right? It would be a great reward, enjoyed by all.

Formater

Knight

MarcusO;1679459 said:
I know all that you said and more, as I used to run an online chess site. We allowed two accounts per IP. Folks playing at friend's houses, at school, etc. It makes it hard to enforce account-to-IP limits, and that's exactly why I said the idea of restricting logins would be "unpopular" here. But the truth is it's the easiest way of enforcing 4 accounts per IP.

When I ran the chess site I developed some decent history tracking code that was focused on users (e.g. IP and Ports) as opposed to accounts, it looked at where users went in terms of various account login history, time and duration, and the code could tell whether it was Internet Cafe, or Home-based IP Changes. We caught most of the abusers, and the thing is they were repeat abusers. As soon as you nailed them, their abuse profile reappeared. I'm sure that same thing is going on here.

My Cable ISP changed my IP last year. It fucked up my work VPN when it happened. Now whenever I mistype my account name, I get invited to make a new char. I've resisted the temptation and still only have 4 accounts. But I'm about to have 3 people playing on those 4 accounts. It's gonna suck. I already had to delete my Bard and my Archer.

Anyway, my suggestion is for a Vet Reward of a fifth or sixth LEGIT account. Admins can annotate accounts FYI, so that means it can be scripted to state the new account is a Vet Reward tied to account X. I'd like there to be a way to get more accounts in a legit fashion (Pay or Vet Reward). This does not conflict with stopping folks who make lots and lots of accounts for free, mostly to sell houses.

Yup. Which is why tracking need to be done by user (e.g. IP) and activity profile, and not simply by account.

Well, a 50 month account getting one R.O.T. is worth 5-10 mil IMO. As long as that account can never get another one.

And the current system of folks complaining about char names and GM's renaming to Generic Player (e.g. now it would be Generic Item) would solve the offensive thing. Also there is the "unallowed" word list, right? It would be a great reward, enjoyed by all.

With the number of accounts and players on this shard the tracking idea really would not be practical. They keep having to upgrade hardware just to meet the current demand.

MarcusO

Sorceror

Formater;1679463 said:
With the number of accounts and players on this shard the tracking idea really would not be practical. They keep having to upgrade hardware just to meet the current demand.

I understand your statement. You just don't know what you don't know. It's the plague of humanity.

Account activity logs are created daily (or weekly). They can be offloaded automatically to another website and stored in a DB for later analyses. Patterns emerge. It's not rocket science, but it's not simple either. It doesn't matter what the Hybrid HW is, it only matters how the IPs logging in act. People are dumb robots. They do the same thing in the same order over and over again. It's especially easy to nail account abusers farming BODs. Get it?

Formater

Knight

MarcusO;1679469 said:
I understand your statement. You just don't know what you don't know. It's the plague of humanity.

Account activity logs are created daily (or weekly). They can be offloaded automatically to another website and stored in a DB for later analyses. Patterns emerge. It's not rocket science, but it's not simple either. It doesn't matter what the Hybrid HW is, it only matters how the IPs logging in act. People are dumb robots. They do the same thing in the same order over and over again. It's especially easy to nail account abusers farming BODs. Get it?

Yes I understand and I am very familiar with the logs.