UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

World Of Warcraft

Kiasu

Wanderer
Re: World Of Warcraft

I agree with Neogeo's comment. Everyone does eventually go back to UO....but that's a big keyword: "back"...implying that people have had prior experience.

Most non-hardcore gamers don't enjoy UO because they don't understand the sentimental value of what UO is or was. It was a huge visual breakthru for most of us used to staring at text-based MUDs. Although it wasn't the first graphic MMO, it was certainly the most popular mainstream one at the time.

I have tried fruitlessly to chide my peers into trying UO, playing up the many superior content features and nearly limitless interactivity compared to newer MMOs. Unfortunately, most casual gamers want something less complex and with a lower barrier to entry. UO is a daunting game with so many options that it can confuse people that have never played this type of game.

As for World of Warcraft, I think it's an incredibly well-designed game. It appeals to a large consumer base, it's user-friendly, and its reward-system reinforces addictive behavior.

Although I enjoyed my time in WoW, I'm glad to get back to UO.

Pandacious

Wanderer

I have a level 50 gnome mage....on Zul'jin

and I made a horde character on Baelgun... He is a level 24 paladin right now.

Two Wolves

Knight

Kiasu;400170 said:
I agree with Neogeo's comment. Everyone does eventually go back to UO....but that's a big keyword: "back"...implying that people have had prior experience.

Most non-hardcore gamers don't enjoy UO because they don't understand the sentimental value of what UO is or was. It was a huge visual breakthru for most of us used to staring at text-based MUDs. Although it wasn't the first graphic MMO, it was certainly the most popular mainstream one at the time.

I have tried fruitlessly to chide my peers into trying UO, playing up the many superior content features and nearly limitless interactivity compared to newer MMOs. Unfortunately, most casual gamers want something less complex and with a lower barrier to entry. UO is a daunting game with so many options that it can confuse people that have never played this type of game.

As for World of Warcraft, I think it's an incredibly well-designed game. It appeals to a large consumer base, it's user-friendly, and its reward-system reinforces addictive behavior.

Although I enjoyed my time in WoW, I'm glad to get back to UO.

That is funny you say that. If you take a close look at it, UO game design is exactly like a mud, but with graphics instead of "you enter a craggy pass with threatening storm clouds overhead." The vast majority of MUDs had you running around as a ghost after you died, trying to get resurrected, reequipped so that you could reach your body in time to recover your items (or avoid stat loss), without getting killed again in the process.

... or look at the way the UO game design used to be, anyway.