UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Attended/Unattended Macroing

Zenithia

Wanderer
First off pardon my editing. I never was very good in english class.
Also this document is pretty long. So please read the whole thing before commenting.

Hello my name is Zenithia.
I am sure quite a few people have seen me running around. I have been here only a couple of months now.

This is my first time posting on the forums. So first let me explain a little about myself.

I have played UO for 10 years on OSI. I quit when I felt I shouldn't have to pay a monthly fee anymore and my grandfathered castle will always be there with my stuff regardless. So I roamed around the net looking at other games for awhile that were similar to UO like Wyrm online, etc... eventually gave up on all those and came here. UO will forever be my favorite game. Due to crafting, housing, and taming. No other game does it for me as good as UO does.;)

I am very disturbed by a recent situation I had with a gm yesterday. I was attending my two resource gatherers, one was lumberjacking the other mining. The rules state that you cant multi client for combat. Which I am not.
Now first off I fully believe in not allowing unattended macroing. It ruins the overall game in
many ways, which have thoroughly been discussed in the forums so i wont get into it here.

I have 2 monitors for my computer (15" and 32"tv)so its pretty easy for me to attend to two macroing characters at once using nothing more than what was given to me to play on this server "razor".
I do not use any other programs.
I stop my macros when I step away from the computer such as coffee breaks, bathroom breaks, anytime I leave the computer, even while writing this document my macro characters are sitting waiting for me to start them.
I log out when I go to bed or when I leave the house for extended periods of time. So I have a clean record up to this point. On osi and here. Only unattending I agree with is gating.

As I am going along doing my thing yesterday I see a person come walking up to my house. I see him say and I quote "gm o.o". I figured he was referring to my skill by looking at my paperdoll not even contemplating gm at this time. My macros were still running at this point and teleported away to my next destination before I had a chance to say anything. Let alone I am not a very social person and didn't want to stop my macro just to recall back and talk to someone that was walking by my house. I did not have time to see the guys name before teleporting away, I tried looking on the journal as I was continuing to lumberjack but it was gone.

So I have no idea if that was the gm or just a player. My educated guess is player cause he walked up to the house and did not just appear and walked into my public section of my house and also why would a gm say gm o.o.
Next time my macro teleported back to house I did not see him or anyone. So I just switched back over to my miner cause I would rather listen to the sound of the mining than the lumber jacking. Both screens still visible one on each monitor but only one plays sound at a time. It had to be this guy that reported me cause this all happened about 20 minutes before the gm showed up.
So 20 minutes later I notice on my smaller monitor that my lumberjack macro was in error and that i'm in jail. But my other one is still going so I stop both macros and at that time the gm appears on the miners screen. He says hi, I say hi back immediately, and try to assure him that I was not unattending. I just didn't notice him. I am not even quite sure how I missed him.
My macros do a lot of teleporting: my journal is open on both screens and still I did not notice him, but I sure noticed the guy that reported me 20 minutes earlier. So the gm says that I have to respond. How long did he give me to notice him as I'm teleporting around? It can take less than 2 minutes or 1 mining or lumberjack location to completely fill my journal where I cant see anything before that time frame, especially if the macro is in error(30 sec - maybe less)which happens quite often, especially being thrown into jail. So I had no way of seeing the history of everything longer than 30 secs before. So obviously I was not unattended since I have responded by time he got to my second gatherer.

But yet I was still in jail and still had resources taken away that I gathered legally. Due to my frustration for being falsely accused and convicted. I just logged out right then and there and contemplated quitting for all of the remainder of the day. And decided im gonna try this approach first.

Due to my lack of programming skills to make macros. My macros are not good enough to unattend macro.
1 when a world save happens it screws up my macros (i did not feel like inputting the code 1000's of times at every stage of the macro) when its easier to just watch it.
2 when there is something blocking location (happens a lot with lumberjack due to animals roaming forest)
3 I cant loop the macros it just would not work right the way I setup my macros.
I am perfectly ok with these glitches cause it makes staring at a screen all day as I mine and lumberjack a little less boring and forces me to attend.

Now sure ill take this first strike as whatever lesson the gm thinks maybe right. But I feel that I have done nothing wrong. And I am going to continue to mine and lumberjack the same way I have been because it is within the rules of the server and I love to do it. And if i'm wrong and what i am doing is against the rules I will destroy all that I have done and leave the server.

But I have a serious problem of being harassed by my competition or any jealous idiot that walks by and sees me macroing and decides that because I am not talking to them they are going to report me. Cause if that is how it rolls around here i'm gonna start calling gm every time I see someone macroing. Especially my competition.

Now if this player I saw happens to see me on his player account and switches over to his gm account and throws me in jail. That even brings up more serious issues of corruption. Using gm powers to eliminate the competition for his own personal gains in game.

Besides I don't make enough money from attended mining and lumber jacking to justify even getting a warning or second strike or third strike. There are way faster ways to make money in this game legally. I can make more money hunting Sphynx for 4 hrs than I can mine and chop and sell in 1 day.
I do it because I am a crafter and merchant. I always have been since early UO. I very rarely go out and hunt and never pvp. I am a merchant at heart. I have donated well over couple of hundred in the last couple of months to help maintain this wonderful server. Not that it matters much how much I donate but it shows my will to keep it going. So if I am going to be continually convicted for obeying the rules and doing what I love to do then I will leave.

This thread is not meant to be a complaint but rather a means to solve this problem from getting out of hand.

I've shown suggestions throughout this document to resolve this issue. As a newer and already loyal fan of this server I do not want this getting out of hand where I have to stop doing what I am doing because of fear of false prosecution while obeying the rules. I am truly worried for my way of life on this server. There has to be a better way of detecting unattended macroing and not falsely prosecuting rule abiding citizens.

The more I think about it the more I have a feeling this was mis-identification on my part. The other factor is my razor window always on top partially blocking the main screen since so little room in black area of screen. And the gm could have appeared behind razor window and walked out from behind and into house. I watch 2 things as i'm attending gathering, the journal and razor. When at home the journal is pretty much useless due to restocking and smelting messages. So razor is highest priority to watch since if anything is going wrong I can always see it in razor first. As you play this game and use razor more you become more dependent on it same with UOassist.

Can gm's stop macros? That would have gotten my attention immediately. No player can do that.

Can gm's look at the macros that people are using? Cause if you can and find a macro that can be used to unattend macro then that is enough evidence to start to watch them.

Do gm's have a certain rule as to how long they have to try and attempt to contact the individual before throwing them in jail?

If that guy was the gm and my educated guess was wrong then there must be a better way of identification other than just appearance & speaking, and I would like to then apologize for not making a bigger effort to stop the macro and speak with the gm. But I also dont want to stop my macro everytime for everyone I see near my chars either. Just to make sure it aint a gm.

How about throw up one of the event windows? I see those all the time as i'm attending. Bigger window though so you can tell the difference and its large enough to see from behind razor, maybe red background, and obviously not to the whole world, just to the individual you are trying to determine is unattending? Then start timer (if one)and proceed to speak to individual.

Sorry for the long speech. But as you can see this a complicated situation and has brought up many issues IMO. I gave this server and the gms that maintain it a A++ rating up to this point. I hope this can be resolved.

Everything in here is truthful and I wont name the gm so don't ask. I'm not trying to point fingers. I'm not trying to get my resources back. I just don't want this happening again for all the wrong reasons.

sk8nomad

Sorceror
[snip] So 20 minutes later I notice on my smaller monitor that my lumberjack macro was in error and that i'm in jail [snip]
Rule is you need to be attended enough to be able to respond to a staff's commands at any given notice. Watching your journal and razor is not enough. They aren't mean about it either, they often give you a minute which is more than enough time to answer a question like, "What is 3+2=?" Thats what they ask me. Hope this helps.

kolbycrouch

Knight
The fact is, if you do not respond to the GM in the time frame that they allow, they will delete all of the resources in whatever box your gathering to. The staff member was probably watching you do it for some time so he knew where you were placing your resources, then he came down to ask, and you didn't answer "fast" enough. It's just there protocol on the situation. You must make sure you can see any mobile on your screen at all times, otherwise you take the risk of getting jailed. This has happened to me several times doing HW quests just because my screen isn't big enough to see the full area of all my clients, unfortunately you must prepare for that.

SCV

Wanderer
Well I read your whole text.... ( I should get a reward for that...)
You won't get my simpaty because as much as you tried, you ended up confessing you were macroing unattended.
You just broke the Demise Code Of Law, I hope the time you spend in jail will make you reflect on your wrong doings.

I report every afk macroer I see, afk macroing is a big problem in mmo, I would like to thank the staff for their hard work against this " virtual cancer"

april0395

Sorceror
I'm pretty sure they give a minute before tossing someone in jail. One of my friends has been popped in on, and he said that sometimes they'll say hi or pose a math problem.

kolbycrouch

Knight
Well I read your whole text.... ( I should get a reward for that...)
You won't get my simpaty because as much as you tried, you ended up confessing you were macroing unattended.
You just broke the Demise Code Of Law, I hope the time you spend in jail will make you reflect on your wrong doings.

I report every afk macroer I see, afk macroing is a big problem in mmo, I would like to thank the staff for their hard work against this " virtual cancer"

Maybe if you weren't such a pathetic douche, people would respect your opinion.

Zenithia

Wanderer
If you are going to accuse me of confessing maybe you should quote where I said this? I'm not here for your sympathy i'm here to get to a clear cut solution to this problem. And as i said i have obeyed every rule to a T. You obviously are not helping this thread SCV.

SCV

Wanderer
You are posting in a public forum, expect to hear the opinions of the community.
I am strongly opposed to afk resource gatherers, they are a disease in the online gaming world.

To kolbycroch, I thought you were better than that? I merely posted my opinion, never offended you or your loved ones.
You on the other hand resort to name calling without even explaining yourself. Is it because you also gather resources unattended?

Zenithia

Wanderer
Anyways back to the topic at hand. Making a simple red event window in random location on screen with the random math question inside would eliminate any risk. There shouldn't be any risk PERIOD for using razor as designed attending it. It has to be more clear cut. If a more noticeable method to see the gm without argument is used like the red window. This would all be solved. Heck the gm's would only have to start the process. We all have to deal with uo's flaws. We shouldn't be punished for not having enough space on our screens or using multiple clients which is legal.

april0395

Sorceror
That would be nice. When I'm doing my create food macro, I'm always afraid a GM is going to check on me and appear on the side with all the text running up the screen. I probably won't notice them with all that chaos going on over there. :(

j_monroy

Squire
Anyways back to the topic at hand. Making a simple red event window in random location on screen with the random math question inside would eliminate any risk. There shouldn't be any risk PERIOD for using razor as designed attending it. It has to be more clear cut. If a more noticeable method to see the gm without argument is used like the red window. This would all be solved. Heck the gm's would only have to start the process. We all have to deal with uo's flaws. We shouldn't be punished for not having enough space on our screens or using multiple clients which is legal.

Would it be difficult to bypass this with a macro by detecting the pop-up window and making a sound on your macro and stopping it altogether?

kolbycrouch

Knight
In America its absolutely fine to clean your best friends castle from items after years of knowing the person (like you did to Alvin) and punishing criminals breaking the rules is being 'a pathetic douche', what a beautiful country

That's because alvin was never my friend and only used me to fight people in order to win, and I even gave his stuff back to him. I don't have to resort to generalized comments about someones origins in order to look cool on the forums like you.

You are posting in a public forum, expect to hear the opinions of the community.
I am strongly opposed to afk resource gatherers, they are a disease in the online gaming world.

To kolbycroch, I thought you were better than that? I merely posted my opinion, never offended you or your loved ones.

You on the other hand resort to name calling without even explaining yourself. Is it because you also gather resources unattended?

Maybe I came off as harsh, what I meant to say is that your reply wasn't helpful in the slightest and only showed your animosity towards others, you basically called him virtual cancer even though he had a simple but lengthy rhetoric about macroing.

Alvin1337

Sorceror
[...]and I even gave his stuff back to him[...]

This is a lie of course.
What you returned from about 300-400 ltots, fair collection of deco, uniqes, and shields were junk left-overs that you couldnt sell or trade.

That's because alvin was never my friend and only used me to fight people in order to win[...]

I am sorry to hear that, hope you find new better, more trustable friends than me.

PS: Sorry for offtopic;].

april0395

Sorceror
Anytime a GM has come to check on me their animation to un-hide themselves
has always been plenty to get my attention
View attachment 87240

They don't always unhide, though. I distinctly remember seeing Athena pop up on a mountain top visible to only me and hidden from others. So I'm surprised I noticed her at all since she blended in the mountain so well.

kolbycrouch

Knight
This is a lie of course.
What you returned from about 300-400 ltots, fair collection of deco, uniqes, and shields were junk left-overs that you couldnt sell or trade.

I am sorry to hear that, hope you find new better, more trustable friends than me.

PS: Sorry for offtopic;].

Yes you just used me anytime it was to your advantage, just like you took back a "friends" items just to sell on forums even though you knew they were critical pieces for him, and so I took your "trash" as you said and gave gtots to my real friends, and gave you everything back that wasn't taken from my house were several people had access, because I honestly don't care about making a billionaire even wealthier. Why don't you stop talking about such matters on forums and face me personally? No, you would rather tell everyone on the server about this ordeal even though it's between you and me. Maybe you just want to take my house without question again and try to charge me for expanding it without my approval.

Zenithia

Wanderer
can razor detect where the backpack is? No
UO back in the day implemented an update that made containers open in a somewhat random location every time to prevent macros from clicking in the same location every time. I'm pretty sure razor has no work around for that.
Can razor detect a event window popping up? I don't know but from what i do know about razor id have to say no.
And besides how is that changing anything you are still afk and not answering the question. and if i was there and had a magical macro that did that. it would just help me answer the question faster. Securing the fact that i am still there watching my macros.

Alvin1337

Sorceror
Why don't you stop talking about such matters on forums and face me personally?

All my attempts at talking to you since the robbery were always consequently ignored. I am glad to hear that now your attitude changed and you are willing to talk with me again ; ].

Maybe you just want to take my house without question again and try to charge me for expanding it without my approval.

Unlikely to happen - you never paid for doubling the size of your luna house, so probably wont do you any more favors of the sort.
No, you would rather tell everyone on the server about this ordeal even though it's between you and me.
Not me bringing it up, perhaps you should have just ignored what was an obvious attempt to start a flame war done by Royal Kapero...