UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

blacksmithing

Ketish

Traveler
From the beginning of my uo lifetime, i've always wanted to become a blacksmith in real life. I have my own anvil, it's rather large. Not one of the dinky pos ones for sure. The major hold back over the years for me has been that i don't own a forge nor can i afford one. So i've had to settle with more simplified blacksmithing projects. I know A LOT about chainmail and scalemail. I have made an entire set of chain leggings, chest and coif for myself. ridiculously heavy it is because I used an 8:1 pattern... Yeah that's just a taste of my Pashion for becoming a smithy in real life,. i could go on for days..

8:1 Woah that's awesome man, yeah UO was a factor in my life choice. I think 4x2 is the mantle i made. Historically accurate as long as it's not rivited. (if i remember correctly)
Your anvil is probably a Czech/Peddinghaus anvil looking like this: http://www.branco.cz/anvil-peddinghaus.htm Most say a weight on the side.

A coal forge is built and cheap to maintain, you can purchase a gas forge for 800$. They both have their advantages and disadvantaged.

The Instigator

Sorceror
I tried to build a forge out of an old tire rim, but it didn't work well at all...

I guess not everyone has one laying around, but I had an old wood stove so I just set that up the other day and used it as my forge lol... oh and a hairdryer to get the fire nice and hot =]

Ketish

Traveler
wow how much does each piece weigh? and does the chest have long or short sleeves?
I did the arms to about elbow length so i suppose it's short sleeves. The tunic part weighs atleast 50lb, the legs are in the 40 range and the coif is 15-20..
It is not something you want to wear while taking a walk. lol. If you are familiar with chain mail you'll know that a 8 for every 1 is a tight pattern and pretty much doubles the weight of a traditional pattern.

The Instigator

Sorceror

The Instigator

Sorceror
I've only made one horseshoe lol... if you want to call it that =D I've been pretty busy though now with 2 jobs and school... ughhh