UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Common roleplaying city

Rhombus.

Squire
Common roleplaying city

Hello guys

I have been thinking, and i think its a shame we are scattered all over the shard, it works when the community is well developed like on Europa, but here we need some common ground to meet.

I propose Trinsic, because we (KT) are based there, and because the city only has three access ways, the west and south gates and the harbor from the sea.

For those of you who wish to just roleplay your different types of characters autonomously you are very welcome to join our new cityguild City of Trinsic or [COT]. For now there will be no rules except that you are required to stay in character while in Trinsic.

The idea is that the [COT] tag will identify you as serious roleplayers by other guilds.

Even though you dont wish to join RT, you and any RP guilds are welcome to come to Trinsic and find us, we are mostly online at 20-24 CET [GMT-2]

Rhombus

Vek

Sorceror
Re: Common roleplaying city

Yew has always seemed to be the main role-playing town. Orcs are stationed there, Vampires are stationed there, Undead are stationed there, Yew Militia is stationed there, and now Savages are stationed there.

I suggest you change to [KY] or try to start using the RP island more.

Good luck with your guild! :D

Vek;1899421 said:
Yew has always seemed to be the main role-playing town. Orcs are stationed there, Vampires are stationed there, Undead are stationed there, Yew Militia is stationed there, and now Savages are stationed there.

I suggest you change to [KY] or try to start using the RP island more.

Good luck with your guild! :D
honestly, thats not a fair suggestion at all, every one of those guilds besides urs are inactive

Rhombus.

Squire

I never liked using Yew, its too spread out, and there are no real chokepoints, mostly just woods and roads.
No I think we'll stick to to COT if thats ok with you ;)

Rhombus

Vek

Sorceror

SinisterLightning;1899451 said:
honestly, thats not a fair suggestion at all, every one of those guilds besides urs are inactive

Well I guess thats true. Personally I'm not a fan of Trinsic though because i always get lost and can never find anything in that city. But besides all those guilds being there, Yew has always been the main Role-Playing City of Hybrid. Its hard to make a city dedicated to Role Players. I do agree that we are all too spread out, most Role Players now are individuals, because they don't like the available guilds, or they don't like RP guilds in general, or they just don't play enough to dedicate themselves to anything other than some fun alone when they do hop on. I'm willing to give anything a shot though. In my opinion for the RP community to thrive again it needs staff assistance, this isn't necessary at all by any means but I'm sure it would greatly help, players often follow staff in whatever it is they do. In fact i believe that dash you see at the end of a lot of players names what started by a GM.

SinisterLightning;1899451 said:

Lies! I am on my vampire almost daily! Don't speak of things you do not know.

Rhombus I don't think trinsic should be the common ground because as Vek puts it your guild is the only one there.

Instead I recommend rpers to use the rp island more and more.

If we make the Rp island the common meeting ground for rp then it will be as it was intended for and it wont be catering to one group.

Trinsic is no good because it is within the guard zone and that is very negative for an rp community.

.Joshua.

Wanderer

What this shard needs is a player-run town. Give the RPers a place to hang their hats and the PvPers someplace new to fight (a good thing all around.) I've been on Hybrid for over a month now and that's what I miss most about the UO I used to know but I don't have the resources/contacts to get one running by myself (of course.) I've been thinking about making a propostion to the shard at large to find some partners/investors. I've been following the real estate here and it definately seems do-able. With the exhorbitant prices for clothing here it seems you could just trade a couple of those god-forsaken Trammy Barstools or a hat that says MegaNoob or something for enough land to found a town. But you need townsfolk to make a real town.

I'll probably make a big post in the general forums later this week to try and build up some buzz. If any of you are interested I have loads of experience in the player-run town game but I need some support to make this happen. With or without the support I plan on trying to make this happen.

Rhombus.

Squire

.Joshua.;1899835 said:
What this shard needs is a player-run town. Give the RPers a place to hang their hats and the PvPers someplace new to fight (a good thing all around.) I've been on Hybrid for over a month now and that's what I miss most about the UO I used to know but I don't have the resources/contacts to get one running by myself (of course.) I've been thinking about making a propostion to the shard at large to find some partners/investors. I've been following the real estate here and it definately seems do-able. With the exhorbitant prices for clothing here it seems you could just trade a couple of those god-forsaken Trammy Barstools or a hat that says MegaNoob or something for enough land to found a town. But you need townsfolk to make a real town.

I'll probably make a big post in the general forums later this week to try and build up some buzz. If any of you are interested I have loads of experience in the player-run town game but I need some support to make this happen. With or without the support I plan on trying to make this happen.

Im with you, lets build stuff ;)

Rhombus.

Squire

plague_spores;1899476 said:
Instead I recommend rpers to use the rp island more and more.

If we make the Rp island the common meeting ground for rp then it will be as it was intended for and it wont be catering to one group.

Trinsic is no good because it is within the guard zone and that is very negative for an rp community.

Honestly i dont see a problem in calling guards when some kewl d00ds on ethys gank us, leaving us with no chances as we're on foot, in plate etc. IMO I dont see the point in planning an event for days then to see it ruined by pk's who have no respect or understanding of the logistics behind managing roleplaying events.

I've had an orc char, and we spent most our time fighting off pk's (dying mostly), if i wanted to do that i'd make an anti pk guild.

Spending most my time trying to roleplay, the guard zone evens the playing field between me and the pk who spends all his time trying to optimize his effectiveness at killing me ;)

Anyway, this is besides the point, Trinsic is here now, I hope you will come join us!

Rhombus

.Joshua.

Wanderer

I can see why it's frustrating to get killed over and over by people completely unrelated to what you're doing but I think the death of RP on any server has more to do with RPers trying to ignore the part of the game that they aren't taking part in. The PKs will never ignore an RPer outside of town and that's a fact. Let me tell you my story.

I quit UO (playing on Chessie) the day Trammel was implemented. I thought it was the death of my playstyle: the hated, way into stat-loss, run around with 20 other dudes with 76.4 magery and ebolt the hell out of anything that moved, PK. About a year later I came back to UO to follow some of my friends to Seige Perilous. No Trammel, no stat-loss, reds banking in town, I thought it was PK heaven. . . 'Till I was there about a week and realized that being red didn't mean a thing on Siege but being blue still meant reds usually wanted to kill you. I was there for a fight so I joined up with a down-on-their-luck RP guild (CWS) that ran Wispwood. The CWS guild tag was like a giant target above you head when I joined and Wispwood was a ghost town because of the bands of PKs that'd roll through two or three times an evening.
There were already a few vets in the guild that were hip to why I joined, that's why they were there too, and I brought in my best friend (also formerly a 1337 PK.) We started mounting an organized defense of the town. At first it was gruesome. We'd get stomped into the ground and dry looted every step of the way. But soon the PK guilds realized that we were the best friends they had. We were good at fighting even a gank since we had so much practice at it. We never looted anything off of them except regs and weapons. We wouldn't attack a red that wasn't casting on us. And we'd whack a blue that was disturbing the peace as quick as any red. Before we knew it the guild was thriving, the town was thriving, and the PK community was thriving, and the RP community was thriving, all because a handful of old PKs decided they'd get more action being honorable role-players.
Less than a year after I joined that guild there were way more fights in Wispwood than ever before but the average fight involved almost no looting. Beyond that there were more people to fight with and the most amazing part was the difference it made in the PKs. Once they realized they were free to come and enjoy our town as long as they did so peacefully they did. There were a lot of PKs that would raid our town if their guild mates were on, otherwise they'd come and hang out. And what's more, they were often times some of the fiercest defenders of Wispwood if another PK guild rolled through. It was sometimes confusing having 1337dUd3PK x-healing you 20mins after ebolting you but it's the most fun I've ever had with any game.

That's what I want to bring to Hybrid. Fun for all. You're not ever gunna get me to say "fuck those guys because they're RPers/PKs." We all play this game to have fun interacting with other people, not collecting gold off spawn or logging on ever three hours to get our BODs or sitting at the bank selling a doublet that says something stupid. And that's what a player-run town stands for to me. Everyone should be involved. Don't want your event ruined by the PvPers? Get half of them to run security that way they ALL get more people to fight and you get to run your event.

I know this is already crazy long winded but I want to share one more story. Around '05 or '06 I was in my town training a new recruit to cross heal and generally not make a nuissance of herself. She had been playing for years but hadn't really ever left Trammel till she came to Siege. So we're sitting in town and some J-D (my favorite local PKs) roll-up. Turns out I trained her well and she kept me well healed in a running fight. After a while she bites it and the fight continues. I don't really remember what happened, whether we won or lost, but I do remember after the fight opening up an ICQ from this bright pink eye-sore of a Trammy. The message said something like "OMG i never knew UO could be so fun thats the coolest thing I've ever done when can we do that again!!!" This stuff's for everybody. I quit UO the first time because I wanted to PK without Trammel taking my prey away but the most fun I ever had was being a mostly-blue RPer that'd gladly roll into any fight backed up by former Trammies.

How's that for a post!

Rhombus.

Squire

Im not going into a debate on whether this should be done or not, we will attempt to start something up in Trinsic. If you want to, you are very welcome to join us.

Rhombus

Rhombus.;1899848 said:
Honestly i dont see a problem in calling guards when some kewl d00ds on ethys gank us, leaving us with no chances as we're on foot, in plate etc. IMO I dont see the point in planning an event for days then to see it ruined by pk's who have no respect or understanding of the logistics behind managing roleplaying events.

I've had an orc char, and we spent most our time fighting off pk's (dying mostly), if i wanted to do that i'd make an anti pk guild.

Spending most my time trying to roleplay, the guard zone evens the playing field between me and the pk who spends all his time trying to optimize his effectiveness at killing me ;)

Anyway, this is besides the point, Trinsic is here now, I hope you will come join us!

Rhombus

Rhombus buddy you missed my point. If I wanted to come to trinsic and rp with you on my TcD char i would be ganked by blues because I am a red in town and they feel safe because of guards and numbers. If they attacked me no one in my guild could help kill them.

Its not that the blue rpers would have a prob its us vamps ;)

Rhombus.

Squire

plague_spores;1900019 said:
If I wanted to come to trinsic and rp with you on my TcD char i would be ganked by blues because I am a red in town and they feel safe because of guards and numbers. If they attacked me no one in my guild could help kill them.
Its not that the blue rpers would have a prob its us vamps ;)

Ah, a valid point, I can see that would be a problem, I guess there is no other solution than Yew then? Or maybe a RP village somewhere, as proposed elsewhere recently

Rhombus

Altra

Traveler

.Joshua.;1899881 said:
I can see why it's frustrating to get killed over and over by people completely unrelated to what you're doing but I think the death of RP on any server has more to do with RPers trying to ignore the part of the game that they aren't taking part in. The PKs will never ignore an RPer outside of town and that's a fact. Let me tell you my story.

I quit UO (playing on Chessie) the day Trammel was implemented. I thought it was the death of my playstyle: the hated, way into stat-loss, run around with 20 other dudes with 76.4 magery and ebolt the hell out of anything that moved, PK. About a year later I came back to UO to follow some of my friends to Seige Perilous. No Trammel, no stat-loss, reds banking in town, I thought it was PK heaven. . . 'Till I was there about a week and realized that being red didn't mean a thing on Siege but being blue still meant reds usually wanted to kill you. I was there for a fight so I joined up with a down-on-their-luck RP guild (CWS) that ran Wispwood. The CWS guild tag was like a giant target above you head when I joined and Wispwood was a ghost town because of the bands of PKs that'd roll through two or three times an evening.
There were already a few vets in the guild that were hip to why I joined, that's why they were there too, and I brought in my best friend (also formerly a 1337 PK.) We started mounting an organized defense of the town. At first it was gruesome. We'd get stomped into the ground and dry looted every step of the way. But soon the PK guilds realized that we were the best friends they had. We were good at fighting even a gank since we had so much practice at it. We never looted anything off of them except regs and weapons. We wouldn't attack a red that wasn't casting on us. And we'd whack a blue that was disturbing the peace as quick as any red. Before we knew it the guild was thriving, the town was thriving, and the PK community was thriving, and the RP community was thriving, all because a handful of old PKs decided they'd get more action being honorable role-players.
Less than a year after I joined that guild there were way more fights in Wispwood than ever before but the average fight involved almost no looting. Beyond that there were more people to fight with and the most amazing part was the difference it made in the PKs. Once they realized they were free to come and enjoy our town as long as they did so peacefully they did. There were a lot of PKs that would raid our town if their guild mates were on, otherwise they'd come and hang out. And what's more, they were often times some of the fiercest defenders of Wispwood if another PK guild rolled through. It was sometimes confusing having 1337dUd3PK x-healing you 20mins after ebolting you but it's the most fun I've ever had with any game.

That's what I want to bring to Hybrid. Fun for all. You're not ever gunna get me to say "fuck those guys because they're RPers/PKs." We all play this game to have fun interacting with other people, not collecting gold off spawn or logging on ever three hours to get our BODs or sitting at the bank selling a doublet that says something stupid. And that's what a player-run town stands for to me. Everyone should be involved. Don't want your event ruined by the PvPers? Get half of them to run security that way they ALL get more people to fight and you get to run your event.

I know this is already crazy long winded but I want to share one more story. Around '05 or '06 I was in my town training a new recruit to cross heal and generally not make a nuissance of herself. She had been playing for years but hadn't really ever left Trammel till she came to Siege. So we're sitting in town and some J-D (my favorite local PKs) roll-up. Turns out I trained her well and she kept me well healed in a running fight. After a while she bites it and the fight continues. I don't really remember what happened, whether we won or lost, but I do remember after the fight opening up an ICQ from this bright pink eye-sore of a Trammy. The message said something like "OMG i never knew UO could be so fun thats the coolest thing I've ever done when can we do that again!!!" This stuff's for everybody. I quit UO the first time because I wanted to PK without Trammel taking my prey away but the most fun I ever had was being a mostly-blue RPer that'd gladly roll into any fight backed up by former Trammies.

How's that for a post!

Great story great post.. love the village idea.

Vek

Sorceror

.Joshua.;1899835 said:

This is the best idea I've heard yet :D

+3,000

Vek

Sorceror

Rhombus.;1900513 said:
Ah, a valid point, I can see that would be a problem, I guess there is no other solution than Yew then? Or maybe a RP village somewhere, as proposed elsewhere recently

Rhombus

Yew works out good because it is a town but, its very spread out like. One big strip of no guards, then one block of guards. Works good for blue role players and red role players, plus theres a lot of housing spots out there that can be made into outposts, guild houses, etc.

Altra

Traveler

Vek;1900646 said:
Yew works out good because it is a town but, its very spread out like. One big strip of no guards, then one block of guards. Works good for blue role players and red role players, plus theres a lot of housing spots out there that can be made into outposts, guild houses, etc.

agreed.

Rhombus.

Squire

Yew it is then, for now anyway, we'll start looking for a place tomorrow and hopefully we'll fit in ;)

.Joshua.

Wanderer

I biased, but I feel as though those clearings east of Yew are the best spot for a player run town, as well. Also, I'd like to point out that you're not likely to accidentally run into 1337d00ds just looking to buy a bunch of regs in Yew. . . or anyone else you're not planning on running into. Still, for privacy, it's no Serpent's Hold or Ocllo.

Speaking of Yew, does anyone know if the orcs are active here? I've stopped by the Yew fort a dozen times in the past month and never found anyone. I'd love some contact info on some of them if they're acually still around. Same for the rest of the RP guilds around.

Try going into IRC and go to #orc channel. They are not on hybrid much but there are still a few who hop on time to time.

Why do you guys always reject the wonderful things the staff try to do for the rp community? They have built you a common place to meet that every rp guild is linked to.