UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

hybrid will be non-wand shard

Little Owl

Wanderer
There is another way of looking at it. The 3 vs 1 or 2 vs 1 stun gank represents unskilled pvp, and is all too common. You can still kill people 1v1 who use wands if you are skilled, and wands allow people to solo.

So in that sense, wands help counter unskilled PVP techniques. It's a mixed issue with pros and cons to each side of the argument.

There is another way of looking at it. The 3 vs 1 or 2 vs 1 stun gank represents unskilled pvp, and is all too common. You can still kill people 1v1 who use wands if you are skilled, and wands allow people to solo.

So in that sense, wands help counter unskilled PVP techniques. It's a mixed issue with pros and cons to each side of the argument.
fighting in groups of 2 or 3 = unskilled? That's kind of a major basis of pvp functionality. If you are alluding to ganking being unskillful, then even that can be a stretch. If three complete noobs, even with wands, attempt to kill somebody that knows what they are doing, it isn't going to happen.

And killing somebody that uses wands doesn't even necessarily come down to your skill level, but more on their skill level. If you gave me infinite gheal charges, there is literally 0% chance anybody kills me. I never intently used wands while pvping, but the times when I'd loot a gheal wand from killing somebody I was impossible to kill.

With wands in play, people are less likely to play solo just because of the practicality of finding a 1v1, or even a 1v2 without them using wands themselves, which you won't be winning with equivalent skill. Because of this, players run in groups, with wands. Without wands; spells, mana, interrupts and smart play become much more valuable to the solo player, and fighting 1v1-1v2 is much more viable, allowing skilled players to really shine and stand out from the rest, rather than watch as everybody relies on an uninteruptible, no mana wand thats usable while moving, stunned, and paralyzed, and as effective as a greater heal without require a skill on your template.

Yea, wands are broke.

kdivers

Knight
I vote for one of the following:
1. reduce stun duration very slightly and turn all light/gheal wands into an appropriate hybrid coin value based on charges
1a. This will help balance the OPness of a stun in combat with no wands and prevent people from [e crying about their wands poofing

2. add cooldown to wands
2a. reduction of spam, only use them when necessary and not like people use purple potions

3. make wand casts extra long
3a. same as above, but it fucks up script kiddies

Little Owl

Wanderer
fighting in groups of 2 or 3 = unskilled? That's kind of a major basis of pvp functionality. If you are alluding to ganking being unskillful, then even that can be a stretch. If three complete noobs, even with wands, attempt to kill somebody that knows what they are doing, it isn't going to happen.

And killing somebody that uses wands doesn't even necessarily come down to your skill level, but more on their skill level. If you gave me infinite gheal charges, there is literally 0% chance anybody kills me. I never intently used wands while pvping, but the times when I'd loot a gheal wand from killing somebody I was impossible to kill.

With wands in play, people are less likely to play solo just because of the practicality of finding a 1v1, or even a 1v2 without them using wands themselves, which you won't be winning with equivalent skill. Because of this, players run in groups, with wands. Without wands; spells, mana, interrupts and smart play become much more valuable to the solo player, and fighting 1v1-1v2 is much more viable, allowing skilled players to really shine and stand out from the rest, rather than watch as everybody relies on an uninteruptible, no mana wand thats usable while moving, stunned, and paralyzed, and as effective as a greater heal without require a skill on your template.

Yea, wands are broke.

I think you've made some great points, I've just experienced a different side of things out there.

When I hit a person with a wand with a poisoned weapon or include a poison combo, it doesn't matter if they are using a wand, and if they don't have macing skill I'm near guaranteed to hit them. I've also run into folks though that will spam offensive wands due to the lack of mana required which can only be countered by wand use as well. If they run away while they are wanding then yeah, it's tough unless they have been hit by a parablow. I think the cooldown and half mana are a good idea.

Ever since I played here, there have been tons of players that resort to calling in a tamer bola gank or a precasted stun gank anytime they encounter a player of better skill. The call-ins run in from off-screen and do what they will. This is highly unskilled PVP and is very common. Wands allow you to survive such nonsense.

Some changes just don't play out as intended. I saw some posts from Ryan saying that noone would want a Hybrid Mare due to their rarity and what not, for example, and every PVP tamer I come across has one. Then there's some ultra-armor that people don't lose when they die. Crazyiness. Regardless, I'll adapt to whatever will be.

Last edited:

Cort.

Sorceror
Remove wands, and make it so that you can cast while stunned. Perhaps with a longer cast time (x1.25). But any spells you cast on yourself will not unfreeze you- only damage from other players. So when you get stunned and casted on by a larger group you will be stuck in place as normal, but you at least have an opportunity to time a heal and survive, instead of relying on wands.

Aragorn13

Traveler
I guess Everybody was playing when there was all kind of wands right? I dont think it is the main problem for Hybrid... You should bring wands back. Its just like the decision of closing sallos for uog.I remember that made like half of population quit.This gonna end up same.I love uog but just because few donaters cry about that you shouldnt stop spawning wands.. :(

Little Owl

Wanderer
There's a number of ways to rework things without having to eliminate them. Similar to bolas requiring tactics, item id could be used for wand level - level 1 - mini-heal etc, everybody gets to use. level 2 - you need 33% item id to equip it, etc. Not saying it's a great option, but would put in a disincentive or choice instead of unlimited wand spamming without a downside. I'm sure that Hermione mistook a vibrator for a wand at some point or other.

Little Owl

Wanderer
Figured I'd throw in one last idea, although I liked some of the earlier ones.

Bring back all the wand drops (Gheal, lightning, etc)
Reduce the effectiveness of wands by half (or other amount as desired). At GM Magery, a Mana Drain wand breaks only 2 circles reflect, GHeal heals half as much, etc.

Thus, if you use a wand you get the benefit that it will not be disrupted or use mana, but it comes at the cost of it being half as effective as casting the spell yourself. Should be pretty easy to code as well.

jesus i've solo'ed now for at least 80% of my UOG experience. I have never relied so heavily on wands as you guys are claiming to have done. Either change your gameplay, or get with a group. I've done both of these things myself, and I must say, I actually enjoy solo play more-so than ganking other players 5v1. The only thing you bunch of non-creative bastards have to do, is just that, get creative. I have at least 200Gr heal + and like 400+ lightning. I like mining man's theme, make them redeemable for hybrid coins, so all of em can be trash barreled thats still out there.

I AM ALL for turning my wands in exchange of these hybrid coins ( dependent if they ever add something to buy with them ever )) wont trade them in for something that has zero use for awhile. since i still use mine to solo..

YewGuards

Sorceror
I'm sure the staff is tired of seeing these threads. Good thing for us, the community has already overwhelmingly voted to remove wands. The best course of action is probably to beta test new nerfing ideas on test center and then slowly reintroduce them after completed test results. That way we can avoid replacing one problem with another problem.

If you're worried about wands being removed, I would post other suggestions that balance pvp. Hybrid seems to be the only shard that desperately needs wands and the bulk of remaining UO players do not share this acquired taste.