UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Kingdom Reborn.

psz

Administrator
Re: Kingdom Reborn.

Graphics != Lag.

The same information is sent to and from the server regardless of graphical content.

The 2D sprites or 3D models could all be single-plane triangles, and the lag would NOT BE AFFECTED.

However, YOUR SYSTEM may slow down. Anyone, though, with a 400mhz computer and a 4mb video card has MORE than enough to handle 2D. Anyone with an 800mhz computer (Ok, I'll be fair: 1Ghz) and a 32MB video card has more than enough for the 3D (current) client.

If you DO experience lag, then it's a route from your ISP to the server that's causing it.

Note: OSI has less lag than every free-shard I've tried that has more than 100 people on at a time. In that case, it's a combination of server-side bandwidth and server-side hardware that causes it. (Demise' hardware is fine, though I personally wonder about some of the routes at times ;->)

In other news: Luna was so congested yesterday that I *FINALLY* had a hint of lag while using Vista ;->

psz

Administrator

All three screens:

Two players, an Ogre (big nose!) and I'm guessing a lich/lich lord/evil mage

Player, Dragon, Three Ratmen, Dead Ratman. This appears to be inside of Wind.

Lizardman (With shovel?!?), Cyclops(I think), Ettin inside, Zombie inside, Lich/Lich Lord/Evil Mage(?), Ogre, Player, and Harpy

psz

Administrator

It's called being Admin :-P

And, it's a Paragon Gold Hiryu, my personal form of transportation.

Oh, and upon comparing the two shots, you can see that they've finally managed to somewhat FIX the aspect angle of models in the new one. It now matches the 2D more closely (Still mathmatically inaccurate, but better ^_^).

*ponders using these screenshots to rip tile graphics from and modify the existing client... Nah, that requires work*

Setsuma

Wanderer

psz said:
However, YOUR SYSTEM may slow down. Anyone, though, with a 400mhz computer and a 4mb video card has MORE than enough to handle 2D. Anyone with an 800mhz computer (Ok, I'll be fair: 1Ghz) and a 32MB video card has more than enough for the 3D (current) client.

Fair enough, but i still get a low framerate around heavy housing locations and areas with a lot of players or mobs. (luna, champ spawns etc)

shyquaker

Wanderer

i think the computer that can be used in 2007 have enuogh capability to burden this kind of graphic.

you can't hope a computer that can play uo in 1997 is still can play new version UO in 2007.there is ten years passed.

if your computer can run 3D UO very well now , i think it will also run KR without any problem.

psz

Administrator

Setsuma: That would be because of how houses are handled. 2D or 3D, it's the same info. How your machine handles it is another story.

shyquaker is dead on, though. A Circa 1997 machine will run UO 2D fine (still does). Can't expect it to support bump mapped, texture filtered 3D graphics, though ;->

Any "Gaming Rig" from 2005 on should be fine for KR. Any current mid level machine will probably run it fine "out of the box"

Of course, this assumes EA is bothering to optimise code ;->

Gathog

Sorceror

Hehe. Anglo-Saxon (or something of the sort) runes. We just did something about old English in my Language class and I memorized the alphebet. I was really surprised to see the text at the top of the screen written in them, but thats cool!

Valk-demise

Wanderer

I think the upgrade is nice and all but I feel that if i wanted this type of graphics/gameplay I would be playing WoW right now. I will admit UO needs some fixes but people play the game based on the experience they get from what they currently have. Makin the game like every other mmorpg just gives new players the idea that they r almost all the same with few differences since the first thing you notice when u load a game is the graphics. Anyways I enjoy UO the way it is.

Durial

Wanderer

Gathog said:
Hehe. Anglo-Saxon (or something of the sort) runes. We just did something about old English in my Language class and I memorized the alphebet. I was really surprised to see the text at the top of the screen written in them, but thats cool!

Actually those are Elder Furthark runes - a form of Norse or 'Viking' writing common throughout Scandanavia and the northern Birtish Isles. Saxons would have used them to a small extent, but they would be very regionally isolated as once the Saxons, Angles, and Jutes learned to read and write - they had created english with it's alphabet in it's nearly modern form.

But back to the topic at hand!

Those screens look quite sweet. I always thought 3rd dawn was a bit of a joke visually - this will be a ncie upgrade. Lets hope they offer a few more resolution options for windowed clients as well as a few redesigns on key skills.

I'd love to see a real melee system put in with stances, attacks, and so forth. Guess we'll have to wait and see how much of a Rebirth they really want this to be. Personally I won't hold my breath, bvut I can dream.

automata

Wanderer

Setsuma said:
Fair enough, but i still get a low framerate around heavy housing locations and areas with a lot of players or mobs. (luna, champ spawns etc)

The UO client doesn't handle lots of sprites at once very well. Its not lag its more like "graphical" lag. And I have a fast computer with a stripped down XP OS. I once tried out krrios client once and was very impressed with how well it displayed graphics. Went to luna it did not experiance any of this "graphical lag" when luna is full of people. I still use original UO client tho. Krrios client doesn't support all the features that I need to play.

Setsuma

Wanderer

Valk-demise said:
I think the upgrade is nice and all but I feel that if i wanted this type of graphics/gameplay I would be playing WoW right now. I will admit UO needs some fixes but people play the game based on the experience they get from what they currently have. Makin the game like every other mmorpg just gives new players the idea that they r almost all the same with few differences since the first thing you notice when u load a game is the graphics. Anyways I enjoy UO the way it is.

I totally agree. UO could use a graphics update, but people agree that's it's already a great game! Personally i think they need to fix some of the ML stuff.. esp. elven robes and clothes because i'm sick of seeing my characters skin sticking out of them.

Kelroth

Wanderer

IMO, there will be a zoom-in option in 2D because you can clearly see the graphics being a bit jaggy, otherwise they'd be smoother when zoomed-out.

I think the 2D client needs MAJOR overhauling because all these 3D-to-2D renders of monsters that are LBR+ are really disgusting and fugly. Also, the new SE/ML clothes are so badly done, when you wear them your player isnt fully covered (take the elven robes for examble, you can see the player's skin through it)

dead-eye

Knight

umm, i dont see any of this on UO.com.

so how do we know this will ever come out? and it isnt someones joke who make a few really nice drawings and then wrote about UO and how they are in the works.

but id be really happy if this came out.