UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Should Magic Arrow Be Removed From Duel Tournaments?

Remove the use of Magic Arrow from standard dueling rules?

• Yes

Votes: 60 53.6%
  • No

Votes: 52 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seer Mia

Wanderer
Should Magic Arrow Be Removed From Duel Tournaments?

I'd like to open this question to discussion from the playerbase. What are your thoughts on the use of the Magery spell Magic Arrow in duels? While it has always been an important part of a mage's arsenal, I can empathize with the complaints I recieve when I see duel after duel in a 1v1 that consists of nothing but one guy spamming Magic Arrow over and over again. While this has not traditionally been barred, there are other spells which are blocked under standard no modification tournaments such as AoE spells or summons. Likewise, warriors are unable to equip poisoned weapons and no one can drink potions. These standards have always existed as dueling is not the same thing as an "anything goes" field fight. Heck, in the days before Age of Shadows, dueling etiquette required only exceptional player made weapons be used in a duel!

So, please post your thoughts on this. Why or why not? Try to make your feedback comprehensive. Explain your position. Trash talking posts will be deleted, so try to keep this discussion intelligent.

This poll will automatically be closed in 7 days.

Edit: Also note that what goes for dueling tournaments does not have to apply to Free For Alls and Capture the Flag events, so feel free to distinguish between the too.

Rhun-demise

Wanderer
Re: Should Magic Arrow Be Removed From Duel Tournaments?

Voted no since magic arrow is very usefull for a mage. Keep this line going and soon a mage can't cast explo either anymore..

I do agree that spamming should be punished by disqualifying that person. For example: Using 3 ma's in a chain is allowed, 4 is not. Also don't allow 3 ma's, poison, 3 ma's etc etc.. you get the point. It's hard to draw an exact line, but this is the gm's call! Act like a referee if you wish :)

Edit: I also think that poisoned weapons should be allowed, but the same rule applies.. no spamming it.. There's no fun in killing a mage by constantly poisoning him. F.e: You can only use it once per minute or so..

Seer Mia

Wanderer

Well, while that might be an ideal compromise, I can anticipate that it would be difficult to enforce. The system is automated, and has the capability to completely block a spell, item, or skill, but it does not have the capability to define use in excess. This is also why we don't have the ability to do an event where the use of say, potions for instance, is limited to a number, because it can either allow it or not. And I'm going to go ahead and advise that my modest ability to work with code would not be advanced enough to implement this.

John-demise

Wanderer

Voted No.

Though spamming MA is a pretty big noob tactic, not being able to use MA in duels would gimp some players who use it as a disrupter inbetween spells.

Rhun-demise

Wanderer

Hmm.. well in that case I say it shouldn't be removed. The spammers are a pain tho :(

Seer Mia

Wanderer

HeadacheBR said:
No.

MA is in the game to be used.

That's not saying much though, as so are summon revenants, Energy Vortexes, Earthquake, potions, and other things that aren't permitted in standard tournament rules.

Edit: Only poisoned weapons, South. ;)

South

Wanderer

Mia and what is with the poison..?
100 skill points omg.....and why..for nothing...

Edit: Mages can use the poison spell...if you don`t have MR it`s your problem
Poisoners can use poisoned weaps but there is parry or def chance or wrestling for disarm....(arch cure too)...it`s not fair for the poor poisoners like me :)

-CBFS-

Sorceror

So Clumsy, Feeblemind and Weaken are not worthy 'interrupters'?

Magic arrow happens to cause damage as well so it tends to get over-used.

Vote: Yes

StrayMissile

Wanderer

i voted for yes, for balance purposes. but instead of blocking so many skills, my proposal would be to allow more of them. i cant see why poisoning with a weapon is blocked when it can be easily applied with magery. i cant see why are total refreshment allowed and not the other. is not good for necros that their main direct damage spells are Poison Strike and Wither, not being able to use these. being constructive, my proposal is: organize more tournaments with more open rulesets, with pots, poisoned weapons, AoE spells, etc, along with the "standart ruleset" tourneys. maybe hold a standart 1v1 first, and then a more open tourney after that. as you see apropiate

Seer Mia said:
That's not saying much though, as so are summon revenants, Energy Vortexes, Earthquake, potions, and other things that aren't permitted in standard tournament rules.

Mia, its common sence. A person would never do that in a PvP.

By the way, PvP = Player vs Player. So that rule is already stated in the name :p

Seer Mia

Wanderer

I don't know who you're fighting, but from my experience "PvP" on the field has always somehow ended up being any number of things: PvPPP, Player vs Joe Shmoe and his two mares, Player vs That Asshole Who keeps summoning EVs and Revs... Player vs Kal Ort Por! Player vs Player & 2 Kegs of Cures and Heals

Not picking on you. Just cracking a joke. :p

The ripper

Wanderer

Voted yes!

the mage pvp here is broken...only magic arrow...the guy with the better spam macro win the fight ¬¬

:mad:

Logain

Wanderer

Hehe was nice Mia :) I voted Yes for balance ,but we all know now mage owned with this cap dmg for warrios.

John-demise

Wanderer

The Mookington said:
if you lose to a magic arrow spam... you're pathetic. Anyone heard of PROTECTION? I vote no.

QFT.

Also like to say never in my UO life (going on 8 years soon) seen a duel with MA blocked. Sure feeble, weaken and clumsy are decent interrupters, but MA is alot better for the very reason that it causes alittle damage while stopping the other guy's spells. You gotta be bad to loose against a MA spam, and don't say "But I lagged!" because if you lag in a duel that bad your going to die anyway. :(

snell

Sorceror

i vote no

let the noobs spam ma as much as they want, they wont beat a good mage with just ma spam

The ripper

Wanderer

I think i was misunderstood...im not asking for complete Romoval of MA in duels...Im asking to block the damage from a second MA spamed on you...Like in OSI....MA doest take damage if spamed...im not asking to remove it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.