UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Shroud of the Avatar. (off topic)

A Richard Garriott game that he has full control over, Yes since it was code named ultimate RPG in 11. The main issue Im having with the game is the PvP and player interaction. They are still taking feedback and changing as they go, to truly give it a change ill wait til release to play. Alpha and Beta testing games tends to ruin games for me.

At some point ill stop throwing my money away on MMOs that cant stand up too the UO play style

lord apollo

Sorceror
Yes, I have been a backer since the kickstarter was announced and have played and tested all 5 pre alpha releases thus far. I have even spoken with Richard Garriott in game. See my profile pic :)

I was very excited about it when it was announced and have become even more excited with every release I've played.

grandpa3

Sorceror
I'm going to play it to be sure. A little concerned when he said there would only be limited housing plots.

lord apollo

Sorceror
I'm going to play it to be sure. A little concerned when he said there would only be limited housing plots.

Also a concern I had. I was worried that by selling plots in the add-on store that by the time the game is released the people like me who prefer to earn a house through normal gameplay rather than paying RL $ for it would have no luck obtaining a house or plot because they would have been all sold in the add-on store. FireLotus and Starr Long (also from UO) have both assured me that this will not be the case however.

grandpa3

Sorceror
I would rather earn my little house myself too. Glad to hear that. I can't afford to be a citizen, and I don't want to have to buy it with real $$

lord apollo

Sorceror
I would rather earn my little house myself too. Glad to hear that. I can't afford to be a citizen, and I don't want to have to buy it with real $$

Agreed. Here is a screenshot I took in game. Made me reminisce back to the first time I ever stood in front of Lord British's castle on OSI back in the late 90's LOL.

The following is for anyone who has no idea what we're talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSZLrF657yo

Attachments

• apollo.jpg
    apollo.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 42

grandpa3

Sorceror
I had been on OSI for a little over a year, when they brought Malas into the game, what a land rush that was. After a year or so there I moved to the vet shard (can't remember the name) and stayed there untill it started to go dead, then moved on.....Star Wars, WoW, Eve, Lotro, now Rift and here. :/ I always seem to come back to UO someplace.

lord apollo

Sorceror
I'm right there with ya, after Mondains Legacy I left OSI, went to other free shards, ventured into WOW, Final Fantasy Online, back to UO. .ended up on Age of Conan which I was really into for a while . .but somehow I ended up here on Demise. UO is just really hard to get away from LOL. I think Shroud of the Avatar is going to be awesome though. Knowing that Richard Garriott is steering that boat I just can't help but to be excited about it.

Kiluad

Sorceror
I like his ideas better than the people who took over when he left. elves, faeries, unicorns.... neon... his new game looks pretty good. i haven't even thought about that game for a couple years now, i'll definitely be trying it out.

Based on what i've read of him, he seems more interested in working with roleplaying gamers than anyone else. probably because he's geared that way himself. so it should be an interesting game to say the least.

el pepino

Sorceror
Anyone watching this, or are planning on giving it a try?

The world was rumored to be based of people you are connected to on Facebook? so if you kill someone and loot them then they can unfriend you and no longer be in "your version of the world"
The mechanics all sounded great the game play even seemed good until Garriot and a pack of his Dev. nerds broke the news about that feature. At that point I became completely disinterested.

lord apollo

Sorceror
Yeah the facebook thing has to be a bad rumor. I've been playing every release thus far and I can tell you, that is completely false.

From the website FAQ
Will SOTA be an MMO?
Shroud of the Avatar is a new form of multiplayer online role playing game we are calling a Selective Multiplayer Game. This will allow players to choose how they want to play. Play options will include solo offline, solo online, friends only online, or open multiplayer online. For players who play in the default open multiplayer, Shroud of the Avatar will feel very much like a traditional MMO.

they will have 3 different modes of the game at release according to some of the pod casts. Offline, friend and open world. So its not completely false but I would assume most people are going to be playing open world.

lord apollo

Sorceror
Actually there will be 4 different modes of the game.

Single Player Offline (Offline)
This is the DRM free, completely off-line version of the game. Your character is stored on your computer and can not be used in any of the online modes.
Single Player Online (SPO)
In the SPO mode you connect to the server, receive content updates, and can see the long term changes others are having on the world. However, you are not visible on anyone else’s screen, nor for grouping, and you don’t see anyone else in the world. You can switch from SPO to FPO or OPO modes whenever you like while in a city or overland map. Some parts of the main storyline quests may temporarily force the player into SPO mode for some parts of the quest.
Friends Only Online (Friends Play Online or FPO)
In friends play online, you only see people you have flagged as friends in the game and only they can see you. Like single player, this is just a server side filter. For those who prefer the quieter game with friends or maybe for those who prefer a more focused role playing experience, this lets you enjoy a more limited online experience. You can switch to SPO or OPO modes whenever you like while in a city or in the overland map.
Multiplayer Online (Open Play Online or OPO)
In OPO players will see everyone that the server thinks they should see. This will not necessarily be all people in the area but should be people you care the most about based on what we believe is their relevance to you. For the most part, OPO will feel like an MMO. Lots of social interaction options with friends and other players. We are trying to distinguish ourselves from traditional MMOs only in that, unlike a normal MMO players are frequently connected directly to each other instead of all data flowing through our servers. We believe this will provide numerous advantages to both players and our service, but does differ from a traditional MMO in that the upper limit of players simultaneously on one map may be restricted.

None of which utilize Facebook. So like I said before. The rumor about the game world being in any way based on who you are connected with on facebook is completely false.

el pepino

Sorceror
I was talking about the "selective multiplayer" option that allows you to play in world with only friends of your choosing optionally linked up to (via facebook, twitter, etc.)
This is a terrible idea because after nerds get shit fed to them once or twice they will probably take to what I like to call the "Muscly Method" and avoid
getting their ass kicked by only playing in the "selective multiplayer" instead of regular multiplayer mode where people might be waiting to kill/loot them.
Once again they are PRE-planning a trammel like aspect into the game. Automatic Fail.

Do you homework and you'll find that I am 100% correct.

I predict an overwhelming amount of player run "Selective Multiplayer" games where you get auto kicked for PvPing. CareBear only games.

Or Brutal get shit fed to you when you log in, kicked for farming resources. PvP only games.

Instead of the wonderful dynamic of the two coupled together in one environment only "Old School UO" could or has provided.

lord apollo

Sorceror
I was talking about the "selective multiplayer" option that allows you to play in world with only friends of your choosing optionally linked up to (via facebook, twitter, etc.)
This is a terrible idea because after nerds get shit fed to them once or twice they will probably take to what I like to call the "Muscly Method" and avoid
getting their ass kicked by only playing in the "selective multiplayer" instead of regular multiplayer mode where people might be waiting to kill/loot them.
Once again they are PRE-planning a trammel like aspect into the game. Automatic Fail.

Do you homework and you'll find that I am 100% correct.

I predict an overwhelming amount of player run "Selective Multiplayer" games where you get auto kicked for PvPing. CareBear only games.

Or Brutal get shit fed to you when you log in, kicked for farming resources. PvP only games.

Instead of the wonderful dynamic of the two coupled together in one environment only "Old School UO" could or has provided.

LOL Do your homework!

You are talking about the Friends Only Online Mode, in which you will only be playing with people you have flagged as friends in the game. The game its self will have tools that you can use to help you find the friends you want to add to your friend list, like it can search your google+, your steam friends, and maybe your email list. Saying the world you will play in will be based off of your facebook friends list though IS 100% COMPLETELY FALSE as the developers have stated that:
Neither Facebook or Twitter will be supported because of API restrictions on both services.[6].
-http://sotawiki.net/sota/Selective_Multiplayer_Online

So what if they are planning a "Trammel" style to the game. You won't be forced to play that way. If you want to PVP you'll have the option to do so, just like on UO now. How is it an automatic fail to offer different aspects of the game?

el pepino

Sorceror
LOL Do your homework!

You are talking about the Friends Only Online Mode, in which you will only be playing with people you have flagged as friends in the game. The game its self will have tools that you can use to help you find the friends you want to add to your friend list, like it can search your google+, your steam friends, and maybe your email list. Saying the world you will play in will be based off of your facebook friends list though IS 100% COMPLETELY FALSE as the developers have stated that:
Neither Facebook or Twitter will be supported because of API restrictions on both services.[6].
-http://sotawiki.net/sota/Selective_Multiplayer_Online

So what if they are planning a "Trammel" style to the game. You won't be forced to play that way. If you want to PVP you'll have the option to do so, just like on UO now. How is it an automatic fail to offer different aspects of the game?

Sounds like you are already too in love with it to be reasoned with. In one of the first look videos the Devs clearly talk about facebook and twitter as an option to connect to friends, no one said it would only be based off that....
The game is still being developed so nothing is set in stone. Look at what a pile of dogshit UO turned into slowly but surely over the years... The fact is nothing will ever take the UO player base that left UO away from terrible games like WoW because people can log in and feel good about the way their character looks and chat in a safe area without some angry nerd ruining their day. So what you are left with is either diehard old school UO pvp fans or, weird "Richard Garriot" Fans that anticipate another ultima online out of him, and if someone is still after all these years worshiping lord British they are probably one of the fruitcakes that farmed inscription on demise to get rich and then eternally sucked at PvP once they got a suit.
The fact of the matter is my little nerdlings, UO was a one of a kind experience that kicked ass while it lasted and died hard with a stale fart. Anticipate what you will but I predict Shroud of the Avatar to be an epic letdown.